Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 04:03:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335282 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Visual Novels
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Visual Novels  (Read 7377 times)
Ulfire

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2009, 09:28:43 PM »

Hello everyone. I've been a long time lurker on the these forums. RPGFan also happens to be my favorite review site. Been checking reviews here for years now. :)

Last week I stumbled into the PC review section and read the Ever 17 review. After doing a bit of research on the genre, I promptly ordered Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Phantom of Inferno, and the Exodus Guilty series. They should arrive this week. I know there are a few more English titles floating around. Yo-Jin-Bo, Ai Yori Aoshi, and Tea Society of a Witch. Are there any others I'm missing? I'd really like to check them all out, as I've played a few demos and freeware games and really enjoy them. (Bloody shame they don't receive more attention)

Games with English translations are fine, however my Japanese ability is very limited so original JPN versions are probably not the best choice. I've heard there are a few titles that are quite good but sport sex scenes and such, which I don't mind as long as it's done tastefully and meshes well with a good story. Not into the rape/bondage/mindless stuff at all. Humor is fine too. :P

If you guys/gals have any recommendations for me, I'd love to hear them!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 10:11:51 AM »

The DS has a bunch.  Hotel Dusk is great.  The Phoenix Wright/Apollo Justice games are great.  I liked Lifesigns: Surgical Unit even though it wasn't always reviewed favorably.  Lux-Pain is coming up for the DS.  The new Jake Hunter looks to be an apology for the piece of crap Jake Hunter game we got last year.  Time Hollow isn't bad.  And though it plays more like a western style graphic adventure and is very short, Trace Memory is fantastic. 

Oh yeah, Fatal Hearts by Hanako Games is an indie visual novel by a US developer.  I rather liked that one. 

I'm the graphic adventure fan on the staff, so my reviews are probably what you've read.  I'll be glad to answer any queries you may have.

I don't know who's going to take up the mantle for English language visual novels since Hirameki closed its doors.  I know Peach Princess is the online store with all the eroge stuff.  Most eroge is extremely degenerate filth, but Crescendo actually had a very compelling storyline and characters. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 10:24:28 PM »

yes, if you like visual novels, you had best own a DS. Good stuff comes out there. I highly recommend Phoenix Wright trilogy + Apollo Justice.

Ulfire

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 01:52:09 AM »

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Yeah, I've read your reviews, Dincrest. Matter of fact, if it wasn't for those reviews, I'd probably have never given the genre a shot. Awareness of these titles on a site like this is great! Guess I woe you a big 'thank you!' :) I'll be purchasing a DSi next month. I already have a GBA, so the non existent BC doesn't bother me. I'll have to look into those games mentioned.

I checked out Peach Princess before I made this post. Needless to say, most of their stuff looks very eroge indeed! Crescendo actually sounds decent though. All other reviews I could pull up of the game are very positive. Think I might give it a shot in the near future.

I stumbled upon two additional visual novels that haven't been plugged. I haven't played them yet, so I'm not sure how good they might be.

The first is 'Narcissu'. It's free, and fully translated in English. Looks very interesting! http://narcissu.insani.org/index.html

The second is 'Animamundi - Dark Alchemist'. Not sure about this one. Looks like it might worth a purchase at it's price.

Has anyone experienced these last two, by chance?
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 09:30:46 AM »

AnimaMundi is one of maybe two Hirameki games I did not get to play.  I liked the opening theme song, though.  It had a bit of a Lacuna Coil vibe to it. 

I can't say I've heard of Narcissu, though. 

Bill

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 01:17:04 PM »

The first is 'Narcissu'. It's free, and fully translated in English. Looks very interesting! http://narcissu.insani.org/index.html

I wasn't particularly fond of Narcissu. However, it's a popular piece (written by a high-profile eroge scenarist/director, Tomo Kataoka) -- one that attempts to tackle more serious themes than the typical game.

The second is 'Animamundi - Dark Alchemist'. Not sure about this one. Looks like it might worth a purchase at it's price.

I haven't played this, but it's a vampire story aimed at female players. Bear in mind that it includes the kind of overtones (and pretty boy imagery) you'd expect in this type of product.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 02:52:47 PM »

It's gotta be better than Twilight, though, right?  I hope. 

In all seriousness, though, I'd say at least 3/4 of the Japanese visual novels available in English are eroge.  Hirameki is the only publisher I can think of in recent memory that published non-eroge visual novels into English. 

Oh yeah, on the DS front as well, it looks like Gaijinworks is localizing a visual novel called Miami Law.  There's a thread about it in misc. games. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 03:12:19 PM by Dincrest » Logged

lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 11:29:03 PM »

Anyone has played Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Umineko no Naku Koro ni, I have heard that they both have great plot and are very interesting and engaging murder mystery visual novels.
I believe they are not eroge, if they are I apologize...
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 12:37:27 AM »

In all seriousness, though, I'd say at least 3/4 of the Japanese visual novels available in English are eroge.  Hirameki is the only publisher I can think of in recent memory that published non-eroge visual novels into English. 

It's worth noting that the ORIGINAL Japanese version of AnimaMundi was Yaoi-eroge-tastic. Pretty sure Hirameki cleaned that up.

...maybe we need a review of that game? and soundtrack? I actually have the latter. :)

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 09:20:46 AM »

From what I found out, some Hirameki games were originally H with the H content cut out.  It was not until after the fact that I found out that Tea Society had H content and I think the most H-tastic storylines were cut out of the US release.  Too bad, because the best character music came from one of the absent storylines.  AnimaMundi is one of the few Hirameki games I never got to play, but their version is the clean version.

EVE: Burst Error was originally H as well, but the H was cut out by Himeya.  Still had an M rating, though.  

Hirameki kept things clean or cleaned things up.  Of course stuff like Ever17, Ai Yori Aoshi, Yo-Jin-Bo, and a few others were never H to begin with.  Hourglass of Summer was not an H game to begin with on PS2, but there was a PC version that tacked on some H content. 

Yu-No was an eroge visual novel with a supposedly killer story as well.  There used to be a gentleman on RPGFan's staff who was more well-versed in the ways of visual novels than I could ever be and Yu-No was one of his personal favorites. 

Oh yeah, here's another US made indie visual novel called Heileen by Tycoon Games.  I never got to play it, but perhaps it's worth knowing that it's there. http://hanakogames.com/heileen.shtml
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 07:41:21 PM by Dincrest » Logged

magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 12:52:21 PM »

If you're into visual novels, you HAVE to play Fate/Stay Night.  It's recently been fan translated by Mirrormoon, and the translation is high quality to boot.  Here's a link to the opening (OP for the anime, but it gets the point across): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z24SnbJYBzU
The setting is basically magic/fantasy in modern day Japan.  Unlike typical visual novels commerically licensed over here, this game is long; you could easily sink 50-100 hours into playing all 3 routes, which are almost completely independent of each other, with very little overlap.  The translation patch is for the PC version, which contains adult scenes (they're about 1% of the gameplay); if I remember correctly the patch allows the adult scenes to be removed as well (which doesn't really affect the story that much, as the scenes were also removed in the official PS2 port).  The game was a smash hit in Japan, but curiously such high profile games hardly ever make it out of the country.

As for Peach Princess titles, these are very hit or miss.  Most of it is indeed garbage; definitely don't trust the game descriptions there to accurately reflect the games.  Kana and Crescendo are good, Princess Waltz is decent, and the upcoming Family Project promises to be good as well.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 01:07:47 PM by magusgs » Logged

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »

Anyone has played Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Umineko no Naku Koro ni, I have heard that they both have great plot and are very interesting and engaging murder mystery visual novels.
I believe they are not eroge, if they are I apologize...

As far as I know the games haven't been translated yet, although there's fan translations in progress.  Fan translations of games are typically slow and unreliable though, so they could be finished in anywhere from 6 months to never.

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
Solas
Soul Seeker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 12:22:56 PM »

If you guys/gals have any recommendations for me, I'd love to hear them!

I'll second Fatal Hearts - it's got an interesting story, and some weird minigames too. Lasts about an hour if you know what you're doing but 13 different ending paths.

There's also Heileen (link) for an english computer one. Many more in the renPY (look it up) community

bored? make some horrible rpg names :F
my rpg making blog
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 05:31:17 PM »

Have you played Heileen?  If so, how is it?  I have not played that one yet, so I'd like to hear some impressions.

Solas
Soul Seeker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 11:22:25 PM »

Have you played Heileen?  If so, how is it?  I have not played that one yet, so I'd like to hear some impressions.

I liked it, but there's not a lot of replayability or action. The best way to know if you'd like it or not is by trying the demo... it ends on a real cliffhanger :)

He also made a flash spinoff, it's decent for the 5 or 10 minutes it takes to play... Heileen the game is somewhat similar style-wise.

bored? make some horrible rpg names :F
my rpg making blog
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: