Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:05:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330187 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPG Annoyances/Pet Peeves
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Print
Author Topic: RPG Annoyances/Pet Peeves  (Read 28772 times)
DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 05, 2009, 02:06:05 AM »

I don't know what you guys are talking about. The sewer in Xenogears is a great dungeon, with its creepiness and all.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: May 05, 2009, 03:07:10 AM »

Sewers and prisons are why I haven't seen the second disk of Xenogears in years. :P

Dude Norturne was disc 1. Norturne was also a sewer *within* a prison. Norturne is also why I can't stand sewer dungeons

I hated that part with a burning passion.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: May 05, 2009, 04:32:20 AM »

Well, I didn't mind the sewer in xenogears. I actually thought it was pretty intense because you were chasing a monster that would probably own you when you found it. There was this creepy vibe because of all the murders and you didn't know what to expect because you hadn't seen it yet. It was kinda like a murder investigation :-) The dungeon itself was decent enough imo.
The desert was worse. Oh, and the final dungeon, my God, what a headache!

But yeah, I'll say it again, please no more mines and sewers. Ever.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: May 05, 2009, 04:37:59 AM »

I don't like the water temples with those puzzles where you have to raise or lower the water level by flipping a bunch of switches divided by atleast 10 random encounters.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: May 05, 2009, 06:52:15 AM »

A place i hated in Xenogears? Two simple words: Babel's tower. Plataforming+awful camera angle+random encounters every 2 seconds = one broken controller.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: May 05, 2009, 07:17:17 AM »

Yeah, that game had too many random encounters, which is another pet peeve of mine by the way. I don't know why I love that game so much considering how many flaws it has. It's funny.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Grass

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: May 05, 2009, 09:53:14 AM »

I haven't played many RPGs, but I've yet see a single RPG with themes like: Liberal values, marxian view of history, analysis of social mechanisms, social and evolutionary psychology, economic inequality and classes  etc. In fact, the only RPG which left me an impression concerning social criticism was Front Mission. FFXII could've had a really good "power to the people"-message (taking the control of history out of gods' hands), but it ended up in a soup of unclarity and barf, with references to the nuclear bombings of WWII.

The philosophical property of RPGs does nothing to describe The Philosophy of Poverty. Which would've been very nice, considering the genre's audience. :) Still not played Xenosaga, though.

[Okey, I'll admit that defeating SIN and thus ending the church's hegemony was very cool. :p]
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 10:14:15 AM by Grass » Logged
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: May 05, 2009, 10:47:33 AM »

I haven't played many RPGs, but I've yet see a single RPG with themes like: *insert a bunch of Marxist stuff here*
Yeah, I'm pissed off that they haven't made my Libertarian, fight-to-free-the-world-from-Commies RPG, too!

But, all kidding aside, some JRPGs do tackle the social issues more than others - Persona 3 and 4 come to mind. If you're looking for a Marxist RPG, well, you're probably going to be looking for a long time. Write one yourself! :)
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: May 05, 2009, 12:33:43 PM »

I haven't played many RPGs, but I've yet see a single RPG with themes like: *insert a bunch of Marxist stuff here*
Yeah, I'm pissed off that they haven't made my Libertarian, fight-to-free-the-world-from-Commies RPG, too!

But, all kidding aside, some JRPGs do tackle the social issues more than others - Persona 3 and 4 come to mind. If you're looking for a Marxist RPG, well, you're probably going to be looking for a long time. Write one yourself! :)

Suikoden comes close... I think
Code:
basically you rebel against the capital and ask different villages to join you in order to topple the capital which oppresses them

I wish to see JRPGs doing parodies of different communities (like regarding Fanboyism and System Wars).

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: May 05, 2009, 02:12:48 PM »

basically you rebel against the capital and ask different villages to join you in order to topple the capital which oppresses them

I'm not sure how that's a spoiler so I'm not putting it in code tags. That's also not Marxism.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: May 05, 2009, 03:24:14 PM »

I haven't played many RPGs, but I've yet see a single RPG with themes like: Liberal values, marxian view of history, analysis of social mechanisms, social and evolutionary psychology, economic inequality and classes  etc. In fact, the only RPG which left me an impression concerning social criticism was Front Mission. FFXII could've had a really good "power to the people"-message (taking the control of history out of gods' hands), but it ended up in a soup of unclarity and barf, with references to the nuclear bombings of WWII.

The philosophical property of RPGs does nothing to describe The Philosophy of Poverty. Which would've been very nice, considering the genre's audience. :) Still not played Xenosaga, though.

[Okey, I'll admit that defeating SIN and thus ending the church's hegemony was very cool. :p]

There are some titles that have a bit of what you're looking for:

Xenogears: Class differences, struggle between individualism and working in a collective society, among other things
Final Fantasy Tactics: Fight of classes
Vagrant Story: State and church almost working as a whole, freedom of choice

Also, don't play Xenosaga if you're looking for a good story.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: