Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 06:07:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327904 Posts in 13425 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Resident Evil 5...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Resident Evil 5...  (Read 19935 times)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 06:47:36 PM »

I'm just tired of hearing all these completely bullshit complaints about the game.  "It doesn't have the exact same control scheme as Gears of War, so the game is crap."  "The cutscenes aren't changed to reflect the exact weapon I was holding."  "THIS GAME IS RACIST!!!!1111!!!1!"

The game is fun.  Letting shit like this bother you and hate the game is stupid, and I'm sick of hearing it.

And even if the cutscenes were the in-game engine, it doesn't matter.  The scenes are animated with handguns in mind.  You can't just plug a shotgun into the equation and use the same cutscene, it doesn't work that way.  How are you supposed to take potshots at Wesker with a Grenade Launcher?  They would have to change the entire cutscene, and have variations for every single weapon.  Shit, if they were shooting Rockets they'd have to redesign -levels- based on different cutscenes because you'd be blowing shit up.  The idea that they should have 28937498237 different versions of every cutscene recorded just to display whatever weapon you decided to hold at the time is completely ludicrous.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 09:47:39 PM »

I understand about that, and as I said, it was nitpicking on my part.  I still love the game, and ill defend it to the bitter end.  It was just something that would have been nice, hell even having the big gun on your back, and the pistol model corresponding to the pistol you had would be nice.  Its just an immersion thing, and again its nitpicking.  The game is still great without it, but would be even better with it, if you get my drift.

As for the controls, I guess I dont see the complaints.  The controls feel like they fit the game well.  I mean hell,  its lightyears beyond what the series originally debuted with.

As for the idea that it is ludicrous to have each cutscene rendered differently, if you look at certain games, they do indeed do that very thing.  Granted those scenes are rendered ingame, still its not like it cannot be easily done.  Look at rpgs and the fact that the majority have it so every time you go into battle, or draw your weapon in a cutscene, its whatever weapon you have equipped, and some go so far as to do armors and accessories.  Again its not something that makes the game bad, but if added it would make the game better.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 11:46:52 PM »

As for the idea that it is ludicrous to have each cutscene rendered differently, if you look at certain games, they do indeed do that very thing.  Granted those scenes are rendered ingame, still its not like it cannot be easily done. 

Metal Gear Solid 3 does it with both your weapons and whatever camouflage you're wearing.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 01:20:22 AM »

Look at rpgs and the fact that the majority have it so every time you go into battle, or draw your weapon in a cutscene, its whatever weapon you have equipped, and some go so far as to do armors and accessories.

Yes, but in those instances it's just variations on the same weapon.  It doesn't matter which sword Tidus draws, they're all the same kind of sword and will be used the same way.  That's not how guns work though.

Let's just take the scene where Chris faces off with Wesker in the temple.  The scene involves Chris taking potshots with the handgun.  That scene would play out completely differently is he had a Shotgun, a Rifle, or a Rocket Launcher equipped.  This is not a case of just switching the model of his gun, this is a case of "the scene doesn't work the same way unless he has a handgun".
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 06:02:26 AM »

I'm just tired of hearing all these completely bullshit complaints about the game.  "It doesn't have the exact same control scheme as Gears of War, so the game is crap."  "The cutscenes aren't changed to reflect the exact weapon I was holding."  "THIS GAME IS RACIST!!!!1111!!!1!"

The game is fun.  Letting shit like this bother you and hate the game is stupid, and I'm sick of hearing it.

And even if the cutscenes were the in-game engine, it doesn't matter.  The scenes are animated with handguns in mind.  You can't just plug a shotgun into the equation and use the same cutscene, it doesn't work that way.  How are you supposed to take potshots at Wesker with a Grenade Launcher?  They would have to change the entire cutscene, and have variations for every single weapon.  Shit, if they were shooting Rockets they'd have to redesign -levels- based on different cutscenes because you'd be blowing shit up.  The idea that they should have 28937498237 different versions of every cutscene recorded just to display whatever weapon you decided to hold at the time is completely ludicrous.

I can gladly say that i fully agree with you, yeah, for the first time.

Also, i must be in the minority who thinks the RE franchise was never scary, that word would be more fit for the first 3 Silent Hill games. RE is scary in the same way a Friday the 13th movie is scary, big loud noises and things that jump at you will make anyone jump, but scare? That's a very different thing, not to mention that the scariest thing in the old REs was the awful fixed camera angles.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 06:10:42 AM by ChevalierEagle » Logged
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 06:25:47 AM »

Honestly, the controls are the main thing that puts me off the game. It feels outdated and slow. I just plain donít enjoy controlling either character. I donít know if I could go back to RE4 today and not have it feel a little awkward, so the excuse of ďthatís how the old games controlledĒ doesnít really work for me. RE5 is purely an action game at this stage. I wish it controlled like one.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 08:55:54 AM »

I can gladly say that i fully agree with you, yeah, for the first time.

Also, i must be in the minority who thinks the RE franchise was never scary, that word would be more fit for the first 3 Silent Hill games. RE is scary in the same way a Friday the 13th movie is scary, big loud noises and things that jump at you will make anyone jump, but scare? That's a very different thing, not to mention that the scariest thing in the old REs was the awful fixed camera angles.

REmake is legitimately scary, but the rest of the games aren't, no.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 02:12:52 PM »

Let's just take the scene where Chris faces off with Wesker in the temple.  The scene involves Chris taking potshots with the handgun.  That scene would play out completely differently is he had a Shotgun, a Rifle, or a Rocket Launcher equipped.  This is not a case of just switching the model of his gun, this is a case of "the scene doesn't work the same way unless he has a handgun".

Yeah in that regard it makes sense, and in that case it would be more the different model of handgun and such, and still showing the other weapon on his back.  It does seem that the new outfits show up in cutscenes though, so thats a nice change.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 05:10:55 PM »

I think it's a good game overall but the antiquated controls and Sheva's spotty A.I. keep it from greatness IMO. Playing co-op however is a much better experience. I'm almost done of chapter 5 as of now.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 05:37:28 PM »

Sheva's AI is way more helpfull than most people i have played online with, keep her with enough ammo (not too much) and one or two healing items. Changing the order from cover to attack also makes a difference in certain parts.

I also don't get why people say the controls are "clunky", mind you, if you wait for every enemy just to ambush you while staying in one spot then yeah, you will hate the game no matter what. Also, anyone playing this on PS3? I'm free to play co-op and mercenaries any time.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 11:49:15 AM »

I also don't get why people say the controls are "clunky", mind you, if you wait for every enemy just to ambush you while staying in one spot then yeah, you will hate the game no matter what. Also, anyone playing this on PS3? I'm free to play co-op and mercenaries any time.

I find RE4 and 5's controls to be fine. It's the earlier RE games like the Gamecube ones that were clunky. By the way, I have it on PS3 as well. I want to finish the game by myself first, so I'd be up for mercenaries.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 12:57:52 PM »

I think most would agree that the RE controls are due for an update. I'm used to them and everything and i'm not saying they suck but it gets real sketchy when you have enemies right on top of you. Your character movement is far too slow for one thing and I still find it irritating that you can't move while you shoot. Take Dead Space for example, the controls for that game are much more intuitive. A lot of times in RE it boils down to shoot, quick turn, run, quick turn, shoot. The new cover system feels kind of tacked-on as well. Still, I'm enjoying the game.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 01:17:45 PM »

People keep bringing up Dead Space as being superior, but to be honest, I never felt even remotely scared when playing that game.  Yeah, the action was good, and it was certainly a good game, but it wasn't even half as tense as RE5, and being tense is really what survival horror is about.

Honestly, I really don't see what the big hubbub is about.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 01:33:07 PM »

People keep bringing up Dead Space as being superior, but to be honest, I never felt even remotely scared when playing that game.  Yeah, the action was good, and it was certainly a good game, but it wasn't even half as tense as RE5, and being tense is really what survival horror is about.

You actually play these games in the hopes of being scared? I always played them for the great atmosphere they deliver, never for getting scared as the chances of that are close to zero. I'll have to start up Dead Space again, I haven't played that since around when it came out. From what I recall, I'd say RE5 is a tad more fun, though Dead Space nails the horror atmosphere down much better than RE5 has so far.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2009, 02:14:07 PM »

I don't, but one of the main things I heard before picking up Dead Space was how "terrifying" it was.  I had seen salty oldschool horror fans talking about how constantly scared they wre while playing Dead Space.  Which is why I'm puzzled, because the game wasn't tense or scary at all.  At least RE5 had me panic a few times when things like the Reapers and Chaingun Majini came out of the woodwork.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: