Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 04:30:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319776 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Old Skool
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Old Skool  (Read 4236 times)
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2006, 02:05:12 AM »

So I recently had the chance to finally play some games that were never released in Europe, well when I say play I mean dabble as I haven't decided which ones to play first. I have acquired the following games:

Dragon Quest 4,5,6
Bahamut Lagoon
Terranigma
Seiken Densetsu 3
FF iii
Secret of Evermore
Star Ocean

S yeah, I'll be a busy buys Bee now, I quite WoW recently so this is my main reason for amassing these games, I need something to occupy my new realm of free time. So, what are your opinions on these games? have any of you played them extensivly? I am looking forward to playing them through. Along with Oblivion and FF x.

<3 old skool RPG's

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 02:11:40 AM »

Quote from: "Starbreaker"
So I recently had the chance to finally play some games that were never released in Europe, well when I say play I mean dabble as I haven't decided which ones to play first. I have acquired the following games:

Dragon Quest 4,5,6
Bahamut Lagoon
Terranigma
Seiken Densetsu 3
FF iii
Secret of Evermore
Star Ocean

That, uhhh, came out in Europe. Anyways, decent looking roster of games I suppose; I wish DQV would come out here though.
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 02:22:15 AM »

Are you sure? I never saw it, back in the day... maybe I missed it :/
I think I'll start with Seiken Densetsu 3 as I was a fanatical Secret of Mana fan and was very sad never to have been able to play SoM 2.  Then it wll be on to Chrono Trigger and finally DQ vi. Not to impressed with Terranigma so far, but Bahamut Lagoon looks mental.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 02:24:34 AM »

Quote from: "Starbreaker"
Are you sure? I never saw it, back in the day... maybe I missed it :/

I recall reading that in a magazine, and it was a pretty big deal about how it came out over in PAL territories but not in America. Plus, Terranigma wasn't the name of the japanese release. :P
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 02:38:54 AM »

And we still like to bring it up whenever someone mentions any RPG that wasn't released in Europe, it's like an ultimate weapon. Game was called Tenchi Souzou in Japan. I think that means something like Creation of Heaven and Earth.

Secret of Evermore was also released in Europe. Also a pretty big release, Nintendo even put screensshots on their SNES boxes. French version came with free strategy guide. French RPGs always came with a strategy guide, does that say something about the intelligence of your average French player?

Eh, anyway. I'dd start with Terranigma. It's not too long (my first playthrough took me 18 hours), but IMO it's one of the best Action RPGs ever. Beginning is somewhat slow, but everything past the five towers is pure awesome.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 04:35:49 AM »

Yeah, Terranigma was released in Europe. It's the third part of the Soul Blazer-series. All of them are pretty decent action RPGs, and Terranigma is particularly good.

I haven't played all the other games on your list, but Secret of Evermore and Seiken Densetsu 3 are okay I guess, but you'll be sorely disappointed if you expect them to be anywhere near as great as Secret of Mana.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 09:34:49 AM »

Bah, you youngins.  No RPG as new as the SNES deserves to be called old school.  Back in my day, we had to gain walk to school gaining XP both ways without any shoes for defense.  We had none of them darn auto-attack system, nay our characters were so stupid, they'd attack dead enemies. ;)

Anyway, of the games you listed, I like the Dragon Quest games the best.  DQ4 is the best NES RPG of all time, DQ5 is light fun, and DQ6 has a fun job system (but you don't unlock it for a while).  Of the Action/RPGs, I like Seiken Densetsu 3 the best.   Can't speak for Bahamut Lagoon: I played it for about a half hour and decided it wasn't for me.  Same thing with Star Ocean.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 09:35:32 AM »

Also, when you start playing Secret of Evermore, don't expect another Secret of Mana game. Though is does borrow the engine, the setting and story are very different. If you don't expect Secret of Mana 2, you'll find plenty of things to like. I loved the bosses (they are huge!) and the locations. Oh, and the dog of course, who doesn't love the doggie?
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 10:06:59 AM »

I love secret of evermore....I still have an actual copy I believe.
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 11:19:04 AM »

I played Secret of Evermore years ago, my main reason for getting these games is to help break my MMO addiction. I was looking forward to Seiken Densetsu 3, as Secret of Mana is my favourite RPG of all time, yes even more so than any FF or Zelda title. Also I heard Bahamut Lagoon was extraordinary from Edge magazine.

I'll play them through anyway, I also just received Illusion of Gaia also, if anyone else has any more suggestions I would appreciate them.

Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 11:51:57 AM »

Suggestions for more games from the SNES era, you mean? Hmm, let's see. You already mentioned that you have Chrono Trigger, which I still rank as one of the best RPGs of all time. Then there's the Lufia games. I know there are some people who don't like them, but I think they're great.

Final Fantasy IV - VI of course, but I'm guessing you've already played those. Ogre Battle is fantastic too, but I guess that's more of a pure strategy game than a (s)RPG. Also, its increadibly hard to find these days.

The Soul Blazer series is pretty good too. Soul Blazer is the first game (I think it was called Soul Blade in Europe), and you've already got your hands on the two sequels Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma.

The Shadowrun game for the SNES is pretty good too.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 06:54:27 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"

That, uhhh, came out in Europe. Anyways, decent looking roster of games I suppose; I wish DQV would come out here though.

why? if its anything liek dragon quest 8 it sucks. i swear that game got worse the more i played it.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 06:55:25 PM »

To someone like me, it's not oldschool if it was released past 1990 :P

Also, when I imported Terranigma, I got the Japanese version. I emulate everything anyway, because of convenience and save batteries failing, and if I'm just getting it for collectors merit, 25 bucks for the Japanese one v. 80-some for the EU release is a LOT CHEAPER.

I liked SoE a lot. If you like Mana, you're probably going to like SoE more than SD3. While SoE's main is a bit... joksier than the SoM characters, the setting's pretty neat and it can get rather weird and dark at times (In part because of Soule's excellent sound track. You know, back when he as trying to merge On Land was Ultima, and before he was making really, really syrupy music for TES games).

Also, SD3 is fun, but don't be expecting it to be anything like Secret of Mana because, uh, it's not. It's more like a very (or, character depending, very, VERY) slow Legend of Mana without the ability to equip whatever weapons you want, and, er, without the originality of the other games in the series. In Japan, it's not particularly well liked.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 09:40:01 PM »

Bahamut Lagoon is awesome.  I'm not a fan of SRPGs, and Bahamut Lagoon was, like, the only SRPG I actually really liked.  Great graphics, great storyline, great gameplay, great music (Noriko Matsueda's best work IMO), that's a must-play.

I approve of this nonsense!
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 09:53:02 PM »

Fire Emblem games were great on snes.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: