Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 05:08:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327454 Posts in 13408 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  I give up... NISA is making me sick of localizations....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: I give up... NISA is making me sick of localizations....  (Read 12111 times)
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2009, 05:22:46 PM »

So what now?  Are you folks now going to boycott NISA and refuse to buy any of their games?  Or do you still hold a glimmer of hope for them? 
If they put out Cross Edge with a "we screwed this up ourselves" crashing bug ala Raki in AT2 and don't put out a patch, it's over.

I just got off the phone with Nintendo to get a replacement disc for my copy of FE:RD with the "easy mode import" crashing bug. Free shipping both ways, and they're _actually fixing it_. NISA could take some lessons.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 05:55:04 PM by erwos » Logged
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2009, 05:52:54 PM »

I'm not willing to commit to a boycott, but let's just say this.  I pre-ordered Ar Tonelico 2.  I can deal with grammar errors, but unavoidable game crashes are another matter (no I don't accept "play better" as a viable workaround).  I'm no longer willing to pre-order their games.  This isn't out of spite; it reflects a loss of confidence.  I'm no longer convinced the games they put out will be playable without seeing reviews first.

Hopefully they'll at least fix their broken next-gen games with patches.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 05:54:25 PM by magusgs » Logged

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2009, 07:34:53 PM »

Oh, and I think comparing Working Designs to NIA is more than a little harsh. And that's coming from someone who isn't really a big fan of WD. Sure they weren't exactly faithful to the original material, but it was pretty obvious that they put a whole lot of love into every game they did, and they set standards in quality control and proofreading that were largely absent from JRPGs 'til late into the PSX's lifespan. I wasn't really big on their style of humour, and I think Atlus does all that they did and more nowadays, but comparing their work to a hackjob like the English Ar Tonelico 2 seems a bit much.
This.

Now granted, I am a big fan of Working Designs' games and localizations.  Faithful to the original script, not always.  But at least, far as I'm concerned, their rewrites have been humorous and memorable at best.  Particualrly their later works like the Lunar PS1 ports, Arc the Lad, and Growlanser Generations.  They made their games fun to play and read through, which are two huge requirements in any game for me.  NISA, unfortunately, seems to have gone steadly downhill when it comes to their localizations.  Which is really sad because I like a lot of their games like the Atelier Iris series and Ar Tonelico.  I'd love to support them the way I do Atlus, but it's hard when the latest bits of doom and gloom regarding their titles become very off-putting.  They'd be capable of some really good work if they'd just stop being so lazy and cheap. 

It's still a good thing I don't own a PS3 yet.  A crossover game like this sounds like a lot of fun, but at least I don't have to lament not getting it just yet. 

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2009, 07:37:08 PM »

Or do you still hold a glimmer of hope for them? 

Not if they can't get their press releases right!

If you'd rather not see an embarrassing mess just read John's story where he mercifully spared everyone from the press release.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 09:40:04 PM by Eusis » Logged
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2009, 09:47:25 PM »

Thats a generalized thinking. If a company keeps having bad sales, they won't have the money left to bring any more games.
This thread's mere existance proves that I'm right.  For all your loyalty and/or support, you have nothing to show for it.  It's why Sega keeps shipping out crappy Sonic games.

If you genuinely dislike a company's product offerings, the only logical choice is to cease buying them.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2009, 01:53:19 AM »

So what now?  Are you folks now going to boycott NISA and refuse to buy any of their games?  Or do you still hold a glimmer of hope for them? 

For me, the only upcoming NISA game I have remotely any interest in is A Witch's Tale.  So far, it seems more playful than developer Hitmaker's prior releases (Blade Dancer, Dragoneer's Aria) which were both horribly generic. 

As for "hip IM script" oddities, I still remember when I saw smileys in the Wild Arms: 2nd Ignition text and went "WTF?"  (That was SCEA, but whatever.)

EDIT:  Still, it says something to me that even the most ardent NISA advocates who remained loyal through the nonsense are now just completely fed up with them. 

For me I consider AT2 to be strike 2 (with Rhapsody being strike number 1). I'll give them a chance to clean up their act like Atlus did, but if they screw up one more time that'll be the end of it.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2009, 02:08:14 AM »

Atlus improved after several years. If NISA is ever going to improve it's not going to be immediate.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2009, 09:00:10 AM »

Atlus was also only bad during a time when other companies weren't doing much better.  Their muck up translation of Persona 1 came out a time when things like that were commonplace and almost expected.

When the market changed towards people who wanted more accurate and exact translations, they changed.

NISA is growing up in this environment.  They're going to need to get on the ball that much faster.  And they're not.
glamdring1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2009, 12:08:21 PM »

Personally, I'm going to be getting cross edge when it comes out, but if it is botched as bad as AT2 was then I'm going to be waiting and buying any further games from NISA used so that I don't actually give them any money.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: