Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 08:57:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334757 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Question for Audio Tech Heads
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Question for Audio Tech Heads  (Read 2028 times)
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2009, 07:10:05 PM »

I own two Harbinger HX151 15" 2-Way Speaker Cabinets and looking for either a Powered Mixer or separate Power amp + Mixer. My question is How do I determine if a powered mixer/mixer and amp is the right one for me speakers?

The last thing I, and pretty much anyway else, want to happen is have them both blow out with the warranty on them already passed their time period. I'll list the info below because linking to the site is just a pain when I can commence copy pasta here:

Harbinger HX151 15" 2-Way Speaker Cabinet Features:

* 15" woofer with 2.5" high-temperature voice coil and 80 oz. magnet
    * 1.75: titanium diaphragm compression driver with 1" exit
    * 90 degrees (horizontal) x 40 degrees (vertical) horn
    * On-board crossover that offers a 12dB/octave network
    * Mounting Cup for Speaker Stand
    * Recessed handles
    * Heavy duty metal grille
    * Carpet covering

Harbinger HX151 15" 2-Way Speaker Cabinet Specifications:

* Power Handling): 300W RMS; 600W peak sine; 1200W peak program
    * Frequency Response: 45 Hz 19 kHz
    * Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
    * Sensitivity (1w, 1m): 98 dB
    * Max SPL: 128 dB

I may be a musician, but when it comes to the actual audio equipment... meh. My forte is with what wires to use in certain situations, not audio equipment knowledge. Thanks for you help, I really appreciate it!

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 07:51:53 PM »

The going wisdom over at TalkBass (a forum I occasionally go on since, well, I play bass) is that you want a power amp that puts out more wattage than your speakers' RMS, so you don't have to crank it up too hard to get great volume.  The wisdom is akin to a V8 car engine driving a lightweight chassis.  If your amp head puts out less wattage than your cabinets can handle, you'll have to crank up the head to get usable volume. 

I know that seems counterintuitive, but it works.  My Gallien-Krueger head puts out 280 watts at 4 ohms and my Avatar cabinet is 250 watts at 4 ohms and at 1/4 volume it's way louder than when that same head (which is 180 watts at 8 ohms) was running through a Hartke cabinet rated at 300 watts/8 ohms.  I don't have to crank the thing and because of that, I'm saving the speaker. 

Having an all in one head is convenient, but having a separate preamp and power amp allows you flexibility and modularity. 

This is speaking for a bass amp rather than a PA system, though I think similar wisdom can apply.  I got an all-in-one Carvin PA system (speakers and mixer/amp) so I didn't buy that as separates. 

And that's not even talking brand quality.  A 200 watt Mackie system will be louder and sound better than a 200 watt Behringer system since the Mackie has higher quality components. 

I don't know if any of this helps.  I was kinda the gearhead in my old band and even then I'm a novice gearhead compared to most. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 08:00:02 PM »

Thanks, I'll look into it. I'm primarily looking for something to use that won't mess up my speakers because I hear that if you use a power mixer/amp that is set for lower watt equipment, it'll ruin the speakers eventually. How much of that is true, I don't know, but I sure as heck don't want to test that theory.

I had a feeling that you were going to post as well, haha, thanks again! :)

If anyone else has their wisdom to bestow upon me that expands on this or something I should keep in account, please let me know. :)

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 10:45:30 PM »

Neal pretty much nailed it.  When you're looking for a power amp, you want one that can can put out roughly twice as much wattage as your speaker's RMS.  The only real way to screw up your speakers would be to buy an amp that's TOO powerful (thereby stressing the fuck out of the speaker cone) or not powerful enough (thereby needing to drive your speakers so much that they clip).

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 10:58:17 PM »

Yeah, that's what I was talking about when it came to having a weaker power amp, I just didn't have the right terminology to explain it (haha). Thanks guys, I'll look into some places now. I appreciate it again. :)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: