Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 02:48:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
328022 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Your current-gen top rpg list
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Your current-gen top rpg list  (Read 14901 times)
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 07:13:57 PM »

Valkyria Chronicles and Jeanne D'arc.
FormlessHaibane
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 01:42:42 AM »

Fallout 3, The World Ends With You, Mass Effect, and Tale of Vesperia.

If I had a PS3 I'm sure Valkyria Chronicles would be on that list.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 01:59:39 AM »

What I would consider 'Current Generation RPGs' are PS3, 360 and Wii games. As far as I'm concerned, portables 'advance' by generation independently of consoles. Taking that to heart, my list consists of:

Lost Odyssey
Tales of Vesperia
Fallout 3
Valkyria Chronicles
Eternal Sonata

Yes, many people hate that last one, but I think the game world is beautiful enough and the inspiration unique enough (and I find the gameplay enjoyable too) that it gets on my list.

Handhelds alone, my list looks like:
Suikoden Tierkreis
The World Ends With You
Crisis Core
Jeanne D'Arc

Neither are in any real order.

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 02:27:17 AM »

The only RPGs I've played this generation are Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Dragon Quest IV, and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (if you count the last two anyway). I can't say I was particularly thrilled by any of them. I really wanted to like Radiant Dawn because it did tie up some plot holes from Path of Radiance and because it is a Fire Emblem game. But I didn't like how the narrative was structured, and, as a result of said narrative's poor structural integrity, character development (both personality and statistical) took a major hit.
Code:
The game's climax taking place at the end of part 3 didn't help much either.

I think I liked DQIV and FE:SD better in spite of their "rudimentary" narratives.

Anyway, there is a PS3 on the horizon for me, so when that comes I'll hopefully get a chance to play some I've missed out on so far.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 06:34:18 AM »

I can't be bothered ordering them, so....

Valkyria Chronicles
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
The World Ends With You
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Mass Effect
Eternal Sonata
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 09:29:30 AM »

Barring that, I guess I'd put the two Crystal Chronicles games at the top of my list
Considering how mediocre Ring of Fates was, I sure hope you mean the matching Echoes of Time games.

Anyways, I guess TWEWY deserves a mention because of sheer uniqueness. But the real tragedy is how many people are totally missing Jeanne D'Arc and Crisis Core due to lack of PSP ownership, not to mention the FF1+2 and SO1+2 remakes.
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 12:13:09 PM »

But the real tragedy is how many people are totally missing Jeanne D'Arc and Crisis Core due to lack of PSP ownership, not to mention the FF1+2 and SO1+2 remakes.

Hm, last time I played it, FF1 & FF2 didn't differ much from their previous remakes.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 12:37:30 PM »

But the real tragedy is how many people are totally missing Jeanne D'Arc and Crisis Core due to lack of PSP ownership, not to mention the FF1+2 and SO1+2 remakes.

Missing FF2 is not a tragedy.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 04:44:15 PM »

Barring that, I guess I'd put the two Crystal Chronicles games at the top of my list
Considering how mediocre Ring of Fates was, I sure hope you mean the matching Echoes of Time games.

I mean RoF and MLAAK.

But the real tragedy is how many people are totally missing Jeanne D'Arc and Crisis Core due to lack of PSP ownership

I missed Crisis Core due to lack of interest. I enjoyed what little I've played of Jeanne D'arc though.
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 05:28:08 PM »

Hm, last time I played it, FF1 & FF2 didn't differ much from their previous remakes.
I felt that between the much-improved graphics and "definitive" completeness that they were pretty worthwhile, if overpriced.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009, 07:47:25 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:49:13 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 07:51:24 PM »

Origins also gives much improved graphics compared to it's predecessors (i.e. the original versions of each game), but you don't have to settle for the neutered challenge that the subsequent remakes offer.

That'd be more of a blessing in the case of FFII, but yes. FF1 had it's magic system revamped to be less like D&D/FFIII and more like the rest of the series, and Origins compromised with an easier difficulty setting, better graphics, and some other modern conveniences (if your target dies before the attack goes, it'll go to another enemy instead).
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2009, 09:32:33 PM »

Top RPGs I Liked
1. Mass Effect
2. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
3. Tales of Vesperia
4. Valkyria Chronicles

Top RPGs That Made Me Quit Playing Them
1. Star Ocean 4
2. Enchanted Arms
3. Eternal Sonata
4. Lost Odyssey
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2009, 12:28:46 AM »

Tales of Vesperia / Symphonia 2
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Those are like, the only RPGs I played this gen though. But SO4 is coming in the mail, and I'm playing The Last Remnant right now. I honestly do not care about most of games this time around. I do plan to get my hands on Lost Odyssey, Valkyria Chronicles, and Eternal Sonata though.......... someday.

If we are throwing handheld games into the mix though:
Castlevania: AoS / PoR / OoE
Ace Attorney games

Antizerg

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2009, 12:45:47 AM »

glad to see alot of people are choosin eternal sonata. where were you people at 3 months ago when i was gettin flamed for sayin the game was a decent current-gen rpg. Now i will say as time progresses and more decent rpg's are released it probably wont make most people's current-gen top 5 list, but i see it stayin on alot of top 10s.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: