Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 09:24:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341050 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPG Annoyances/Pet Peeves
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: RPG Annoyances/Pet Peeves  (Read 29466 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 06:36:47 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:36:57 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 06:40:58 PM »

Also, huge empty worlds. Again, Daggerfall syndrome -- let's make everything to scale and the like.

This.  Less is more.  If I want to burn time wandering around I can do that in reality.  In a game, there should always be something interesting to do, something that makes me want to keep playing.  I'd prefer a few small areas with lots of well-crafted content to a vast world with countless generic quests.  In fact, I'd prefer the few small areas with lots of well-crafted content to a few larger areas with both well-crafted content and additional generic quests.  I want my fun concentrated rather than diluted out simply to lengthen the game experience.  Less is more.

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 06:43:45 PM »

It's a small world after all!/One Town per World (if I have to go on an epic quest to save a world that consists of solely one town then fuck it. The world can die for all I care (some exceptions apply)).

Sounds like Star Ocean IV wins that dubious award.

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 06:50:49 PM »

In fact, I'd prefer the few small areas with lots of well-crafted content to a few larger areas with both well-crafted content and additional generic quests.  I want my fun concentrated rather than diluted out simply to lengthen the game experience.  Less is more.

It's good to be concise, but keep in mind that sometimes it's good to have some of that 'filler': think of how fat can make meat more tender. You do too much of it (Daggerfall it sounds like) and it becomes crappy, but something like DQVIII is large enough to FEEL plausible, but not so large as to really get boring via trying to be realistic. Though it helps that the world looks great, you move at a fast (feeling?) pace, and you get fairly early in the game a spell to teleport to most places you've visited for a grand total of 1 MP.

This actually reminds me of something I heard mentioned by John Lasseter in an interview before airing a Studio Ghibli movie on TV: their movies would generally have quiet, peaceful moments that kind of let you catch your breath, while most movies in America focus more on keeping the audience's attention at all times, that it's bad if they're 'reaching for the popcorn'. It's been awhile though so I don't exactly recall how this went.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 07:09:11 PM »

Random encounters

Redundant dialogue.

Redundant dialogue?

Yes, redundant dialogue.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 07:16:19 PM »

1) Lame characters. If I have to spend 30-70 hours with a set of characters, they better not suck too much. Which is why I still have 40+ RPGs to beat....

2) Sci-Fi RPGs on medieval planets.

I can tolerate most stuff, even random battles as long as they're not like the early FFs: take 3 steps and battle.
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 07:18:09 PM »

RPG's that:

Throw all of the instructions at you in the beginning of the game and saying "There you go! See you later!".

HAve regenerating monsters. Once I clear an area, I don't want to have to do it again if I go through that area again.

Force you to backtrack through a dungeon once you've gotten to the end of it.

Ramp up the difficulty all of the sudden, for no apparent reason.

Have too few ways to heal you/your party.

Mix fantasy and Sci-Fi in ways that clash.

magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 10:17:42 PM »

You do too much of it (Daggerfall it sounds like) and it becomes crappy, but something like DQVIII is large enough to FEEL plausible, but not so large as to really get boring via trying to be realistic.

Daggerfall was basically a less polished version of Morrowind, without all the fancy bells and whistles.  I'm sure a lot of people loved it just as they love all Bethesda products.  I just can't get into them.  On the other hand, there's not a whole lot of RPGs with single protagonists that I like (i.e., games where you control a single character and there's no teammates).  Character interaction and story are key elements that draw me into a game.  I can forgive a lot if a game does well in those categories.

There sure is a lot of Star Ocean hate going around though.  I'd been a diehard fan of the series until 4.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:19:36 PM by magusgs » Logged

Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 11:17:10 PM »

There sure is a lot of Star Ocean hate going around though.

It's because the series sucks.

My biggest annoyance?

God damn you Tri-Ace.

I'll agree with lame characters. Most of the time I can't continue a game when the characters are embarrassingly bad. Sometimes I can get past this(Grandia 3), but other times it just saps all my will to play the game(SO4).
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 11:35:37 PM »

Sidequests that Require you to Complete Each Step Immediately no Matter how much of a Pain in the ASS it is to Complete (example: popping in and out of a cave in the first town until the damn fisherman drags up a certain damn pot).

This is the third reason I quit playing TotAbyss although it's more like that only with really twitchy and specific trigger points for sidequests.

It's good to be concise, but keep in mind that sometimes it's good to have some of that 'filler': think of how fat can make meat more tender.

Eusis, I'd have been okay with filler in Daggerfall but Daggerfall was just large, empty expanses not containing anything at all. Literally. NO filler. Just nothing. NOTHING.

Daggerfall was basically a less polished version of Morrowind

No it wasn't. The entire game progression was pretty hugely different, as were most of the mechanics.

Character interaction

JRPGs generally don't have character interaction, unless you count non-interactive cutscenes where your party members talk to eachother, which I don't because cutscenes are non-interactive and non-interactive is the opposite of interactive.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 11:37:12 PM »

Not much of a Tri-Ace fan, here. Only two games they've made that I liked were Valkyrie Profile 1 and Star Ocean 2. It really pains me when a developer takes a light, fun series (Star Ocean), and tries to make it into some kind of dark, serious game with some kind of existential beef to make. It NEVER works; at least, not from my experience. If you want to be serious, start serious. Don't turn a petting zoo into Auschwitz. Now, once in a blue moon, a developer wil take a serious series and make it light and fun... usually, that works for a time.

Ironically, I think of myself as preffering darker-toned, more serious things... but it just doesn't work when a developer tries to take something innocent and simple, and make it mature and complex.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 11:41:43 PM »

There sure is a lot of Star Ocean hate going around though.

It's because the series sucks.

My biggest annoyance?

picture omitted

God damn you Tri-Ace.

I'll agree with lame characters. Most of the time I can't continue a game when the characters are embarrassingly bad. Sometimes I can get past this(Grandia 3), but other times it just saps all my will to play the game(SO4).

Oh bloody fucking what the hell is that WHAT THE HELL IS THAT.

Now I'll never be able to sleep again. God. Fuckdammit.

Star Ocean 2 wasn't that innocent and simple, btw. It tries to be dark and edgy. It just looks cute and simple because it fails at having a coherent plot.

Just like I fail at... Actually, I don't fail at anything. I'm just awesome like that.

o/` I do not dream o/`

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 11:46:21 PM »

*horrifying screenshot*

Jesus fucking Christ.  But that's a good introduction to my number one pet peeve in Japanese RPGs:

Children.

From Palom and Porom all the way to whatever the fuck those abortions above are, using children as player characters or plot devices will never fail to turn me off of a game.  If I see another "preteen wise beyond his/her years" archetype ever again in my life, it will be entirely too soon.  I can barely stomach the concept of teenagers saving the world; seeing kids just a few years past their mom's tit playing an active role in grave matters is an insult to my intelligence.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 12:01:19 AM »

After seeing that screenshot and a bit of the ending sequence for Star Ocean 4, I'm thinking tri-Ace counts as an RPG pet peeve. I should be more precise here though; modern trends in RPG presentations are one of my biggest pet peeves. Higher graphical power in the hands of a developer like them just makes things worse, and if RPGs are going to have the atrocious writing I see in something like SO4 (the worst starts at about 4 minutes in) then they really shouldn't be voice acting it.

Damn, no wonder I enjoy games like Dragon Quest and Etrian Odyssey more than most other JRPGs anymore.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 03:09:02 AM by Eusis » Logged
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 03:03:49 AM »

God fucking dammit it's worse in motion. Screw the uncanny valley, we're into entirely uncharted territory here.

Is it that hard to animate a mouth? I mean, that's like... sub-2001 era facial animation.

Those kids remind me of something though.

http://www.nicknz.co.nz/content/3541/Lazy-Town.png

I mean my god could you been any more puppety.

Another update after watching the video further but why is all of the texture work on the scenery just like a random mess of lines.

Also never seen this in an RPG but there was that semi-recent trend to make everything look like it was covered in vasoline. I think it was some weird side effect of HDR. http://www.sextonivel.com/images/2007/06/9510001yl4.jpg shows it off really... well... ish.

It's like you give someone a powerful GPU and they all forget how to draw or what things look like or basic facts like skin being fairly matte unless it's either really wet or covered in burns.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 03:11:56 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: