Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 12:04:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329896 Posts in 13521 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPG Annoyances/Pet Peeves
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: RPG Annoyances/Pet Peeves  (Read 28735 times)
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2009, 04:52:13 PM »

Gundams WITH huge boobs bouncing everywhere would be infinitely cooler.  Totally weird, but cool.

Something like this? Though, I am sure there are better examples, that was the closest I could find... :P

In any case, I think I am in love...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 04:54:15 PM by Dizzy » Logged

rpgmike7

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2009, 07:38:09 PM »

Villains whose only goal is to take over the world.

OF COURSE!!!

I also don't like Final Fantasy follow the leader.
constant "grinding" just to "level up" my pc in rpgs is highly annoying, please reply on here.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2009, 09:11:52 PM »

Is this guy some kind of new-age spambot or something?  His posts have no relevance to the things he quotes, his grammar looks almost robotic...I mean, it's unlikely but for some reason when I read this guy's posts I just think "spambot".
Tridius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2009, 08:23:04 AM »

5) This only applies to freeware RPG Maker games, but I don't like it when those games use borrowed music from other RPGs.  I don't enjoy hearing, say, Final Fantasy music in a game that isn't Final Fantasy. 

I have to agree with you on that. Many RPG Maker Games i've been hearing common rpg music form well known games. Namely Final Fantasy and Xenogears. If you going to use music from other video games. Use some that actually fit the theme of the dungeon, and are not well known.

A notorious example Dark Eternal Dissolution. There's a lot of music from Chrono Trigger and Cross in there.
Oh and don't get me started on a certain anime music that's in there too.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2009, 03:20:27 PM »

I agree. When I hear a song from Chrono Trigger in a game that is not Chrono Trigger, I will associate it with Chrono Trigger and how I experienced that game, not with the game I'm currently playing. Stealing popular scores won't make me enjoy a game more, it might even make it forgettable.
seaechiowai
Soldier Nerd

Long live gaming.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2009, 08:03:04 PM »

5) This only applies to freeware RPG Maker games, but I don't like it when those games use borrowed music from other RPGs.  I don't enjoy hearing, say, Final Fantasy music in a game that isn't Final Fantasy. 

I have to agree with you on that. Many RPG Maker Games i've been hearing common rpg music form well known games. Namely Final Fantasy and Xenogears. If you going to use music from other video games. Use some that actually fit the theme of the dungeon, and are not well known.

A notorious example Dark Eternal Dissolution. There's a lot of music from Chrono Trigger and Cross in there.
Oh and don't get me started on a certain anime music that's in there too.

This is a good point, and along with borrowed graphics stands the two reasons that made me stopped bothering with RPG maker games any more. It's really, really hard to take any of those seriously for me.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2009, 08:15:47 PM »

So far, I think the best RPG Maker developers are Aldorlea (Laxius, 3 Stars) and Amaranth (Aveyond.)  Blossomsoft's debut was strong and some of their future projects like Western Lords use their own proprietary engines.  Eternal Eden II looks to build on Eternal Eden's foundations. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2009, 11:12:28 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:34:37 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2009, 11:25:53 PM »

I'm getting tired of silent protagonists. I remember RPGs more fondly when the lead character has, well, character.

Growlanser II and Puzzle Quest(of all things) are good examples. The protagonists don't just have personality, if the situation calls for some decisive action, then they don't mince words.

Wein especially.

Then you shall die as one of them!

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2009, 11:35:33 PM »

I'm getting tired of silent protagonists. I remember RPGs more fondly when the lead character has, well, character.

On the other hand there's no point to them speaking at all if they have nothing worth saying. I might even have a more positive impression of them as silent heroes rather than those that will not shut up ever.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2009, 01:21:40 AM »

I'm getting tired of silent protagonists.

YOU ARE NOW MY MORTAL ENEMY.

Of course so are just about everyone else at the 'Fan, I guess. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person here who not only likes silent protagonists, but prefers them to non-silent protagonists.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2009, 01:31:03 AM »

Well, I came half way there! Seriously, after hearing about how obnoxious Tierkreis's lead gets and hearing the shit SO4's said I'm convinced that, unless you're going to give them decent characterization or at least make them tolerable then there is no need to make them speak.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 01:32:53 AM by Eusis » Logged
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2009, 09:03:16 AM »

Regarding silent protagonists, I think Spoony Mage's sig quote is worth mention. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2009, 12:52:02 PM »

Growlanser II and Puzzle Quest(of all things) are good examples. The protagonists don't just have personality, if the situation calls for some decisive action, then they don't mince words.

Wein especially.

Then you shall die as one of them!

Tir McDohl and Riou Genkaku never said a single word in their respective games, but they have more character and personality than almost any talking hero I've ever seen.

I don't actually have a preference on this matter though, whichever path the developer chooses to go, I want them to go in that direction for a REASON and I want them to execute it well.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2009, 04:12:12 PM »

In theory I like talking main characters more. In practice most RPG devs can't write main characters or dialogue in general.

Anyway! While this is almost entirely a JRPG thing, apparently table top RPGs do it a lot too. I wouldn't know because I rarely play D&D and when I do it's pretty house rules.

Lots of Game Systems That Don't Really Do Anything or Are Usless in Practice, Which Look Good On Paper But are Executed Poorly -- Often With Bizarre/Stupid Acronyms.

-- Cooking, in every Tales game I've played. Sure, it's a mainstay. And in theory, it's useful because you can only have up to 20 gel units of each kind of gel, whereas you get a lot more ingredients in general, so you save your gels for battle and cook outside of battle. In practice, cooking doesn't heal enough HP to be actually useful, 20 of each kind of gels is plenty enough for any given dungeon, and if you need to heal in batte, use a healing mage.

-- Crafting generally doesn't seem that useful in a lot of games that have it. I mean, I know it's a big feature in Star Ocean 2, but I never found myself actually using it. Seemed to have a high fail rate and I didn't get a lot of decent stuff from it. And then I got to Nede at about 20 hours and discovered that SO2 is probably a lot shorter and easier than I thought. In Legend of Mana, the game's too easy on regular mode to bother putting any effort into crafting (Althought it's a lot more essential in the harder modes. Golems also become a LOT better by means of it. Pets and instruments still are arguably not very useful, unless you want to play a straight up magic game for whatever reason).

-- A lot of SMT games have had combo spell features. Outside of Persona 2, I never found these particularly useful. And I'm still early in Persona 2 so what the hell maybe it does get useless. Part of the problem is that some of these combos are sort of obscure. Same thing with Phantasy Star 4.

-- I think I'm the only person here that liked Contact, but seriously. Why the hell did they bother with Mochi? I mean if they wanted a cute little virtual pet thing, you get that with the non-interactive top screen stuff. Um... Kind of similarly, Chocobo World and other kind of goofy VMU games. There are some other similar games I can think of... um... didn't FFIV DS introduce something similar? And mog painting wasn't that useful in Crystal Chronicles either, really.

-- Arguably SH:C would fall into this rampant system-ism trend, except everything in that game actually worked, for some... odd... reason.

-- Rogue Galaxy, which, in an odd twist, DID have individual systems that worked -- it's just that none of them worked together.

-- In a rare WRPG example, I'd say the dialogue minigame in Oblivion. Keep in mind that I'm not picking on minigames here, but rather goofy gameplay systems that don't add anything. Oblivion somehow managed to do both with this thing.

-- Of course, maybe the best examples of this would be time travel and interplanetary travel in Ultima 2...

-- And a question to the peanut gallery: Was magic useful in Terranigma?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: