Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 06:29:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341139 Posts in 13942 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy WiiWare/Virtual Console announcements
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy WiiWare/Virtual Console announcements  (Read 2692 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2009, 04:35:25 PM »

Siliconera link. We'll get Final Fantasy on the Virtual Console (and Japan will get all 6 of the pre-PS1 game), and for WiiWare there will be a followup to My Life as King, My Life as a Darklord, and there'll be Final Fantasy IV: The After Years

... I think Square blew a perfectly good oppurtunity at making this look like an SNES game, and in attempting to spruce it up wound up making it look like an RPGMaker game instead.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 04:40:34 PM »

I dunno if I'd be quite /that/ negative, I think it looks alright.  It'll definitely be worth eight or ten bucks.  ...HEAR THAT NINTENDO AND SQUEENIX.  THIS ISN'T GOING TO BE WORTH ANY MORE THAN TEN BUCKS.  No damned...  Mobile game is gonna be worth more than that.  I can see them charging 20 bucks for it, which would piss me off.

Kind of cool to see all the NES / SNES FFs get onto VC though.  But at this point...  Man, how many copies of these games do we need?  :P

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 04:54:49 PM »

I'm kinda sorta interested in FF4: The After, but not really.  I wouldn't pay more than $8-10.  The rest I couldn't possibly care less about.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 05:06:43 PM »

Definitely excited for Final Fantasy 4: The After. I was begging for that to come over. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord sounds interesting; the concept has me curious. I saw a screen shot of that game, and it looks different than My Life as a King.

As for the other FFs coming to Virtual Console, meh. We've gotten several past iterations of them in the past. No thanks. :P
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 05:07:10 PM »

I was more interested in the potential of how they'd handle FFIV: The After than the game itself. Since they seemed to have gone the route of poorly updating rather than replicating the SNES experience I'm less interested in it, especially since those screens further reinforce my suspicion that it was really a terrible idea.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 05:11:24 PM »

We'll get Final Fantasy on the Virtual Console (and Japan will get all 6 of the pre-PS1 game)

My prediction: We will ONLY get FFI and MAYBE FF4 (in a year or so).

They won't bother translating FF2, 3, and 5 for the NES/SNES versions. And I bet you anything that FF6 gets a 3D remake pretty soon, they don't want to cut into their sales. If you look at any other game: if there's a possibility of a remake/port to any modern console, you won't see it on VC. FF4 DS's sales will probably drop to 5% by the end of 2009, only then will there be a possibiliy of it showing up on VC.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 05:15:27 PM »

They could be waiting on a better handheld for remaking VI, IV was already pushing it, though I bet they could fit a lot more on if they just scrapped the damn opening movie. V DOES have a translation though, even if it's a shitty one, and I'd buy it for 900 points out of novelty.

Oh, and I've heard IV is confirmed.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 05:19:59 PM »

They could be waiting on a better handheld for remaking VI, IV was already pushing it, though I bet they could fit a lot more on if they just scrapped the damn opening movie. V DOES have a translation though, even if it's a shitty one, and I'd buy it for 900 points out of novelty.

Oh, and I've heard IV is confirmed.

That's it... next handheld needs to allow for multi-cartridge games. It's not impossible, either.

FFV doesn't have an official translation on SNES programming. FFV GBA may look the same, and it uses all the same graphics, but the GBA uses a different chipset, so the code is different. Sure, they could copy/paste it into the SNES version (which would work with VC), but I'm not sure how easy that is. From what I've seen, noone goes out of their way, in the slightest, to make edits for the VC. Basically, if they can't just throw it into the pre-compiler and let it do it's thing, then it's not worth the effort.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 05:34:15 PM »

FFV doesn't have an official translation on SNES programming. FFV GBA may look the same, and it uses all the same graphics, but the GBA uses a different chipset, so the code is different. Sure, they could copy/paste it into the SNES version (which would work with VC), but I'm not sure how easy that is. From what I've seen, noone goes out of their way, in the slightest, to make edits for the VC. Basically, if they can't just throw it into the pre-compiler and let it do it's thing, then it's not worth the effort.

There was a translation that was going to be used in releases that never came to be and ultimately got used for the PS1 release, that seems like one that could fit on an SNES game, maybe even already on a beta they have laying around. If I'm right then it'd be fairly easy to re-release.

Oh, and some minor changes HAVE been done to VC games before. Jihad became Laser in Ogre Battle, the Yo-Yo in Startropics became the Island Star, and all the Kawasaki ads in Wave Race 64 were replaced with Wii/DS banners (which I think is kinda stupid due to being a blatant anachronism).
Antizerg

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 01:20:44 AM »

im interested in the final fantasy after years, ill wait for the rpgfan.com review.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 01:29:44 AM »

I really am considering getting FF1. It'd be more convenient than hooking up the NES, and I've been warming up more and more to older RPGs. Then again FF Origins offers the same thing but prettier, and with some modern enhancements (no wasting hits because the original target's dead!).
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 03:41:51 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:39:21 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 05:42:52 AM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/Final_Fantasy_IV_The_After_Years/ss-003.jpg

Good to see Square maintaining their usual standards of writing quality.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 09:35:11 AM »

I really am considering getting FF1. It'd be more convenient than hooking up the NES, and I've been warming up more and more to older RPGs. Then again FF Origins offers the same thing but prettier, and with some modern enhancements (no wasting hits because the original target's dead!).
This is the reason I've been keeping my Gamecube w/ GBA Player hooked up. :)

I think there was some initially mistaken reporting that FF4 was coming to VC, too, which is why it seems a bit confused.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 05:06:44 PM »

and in attempting to spruce it up wound up making it look like an RPGMaker game instead.

Heh, and not one of the good ones either.  Seriously, though 95% of RPG Maker games out there are crap, some look pretty freakin' good.  This demo I played of a Blade Runner type RPG Maker game called Ascendence looked fantastic. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 05:34:50 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: