Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 04:01:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334573 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPG Annoyances/Pet Peeves
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Print
Author Topic: RPG Annoyances/Pet Peeves  (Read 29114 times)
Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: April 10, 2009, 06:00:22 PM »

But at least the stuff you bought for them comes back with them....

I don't have any examples due to lack of experience but if someone DID join in the early stages and rejoined in the later stages...  that would suck.  Balls.
Anyone know any specific examples?  'Cause I certainly do not.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 08:10:57 PM by Geop » Logged

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: April 10, 2009, 08:08:43 PM »

One I can think of is Garr in Tales of Destiny.  He rescues Stahn in the beginning of the game and is level 9 to Stahn's level 2-3.  He returns to the party later on but he's still level 9 and everyone else is 20 or so.  It's like was he idle the whole time?  He seemed to have been doing a lot of stuff yet gained no EXP? 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: April 10, 2009, 09:19:50 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:33:26 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
seaechiowai
Soldier Nerd

Long live gaming.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: April 11, 2009, 07:04:07 PM »

I've cursed at many moons of skies of arcadia when characters left after I fed them numerous moonberries for their specialized attacks. Hence I don't even powerup those extra guys any more, I just max out vyse first.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: April 11, 2009, 07:37:09 PM »

Suikoden 5 was a particularly cruel violator of that one, in that Sialeeds, who is with you and FORCED into your party for the vast majority of the game, leaves you near the end, and takes everything she had with her.  And since she was a good mage, you probably loaded her up with lots of cool mage equips and good runes.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2009, 08:12:20 PM »

Addendum to comment about how RPGs shouldn't force grinding.

RPGs should not have forced grinding.

RPGs should have fun enough battle systems that the player is willing to do battles enough anyway so that the former issue isn't a problem.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2009, 08:22:29 PM »

RPGs should have fun enough battle systems that the player is willing to do battles enough anyway so that the former issue isn't a problem.

Motherfuck yes.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: April 13, 2009, 09:26:07 AM »

No more mines and sewers! Please! No more!

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: April 13, 2009, 07:35:36 PM »

No more mines and sewers! Please! No more!

I'd add prisons to this.  Sewers and prisons are why I haven't seen the second disk of Xenogears in years. :P

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2009, 09:07:39 AM »

And don't forget deserts.  My least favorite RPG dungeons have always been sewers and deserts.  My least favorite desert was in Stupid Invaders and my least favorite sewer was in Lufia: Ruins of Lore. 

Naruto: Path of the Ninja 2 was one of the few RPGs in recent memory where the desert dungeon was actually fun and well-designed.  And Eternal Eden is one of the few RPGs in recent memory where the sewer dungeon was fun and well-designed.

I guess then that the general peeve would just be poor dungeon design, because the aforementioned games prove that deserts and sewers can be fun dungeons if done right.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:17:22 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2009, 10:00:54 AM »

And don't forget deserts.  My least favorite RPG dungeons have always been sewers and deserts.  My least favorite desert was in Stupid Invaders and my least favorite sewer was in Lufia: Ruins of Lore. 

Naruto: Path of the Ninja 2 was one of the few RPGs in recent memory where the desert dungeon was actually fun and well-designed.  And Eternal Eden is one of the few RPGs in recent memory where the sewer dungeon was fun and well-designed.

I guess then that the general peeve would just be poor dungeon design, because the aforementioned games prove that deserts and sewers can be fun dungeons if done right.

You would need one kick ass sewer to get me excited about it. They all look the same, specially the mines. There's only so much you can do with that theme. I got really tired of mines and sewers with FFXII, if you do everything there is to do in that game you'll spend a lot of time in those.
The first time I heard the word mines in TLR I just wanted to puke, I knew it was coming but still... I mean, they really look the same in every game! Brown/grey color scheme, rails on the ground, the ocasional minecart or skeleton, ugh!

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
kaelkale

I've got balls of steel!

ryukaneda@hotmail.com
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: May 04, 2009, 12:43:21 PM »

Exactly, you'd think they'd try to manipulate the environments to fit the world. Not LOOK like something we already recognize. I think it'd be cool if they just named it a mine/desert/sewer etc. and crafted it into the world the game is made in so we'd know it was a mine/desert/sewer etc. and there would still be that air of familiarity because of the name but it would still fit the world it's in.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: May 04, 2009, 12:51:23 PM »

Exactly, you'd think they'd try to manipulate the environments to fit the world. Not LOOK like something we already recognize. I think it'd be cool if they just named it a mine/desert/sewer etc. and crafted it into the world the game is made in so we'd know it was a mine/desert/sewer etc. and there would still be that air of familiarity because of the name but it would still fit the world it's in.

I'm really curious to see FFXIII's take on this.

You know, when it comes to forests they can get more creative. They just come up with some weird plants and use them instead of real world trees.

I liked the desert in FFXII, you had those crystals and the occasional oasis here and there, it looked good. The worst desert has to be the one in xenogears, all you see is sand and to make it even worse the same screen repeats over and over.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: May 04, 2009, 01:37:19 PM »

Sewers and prisons are why I haven't seen the second disk of Xenogears in years. :P

Dude Norturne was disc 1. Norturne was also a sewer *within* a prison. Norturne is also why I can't stand sewer dungeons.

I'm not a big fan of volcano dungeons either. "The floor can kill you!" Jesus christ no thanks. Mind, if it's a matter of lava just being a harmless obstacle you can't cross, whatever, but if it's like OoT where it DOES make you get dead, especially if you couple it with jumping bits? Wharrgarbl.

I have less of a problem with mines in WRPGs because they tend to look like actual mines and also often let you *mine* for valuable loot, so going in them isn't just "Hey endless maze with a minecart segment (or turtle riding)."

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: May 04, 2009, 01:41:43 PM »

Caves are boring for me.

FFVII's last dungeon was boring IMO
Code:
The crater was kinda dull for a last dungeon in the FFs, compared to FFVIII's Castle, FFIX's historical-background-something dungeon, FFX's Zanarkand and Death Tower.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: