Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 10:08:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341147 Posts in 13943 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan's E3 Awards
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RPGFan's E3 Awards  (Read 2145 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 22, 2006, 05:44:39 PM »

Like them?  Dislike them?

Discuss here.

-John

ADMIN EDIT:  John has apparently forgotten who he is dealing with here.  Behold, a link for the lazy. :P

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 05:52:51 PM »

Everyone else is creaming their pants over Bioshock, but no one is listing it as either an RPG or non-RPG. :(

Seriously, looks good, and I never really got into SS2 anyways (read: scared the shit out of me and I never progressed). I've just glanced over the impressions and the lists of fave games so far, I'll give a thorough look later.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 08:54:19 PM »

I thought that the E3 roundup was very solid and is pretty high up on my Best of E3 lists mainly because of the less mainstream aproach to the games. For example, I don't think that Valkyrie Profile 2 was even mentioned in any other Best of E3 list.

One thing that kind of bugs me though is that almost no one talked about Rogue Galaxy in their recap yet it gets Console RPG of E3. Maybe I just didn't read carefully enough, maybe I'm going blind, but I would be interested to hear what is so great about Rogue Galaxy, especially since what I have read about it so far is it being pure dungeon crawler and not too great. And a Handheld RPG category would have been nice.

Aside from those minor complaints, I'd say great job on the E3 coverage.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 09:08:04 PM »

I think honestly the biggest reason VP2 wasn't listed on anyone else's best of E3 list was because this year was a /very/ strong showing; Hellgate London is looking to be a great spiritual successor to Diablo 2 (though I never cared for the latter much), Mass Effect looks like yet another awesome Bioware game, and NWN2 is looking much better than KotOR2 did.

For whatever it's worth though, while NWN2 took GameSpot's RPG of the Show, Persona 3 was a runner up. :P

Edit: Also, given SS2's lack of popularity, I dare say Bioshock winning so many Best of E3 awards is spitting in the face of the mainstream.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 12:51:51 AM »

Our awards were done a little differently than our personal top 5s - mainly it was a vote over dinner.  Everyone nominated a game that everyone had to go play on the second day of the show, and we voted on the third day.  Valkyrie Profile 2 won for overall, followed by Hellgate for PC, and then Rogue came in third overall for the console score.

Our top 5 was stuff that wowed us personally.

-John

Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 04:44:21 AM »

Glad to see Rogue Galaxy getting so much praise. I'm so eager to play that game.

But, I'm a little surprised that noone mentioned Mass Effect. Knights of the Old Republic was an awesome RPG, and Mass Effect seems to expand and improve on the sci-fi setting and gameplay from that game. It's the one game that could make me a buy a Xbox360.
rubenxce

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 03:41:56 PM »

Sorry to like steal this topic but I have a question.  Did Square Enix said or show anything about Front Mission V at e3?. Was it even released in Japan? Am just wondering cuase I love the Front Mission games.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 03:47:44 PM »

It was released in Japan in December 29th 2005 and has sold more than 200,000 copies over there, but the game was not shown at this year's E3.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 03:54:10 PM »

Quote from: "rubenxce"
Sorry to like steal this topic but I have a question.  Did Square Enix said or show anything about Front Mission V at e3?. Was it even released in Japan? Am just wondering cuase I love the Front Mission games.

Glad to see forum members still don't read our articles.

-John

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 12:55:42 AM »

Everything is coming up roses if you ask me.  Of course 'Mass Effect" will kill and 'BioShock" has tons of potential.   I'm happy that the 360 is getting these games because it's going to be a pretty dry summer from the look of things.  I'm definitely getting FFXII whenever it comes out but as for XIII, I can't really say much since I don't know a lot about it.  I'm going to have to sell myself on the street to get a PS3.  Rogue Galaxy looks great also and i'm SUPER PISSED THAT SHADOWRUN HAS BEEN TOTALLY RAPED AND ALTERED INTO A FPS!!!! FACK!

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: