Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 08:39:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334704 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Your current-gen top rpg list
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Your current-gen top rpg list  (Read 15119 times)
HeeHo

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2009, 02:18:04 AM »

Nah, Eternal Sonata is still a turd, IMHO. It's very, very far from my top 10 list.

For me this gen (I haven't played FO3, SO4, or VC, mind you)

1) Oblivion (by far)
2) Jeanne D'Arc
3) Mass Effect
4) Etrian Odyssey

I haven't played a lot though, like a lot of PSP stuff and DS stuff. I'm pretty excited for the DQ remakes though.

eXaX

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2009, 05:11:21 AM »

Not to many actually. I've played a couple of the current-gen rpgs (and with that I'll include Ds) and some of them I've enjoyed playing and yet they are pretty average if you compare them to the excellent rpgs of the last-gen (Enchanted Arms for example). Those games I won't list and because of that my list becomes really small.

So the games I thought were great become the following:

Lost Odyssey
Castlevania:Order of Ecclesia

......yeah......

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2009, 05:35:42 AM »

glad to see alot of people are choosin eternal sonata. where were you people at 3 months ago when i was gettin flamed for sayin the game was a decent current-gen rpg.

I hadn't even played it three months ago, so I couldn't say anything. Stupid PAL releases....

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2009, 08:04:59 AM »

I played the original PAL release back in 2007. It was pretty average.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2009, 08:44:13 AM »

In no particular order:

Fallout 3
Valkyria Chronicles
Devil Survivor
Demon's Souls
Disgaea 3

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
kaelkale

I've got balls of steel!

ryukaneda@hotmail.com
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2009, 02:19:39 AM »

Mass Effect easily captures the top stop followed distantly by Oblivion. After that it's pretty much open water. As far as handhelds go I really enjoyed Crisis Core especially the story; even if it was retardedly easy. Jeanne D'arc was pretty interesting but I haven't finished it. Not sure after that might add more as I remember them.

*Edit* SO4 is pretty sweet too but I'm only about 10 hours in, the battle system is easily more fun than 3's with blindsiding/chain-rush combos/move customization. Can't say much about the story since I'm not that far in, seems like standard sci-fi fare though.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 02:22:07 AM by kaelkale » Logged

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2009, 02:47:38 AM »

Okay, lemme see what I've played and finished so far...

Dragon Quest Monsters - JOKER
Lunar Dragon Song
Children of Mana
Luminous Arc
Final Fantasy III
Etrian Odyssey
From the Abyss
Dragon Quest V
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Popolocrois
Astonishia Story
(Puzzle Quest)
Riviera: The Promised Land

That's more than I thought I had played, but most of it is crap or port/remake. There is very little that is actually exclusive to the new consoles/handhelds. My brother owns a Xbox 360 and I've played Blue Dragon and Fable II on it, so I'll count those as well.

A top 5 would probably look like:
1. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
2. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
3. Etrian Odyssey
4. Dragon Quest V
5. Fable

Frankly, the PS2 is the system I use the most. Companies are still releasing all sorts of RPGs for it. Last month I had a lot of fun with Mana Khemia and now I'm pouring all my free time into Persona 4.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2009, 09:06:28 AM »

I'm quite a bit behind on my "current-gen" rpg playing. I have only played through and completed Mass Effect. Then again, not a whole lot else looks to be worth playing through, so...
1. Mass Effect

It seems no one knows how to make a GREAT(universally acclaimed) jrpg with the current technology. Every game that comes out seems to have some pretty major flaws. Doesn't seem to be much on the horizon either, besides FF XIII. It's all so...sad.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2009, 09:45:31 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:48:50 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2009, 11:33:21 AM »

It seems no one knows how to make a GREAT(universally acclaimed) jrpg with the current technology. Every game that comes out seems to have some pretty major flaws. Doesn't seem to be much on the horizon either, besides FF XIII. It's all so...sad.

What do you mean? We got Valkyria Chronicles. I'd say that's one, two, and three.
I've heard that's good. I thought it was more of a strategy game than standard rpg, though. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.
When Sony decides to lower the ridiculous price of the PS3 I will get one. I'm sure Valkyria will be one of my first purchases.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2009, 07:46:43 PM »

What do you mean? We got Valkyria Chronicles. I'd say that's one, two, and three.
I've heard that's good. I thought it was more of a strategy game than standard rpg, though. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.
When Sony decides to lower the ridiculous price of the PS3 I will get one. I'm sure Valkyria will be one of my first purchases.

Yes, Valkyria Chronicles is a an SRPG, nverless, it's a great game in all fronts and deserves the praise it has got.

I'm also dissapointed with the lackluster quality of RPGs on the current generation, then again, i think tha goes for this entire home console generation in all genres equally.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2009, 08:40:22 PM »

But if you like shooters it's pretty solid! But yeah, I've been wanting platformers and basically have to settle for Sonic Unleashed since it's the closest to what I want after Banjo & Kazooie went with vehicle making instead.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2009, 08:57:56 PM »

Wii has some pretty solid platformers.  Mario, Klanoa remake, Warioland: Shake, de Blob, and I'm sure there are more.

This console gen has been pretty good to us.  I dunno what you guys are smoking.  Dead Space, FE10, Madworld, SF4, RE5, Lost Odyssey, Mario Galaxy, No More Heroes, Valkyria Chronicles, Megaman 9, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Devil May Cry 4, Fallout 3, Zack and Wiki, and that's just off the top of my head.  This gen has been AWESOME pretty much across the board.  And hell, we even saw the resurgence of some dead genres, like Fighters, SHMUPs, Lightgun shooters, and puzzle/adventures.  If that's not an amazing time to be a gamer, I don't know what is.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2009, 09:03:18 PM »

Actually, yeah, I was thinking of just PS3/360 and being kind dumb. No, it's pretty great overall, undoubtedly there'll be better equivalents to quite a few from prior years, but so many of this quality at once? Though I hold 1998 as the single best year in gaming it's been pretty good as of late.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2009, 10:35:38 PM »

If you want platformers on the 360, you don't need to settle for the Sonic game.  For my money, Mirror's Edge & N+ are the two best platformers of this generation (yes, better than Mario Galaxy, although I don't have a PS3 so I can't compare them to Ratchet & Clank) & fantastic games in general.  Prince of Persia and the recent Tomb Raiders are both pretty good as well.  And it looks like there'll be a lot of platformers on XNA Community Games like A Fading Melody (200 MS points, came out last week, good old school platformer although a little short).

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: