Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 05:04:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335289 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The RPG towns thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: The RPG towns thread  (Read 12240 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« on: March 27, 2009, 08:19:41 PM »

Oftentimes, towns in RPGs are merely rest stops to hit the inn, buy stuff, and ask for directions to the next objective.  Many times, they're really not very impressive.  But sometimes, an RPG presents us with a town that we actually want to hang around and spend a few hours loitering in. 

So this thread is for people to mention their favorite RPG towns and why.  I know this is in the console RPG section, but feel free to discuss favorite towns in PC RPGs as well.  This topic is in Console because there's more traffic here. 

Some of my favorite RPG towns:

-Rabanastre in FF12.  People around here know I come down on FF12, mainly because I think the License Board sucks.  But I could be perfectly happy spending hours upon hours just loitering around Rabanastre, doing nothing in particular.  I spent the first 8 hours of my playthrough just hanging out in Rabanastre because I think it's such an awesome and beautiful town.  I didn't want to leave or advance the plot or anything. 

-Esthar (FF8), Solaris (Xenogears).  I listed them both here because I like them for the same reason.  I'm an absolute sucker for really high-tech futuristic type towns.  I wished I could've spent more time in Esthar. 

-Sumaru City (Persona 2).  This felt like a living, breathing city.  I could spend hours just loitering around Sumaru, exploring the various districts (which all had a distinct feel), talking with all the NPCs (who all had distinct dialogue throughout the game) and just hanging out.  Reminded me a lot of the time I spent living in New York City.  I felt like I really got to know the city intimately and it became as much a character in the game as Maya, Ulala, and company did.  Oh, and in both IS and EP, the Sumaru overland music was fantastic. 

-Gregminster (Suikoden), Black Mage Village (FF9).  Again, I mention two in one because I really like these towns for the same reason.  Both have some of my all time favorite town music. 

-The Bricks (Anachronox.)  Imagine a vaster, seedier, darker, and infinitely cooler Midgar designed like an Escher painting, and you have The Bricks.  Just like people complained that FF7 kept you in Midgar too long, people complained that Anachronox kept you in The Bricks too long.  I couldn't get enough of Midgar and wished it was longer and more expansive.  In much the same way, I enjoyed my time in The Bricks a lot and really got to know it intimately.  Really started to feel like home and throughout the game, I would keep visiting The Bricks just to loiter a bit because I got homesick. 

Honorable mention goes to Tales of Destiny where every town/city had full, unabbreviated houses.  Every house had showers and toilets.  Every town had food markets.  If I had to live in any RPG world, it would be Tales of Destiny's world because every town had a food store and every house had a functioning bathroom. 

So tell us about your favorite RPG towns. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 08:27:45 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 08:34:56 PM »

I can't think of any specific favorite towns, but Skies of Arcadia and Dragon Quest VIII both had those that were the most fun for me to run around in and explore. They're designed to be interesting, and while I doubt some of them are very practical they make for a more enjoyable game, plus it feels like I can actually go through the whole thing rather than simply a slice they decide to serve us. I was hoping for similar with FFXII but I just wasn't feeling it, but at least that's a better way of handling the 'you get to go through part of it, but there's much more you don't see' feel than, say, Shadow Hearts: Covenant did.
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 08:35:40 PM »

- Tales of Vesperia: Halure, Myorzo, and Yormgen. They all have relaxing music, and have a really nice nice vibe to them. I absolutely love those places. Sometimes I would just sit in those towns and run around for no particular reason. And if I needed to shop, I'd go to one of those locations, instead of the town I'm currently on. I'm extremely inefficient like that, sometimes. :P

- Skies of Arcadia: Valua. Particularly the slums area. There's just something I like about this place. Most likely related to music and vibe as well.

- Earthbound: Onette. Nothing more to say. It's just that damn good. :P Garbage picking for Hamburgers is also awesome.

- Persona 3: After School, at Gekkoukan during Spring. Heh, I wished my school had that sort of atmosphere...

EDIT: Just added some more stuffs.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 08:41:29 PM by Dizzy » Logged

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 08:52:33 PM »

Most of the towns in Suikoden 2 and up.  S1's towns were pretty boring, but the later ones were pretty great.

Most of the towns in Earthbound.

Inaba, Iwatodai, and Sumaru from the Persona games.  For the same reasons as Dincrest.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 08:56:33 PM »

Final Fantasy IX's Daguerreo is probably my all-time favorite town, for the simple fact that the concept behind it is so awesome. It's a partially submerged library hidden behind a waterfall; that's just so dang cool! I just loved the atmosphere it had. Everything was so...I guess tranquil, and yet there was this really lively, distinct atmosphere to it that made it seem like a really interesting place to run around in.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 09:18:10 PM »

Athkatla in Baldur's Gate II. Almost certainly the largest city in any RPG with the most content and quests. It actually feels like a city, not the usual two shops, a few houses and an inn. I wish more RPGs would follow this model and have towns as a significant chunk of the game, rather than just somewhere to stop off at between dungeons.

Zeal in Chrono Trigger stands out too, mostly because of the fantastic music.
Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 10:44:56 PM »

Final Fantasy X's Luca.
Oh, and Final Fantasy X-2's Luca.

If I opened up both my FFX and FFX-2 saves, I guarantee that Tidus and Yuna will both be beside the Locker Rooms of Luca (That is, if there WAS a savesphere there for FFX, can't remember).    A good chunk of both those savefiles definitely took place at Luca for mainly one reason;  Blitzball. I can't decide which version's Blitzball I like best but God damn how I love Blitzball.  And if I don't feel like playing Blitzball (which is unlikely), I can always watch the beginning scene of FFX in the movie theatre or play some Sphere Break in FFX-2.

Man...  If they decided to make Blitzball a game on it's own, I'd have been all OVER that shit.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 11:15:14 PM »

Definitely Rabanastre in FFXII. The main city in Mass Effect was sweet too.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 01:31:11 AM »

- Sumaru, for pretty much every reason Dincrest described. I spent a lot of time just wandering around and looking at stores and stuff.

- I thought all of the PSX FFs were going in the right direction with the towns. FFVI's felt mostly like stopover points, except for some of the AWESOME plays like Zozo. With FFVII through FFIX, each town felt more like a really fleshed out area, with a lot of them having minigames, FFVIII having draw points (which count as extra interaction in my eyes,), FFVIII and IX introducing cards, etc. Yeah, bitch all I may about FFVIII's uh... easiness, I thought the area design was spot-on. Anyway, while I have to admit I'm not very far in FFIX, I adore the weird little town with the auction, partially because it reminds me of...

- Lumina, from LoM. Which is odd because strictly from an interactivity and stuff-to-do standpoint, Geo has a bit more going on. Anyway, I love the music, the creepy bartender guy, and all of the quests that happen here. It's like stepping into an old Nick Jr. cartoon and not have to live with the constant dread of being an Ohioan (Side-pocket sniping with a hat on here, but this is one area where Id idn't think SD3 did that good of a job of compared to SD2 and LoM. You had some neat early cities like the one with the auction, but after half of the game places just stopped... doing much).

- Earthbound's towns all felt very fully realized. I think my favorite was Moonside. As per the last two examples, I think I like incoherent, eternally nocturnal cities. Then again, I love Twoson's music. Much like P2 and LoM, I just liked walking around places and looking at stuff.

- And the fourth city like that, of course? Koorong. Neon lights, weird back alley hotels, and that elaborate freaking dungeon.

- Just assume I copy and pasted the entirety of Eusis' post.

- Ultima 7's towns. Ultima 5 and 6 had NPC scheduling and nice details, but they were often tiny towns. Ultima 7's towns were all just a lot bigger, a lot more interactive, a lot more text and story heavy, and a lot more sidequesty. Also good god the Fellowship theme.

- I can't remember the name of it, but the starting town from Albion. All of the buildings are made of plants and it's gorgeous. Look up some screens on Mobygames sometime.

I think in theory I liked Zeal -- and by extension, Shevat, which was the same damn thing. Including the music -- but from a gameplay sense there's not a lot to do there, and it's a very brief part of the game. The towns in CT, while typically beautiful, are also typically sort of empty. I wish they ALL could have had millennial fairs. That was one of the things I liked more about Cross -- you actually spent some time in the towns, and they had alternate versions, too.

Just like people complained that FF7 kept you in Midgar too long, people complained that Anachronox kept you in The Bricks too long.

For the millionth time I get out of Midgar in three hours and hell no you're not there long enough.

People around here know I come down on FF12, mainly because I think the License Board sucks.

What, not deifacted nethycite?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 02:07:38 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:47:40 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 03:27:37 AM »

The city in Digimon World

Or the City in Azure Dreams

I'm a whore for growing/expanding cities.
Dyfection

四月二十九日

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 04:11:15 AM »

I definitely agree with Sumaru City, Inaba, and a few towns in Dragon Quest VIII. Though I haven't played the game for what seems like forever, I enjoyed most of the towns in Xenogears (you mentioned Solaris, I'll check YouTube :p) because of drum roll please a jump button!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 04:38:39 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:47:48 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 04:47:43 AM »

I'm a whore for growing/expanding cities.

Play Terranigma.

Terranigma had some great towns, because they tried to make every place unique instead of just the next "equipment upgrade here" town. Doing all the little sidequests to boost the economy was fun. Neotokyo had some cute little easter eggs
Code:
until everyone was killed with that virus
And then there is Crysta of course, it's a lovely town with lovely music and then you find out the truth. The towns in that game were all properly connected to the storyline, that's what makes them memorable.

I'm currently playing Persona 4 and Inaba is great. It's a lot like my town, but a bit larger and with murders instead of suicides.
Suit

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 06:50:14 AM »

There are some I can mention, but my absolute favorite town destroys any competition; Fisherman's Horizon from FF8. I always feel so at ease hanging out there. There's just something...magical about it.

It isn't what it looks like.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: