Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 12:02:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334849 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV: The After Years  (Read 5970 times)
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2009, 01:22:01 PM »

Final Fantasy IV is certainly part of my best memories when it concerns a RPG - after all, it was my first one.

I'm quite excited to hear about this new title but at the same time I'm unsure if I'll want to play it. I wouldn't want it to destroy my perception of FFIV, so I'm hoping for everyone that this additional chapter will be measurable to the first one.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 01:34:48 PM »

Why would a sequel ruin how much you liked the original?  I thought Shadow Hearts 3 was terrible, but 2 is still one of the better PS2 RPG's I've played.  Suikoden 4 was less than great, but I still think the series is amazing.

If FF4: The After doesn't fit your bill, forget about it.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 01:45:54 PM »

Why would a sequel ruin how much you liked the original?  I thought Shadow Hearts 3 was terrible, but 2 is still one of the better PS2 RPG's I've played.  Suikoden 4 was less than great, but I still think the series is amazing.

If FF4: The After doesn't fit your bill, forget about it.

Exactly what I was going to say. I was even going to give the SH example. Even better, did playing FFX-2 ruin the time you spend with FFX? It's a different game, it doesn't change the things that were great in the original.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 02:16:27 PM »

They can throw dumb plot twists that cheapen the whole thing, and unlike SH3 it's directly tied. Plus even if you conciously know it shouldn't affect your feelings for other releases, you can't necessarily keep that 'this is cheapened' feel from arising.

Oh, and a replay was enough to ruin FFIV for me.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 05:12:05 PM »

Sometimes a sequel can cheapen an overall experience.  For example, The Lion King was one of Disney's best movies.  Then they had a Lion King 3 which shows how Timon and Pumbaa were there the whole time, and it really cheapened some of the scenes.  Like in the beginning of Lion King, it was a beautiful scene where all the animals bowed when Simba was presented.  In 3,
Code:
it was shown that the animals didn't bow, but fainted because Pumbaa farted.
  Cheapened the scene.  I could not accept that tripe as canon.  I wish I didn't have to see it, but when I was teaching kindergarten, that was one of the "movie day" movies so I f'n *had* to see it. 

In much the same way, it's tough for some people to accept, say, FFX-2 as canon.  But depending on how much stock you hold in the series, it's easy or difficult to dismiss.  FFX-2 was, to put it lightly, fluff.  Not a bad game (I'm one of the few out there who actually LIKED the music) but fluff compared to its predecessor. 

Is canon sometimes worse than bad fanfiction?  You decide.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 05:23:48 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 05:59:29 PM »

Is canon sometimes worse than bad fanfiction?

What if you get in a situation where fanboys of the original game start working on the sequel, and thus... well... bad fanfiction IS canon?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »

They can throw dumb plot twists that cheapen the whole thing, and unlike SH3 it's directly tied. Plus even if you conciously know it shouldn't affect your feelings for other releases, you can't necessarily keep that 'this is cheapened' feel from arising.

Oh, and a replay was enough to ruin FFIV for me.

God you're becoming a bitter old fart, Gregg. :P First Xenogears, now FFIV? I don't even like FFIV that much to begin with, but it's not like it's a bad game.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 07:14:36 PM »

God you're becoming a bitter old fart, Gregg. :P First Xenogears, now FFIV? I don't even like FFIV that much to begin with, but it's not like it's a bad game.

I should clarify: It's still a pretty fun game and hardly something I'd tell people to stay away from, but the story's comically melodramatic. Not something to hold against the game really, it tried harder than most games at its time and blew me away then, but I wouldn't count it as one of my favorite FFs now, though I'd probably still prefer to replay it than most. At least as long as it's not the DS version anyway, that was slowed down way too much.

In hindsight, I admit the word 'ruin' was a bit too strong, but it was in reply to someone worrying that The After Years would ruin FFIV for him, and story/characters would be the way it'd do so.

Edit: And now I read up past Mark's post! Yeah, Neal showed a great example of where a dumb followup cheapens the prequel. And FFX-2 is very much guilty of the same crap:
Code:
The best ending has Tidus coming back, when FFX was remarkable for being a JRPG that actually offed the protagonist,
 and despite foreshadowing this for a long time didn't contrive a way out of it. Until the sequel hit.
Of course there was that scene after the credits, but leaving it ambiguous would've been for the best.

Generally, I find sequels attached to a finished story, especially one without potential to continue is a really terrible idea. It's not always so, but I can't think of any positive examples right now. Maybe Shadow Hearts: Covenant, but that arguably cheapened a villain.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 09:25:13 PM by Eusis » Logged
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 09:15:54 PM »

See, in FFX, I didn't think that post-credits scene meant anything.  I thought it was just a cool little easter egg thing like they do at the end of Pixar movie credits. 

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 04:15:52 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:44:59 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 04:25:30 AM »

even though i've never played ff4 i cant be excited after ffx-2 and revenant wings. both of wich are large departures from the originals.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 09:24:38 AM »

Sometimes a sequel can cheapen an overall experience.  For example, The Lion King was one of Disney's best movies.  Then they had a Lion King 3 which shows how Timon and Pumbaa were there the whole time, and it really cheapened some of the scenes.  Like in the beginning of Lion King, it was a beautiful scene where all the animals bowed when Simba was presented.  In 3,
Code:
it was shown that the animals didn't bow, but fainted because Pumbaa farted.
  Cheapened the scene.  I could not accept that tripe as canon.  I wish I didn't have to see it, but when I was teaching kindergarten, that was one of the "movie day" movies so I f'n *had* to see it. 

You're kidding right? That's just... Damn. It's not only the fact that it is ridiculous. Anyone who watched that scene knows that that isn't what happened, it is shown very clearly that the animals are bowing. Who comes up with stuff like that? They can't just pretend that things happened differently in the previous film and expect people to buy it. It's a friggin' insult to the people watching it. Damn, that pissed me off.
OK, I admit it, this level of stupidity can affect your overall perception of a franchise.

OK, so let's forget about that then.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 09:30:08 AM »

CDFN- I wish I was lying about Lion King 3. 

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 11:30:09 AM »

DC, it was actually titled Lion King 1 1/2. It was quite the abomination.

FFIV was the BEST GAME EVER when I played it when it first came out. I have not played it since, besides dabbling in the DS release. I'm not really sure I want to screw with those memories too much, so this "After Years" thing has me troubled. I might get it if its cheap enough, but I won't expect anything great.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Solas
Soul Seeker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 11:50:27 AM »

I hope it turns out better than FFX-2. Either way, can't be any worse than that DS strategy game spinoff sequel 12 had.

bored? make some horrible rpg names :F
my rpg making blog
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: