Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 04:45:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340968 Posts in 13937 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Pastor w/ 5 kids takes in child killer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pastor w/ 5 kids takes in child killer  (Read 2546 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2009, 09:28:46 PM »

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2009/03/19/pastors_outreach_hits_a_nerve/

I'd like to hear peoples' takes on this story.

The pastor had a brief stint (about 4 years) at the church I attended throughout my youth. He's a totally hip guy ... but this is wild.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:35:33 PM »

That one man can offer forgiveness to someone for whom everyone else wants vengeance... he's a far stronger man than I, that's for damn sure.  If I were a father with children, I sure as hell wouldn't want to live down the road from a guy harboring a convicted child killer.  The psychologist in me is all for trying to help and rehabilitate.  But if I were a parent, I'd be calling for blood.  The school counselor in me is 100% about enforcing the safety and well-being of children in school, so that part of me would be calling for justice as well. 

People will say that rehabilitation facilities like group homes and this kind of rehabilitative foster/home care are great... but once asked if they'd want one in their neighborhood, they'll balk at the idea. 

« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:14:22 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 11:51:57 PM »

Well, he does have a point about this biblically being what Jesus in particular stood for, but I wouldn't want to risk a situation like that personally because more often than not people won't change fundamentally.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 04:22:28 AM »

I think the guy is respectable for showing kindness to somebody that everyone else only shows vitriol, but I also think his decision is unnecessarily risky. There's always the chance that this guy really is rehabilitated, but hindsight is always 20/20, and if I had kids I wouldn't risk their lives to prove that one guy really is no longer a danger to society.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 09:51:50 AM »

Interesting. I think the pastor is a bit loony for doing this, but I understand what he is doing and why.
As for the peoples reaction. What is better - The evil you know about or the one you don't? They act like everything was peachy before this guy showed up. Somehow I doubt that. One of the comments for that article even mentioned there being registered sex offenders in the town. I wonder how many of those people know that. It IS public information after all.
Personally, being the father of an 8 year old, I would not in any way be thrilled about this guy living in my town. It's a no-brainer.
But where is the guy supposed to go? Are there retirement homes for prisoners?

In my world the guy would have been offed as soon as he pleaded guilty. End of problem.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 03:27:09 PM »

In my world the guy would have been offed as soon as he pleaded guilty. End of problem.

QFT.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 06:35:02 PM »

But where is the guy supposed to go? Are there retirement homes for prisoners?

Well, there are halfway-homes, and some ex-convicts spend the rest of their lives in them. It's like a community of ex-prisoners in one neighborhood, and they're allowed to interact with the public in limited intervals. (see them in "Girl Interrupted").

Also,

http://abcnews.go.com/gma

Currently it's the third video down. I think my ex-pastor/friend is a little surprised about getting national attention over it. He's never really been a press-whore before. I haven't talked to him in person to see how it's going, but a lot of my friends have been in touch with him and so far things are going well.

Thanks for the feedback, all. And GR/Losfer...I think in my world, it may be the same thing. Even though I consider myself a Christian too, I might just be a bit too pragmatic to do the radical things this guy is doing.

I think the best argument out there thus far is "if they have room in their house to care for someone else, why not a foster kid or a homeless person who hasn't committed murder?" Apparently, their only answer is that they feel "called" to prison ministry. Jesus did forgive the one dude on the other cross, as well as some prostitutes ... but I don't recall Jesus giving thumbs-up to murderers. The Catholic church has the whole mortal vs. venial sin thing for these issues, whereas protestants say "the blood of Jesus covers all sins." So idk...

also, I think it's strange that Guay (the murderer) hasn't ever sought forgiveness from the family, when he claims to be a "born-again Christian." Maybe he just assumes any apology would be in vain, but the family makes a good point in the GMA video.

Ramza

Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 07:00:06 PM »

Getting on the daddy bandwagon, I would never EVER do this, for one important reason; I have a child. If you want to take in a convict who you think is reformed, that's laudable, but to do so when the possibility exists that your children could come to harm is reckless and irresponsible.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 07:45:48 PM »

Getting on the daddy bandwagon, I would never EVER do this, for one important reason; I have a child. If you want to take in a convict who you think is reformed, that's laudable, but to do so when the possibility exists that your children could come to harm is reckless and irresponsible.
Absolutely agree.

[/url]
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 10:38:01 PM »

If he didnt have kids in the home, I would totally support this.  I mean not being a parents, I dont feel any more anger towards a pedo than I do a murderer or normal rapist.  To me they are all horrible crimes, none any more the worse.  I also agree that most people need to get the death penalty because A. many cannot reform.  These are mental diseases for the most part and there is really no prozac or xanex or whatever to help cure it.  I know it can seem cruel, but in many ways, especially for those of them that feel remorse and guilt and hate what they are, it can be a kindness.  B. because prisons are way to crowded, we cannot afford it, and I say if the case is clear cut and all that, kill em, burn em, and stick em in a jar.  Its just better for everyone that way.  But thats my opinion.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: