Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 03:01:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329726 Posts in 13515 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  So, XBox 360 or PS3?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: So, XBox 360 or PS3?  (Read 23663 times)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2009, 02:28:38 AM »

So, I'm in the market for a new console, and I've been pretty torn on XBox 360 and PS3 since the get-go as so many of the games I'd like to play are released for both platforms. Right now, I'm leaning toward the PS3 mainly because of Blu-Ray, but I thought I'd ask everyone here what their thoughts might be before I make a final decision.

So here are the results I've seen from my research presented in a Pro and Con Format.

XBox 360 Pros

• More dynamic lighting than PS3 with less blurring and better frame rate consistency.
  • Better online features and community with XBox Live.
  • Fewer or shorter load/install times.
  • Until recently it seems most reviews of multiplatform games were slightly higher for 360 due to the above "Pros"

XBox 360 Cons

• Bad track record of hardware failure.
  • No exclusive titles (that I can think of anyway) that I'm interested in.
  • HD DVD being a dead format.
PS3 Pros

• Though not many, the PS3 has a few exclusive games I'd like to play.
  • As already mentioned, Blu-Ray.
  • Though I'm sure there have been some, I haven't heard anything regarding hardware reliability issues.
  • Great experience with all Sony products in the past

PS3 Cons

• Horror stories about loading and installation times
  • I hear the more recent models aren't backward compatible with PS and PS2 games, but can someone confirm this?
  • Even if they are backward compatible, I've heard of some game freezing/save file destroying glitches which only occur on PS3.

So let me know if you agree or disagree with my findings and why, as well as any other pertinent information you can think of.

Thanks everyone.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 02:42:57 AM »

You're half right on the BC. The PS1 BC is still there, but the PS2 BC is removed from most units. If you can find an 80 gig MGS4 unit then you can get at least software BC, but otherwise you'll have to go without. Also, as for loads/installs: I don't really recall many bad load instances, but installs can be a nuisance. With that said there's plenty of space on the systems, and even if there isn't you can get a much larger Sata laptop drive and not have to worry again.

You're not listing price so it doesn't seem like that'll make or break it, and the PS3 has exclusives you want while the 360 doesn't, so I'd be inclined to go with the PS3. Just what games are you interested in however? And do you care enough about multiplayer, or no?

Edit: I'M AN IDIOT
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 07:13:12 PM by Eusis » Logged
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 03:00:50 AM »

The games for PS3 I want to check out are MGS4, inFamous, and Little Big Planet. Multiplayer isn't a tremendous issue , but in the case of some games, like Street Fighter IV or a future game where multiplayer is a huge component, it is possible. Price isn't important either, but the better experience is.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 03:11:54 AM »

Well, in the case of SFIV I'd get it on PS3 anyway simply because of the 360's atrocious d-pad and the fact the FightPad I got broke down almost immediately. If you plan to get a joystick or you're fine with using an analog stick then completely disregard this point!

Yeah, if I was in your position I'd just get the PS3. Most console games worth playing are multiplatform these days, and I don't think most of the games have been significantly different on either platform as of late. The 360 DOES have some exclusive content, but so far this is for GTAIV (doesn't seem like something you'd care about), Fallout 3 (maybe?), and Tomb Raider (who cares).
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 09:24:46 AM »

Yeah, pretty much what Eusis said. I haven't seen bad loading times either, but the installations take a bit of time. I'd say the PS3, since you seem to be leaning towards it already. Personally, I've used my PS3 more and enjoyed it more than the 360.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 12:06:12 PM »

Fallout 3 (maybe?)

Fallout 3 definitely.  They've come right out and said that the DLC (including the pack that changes the ending) won't be released on the PS3.

I have both, and frankly, I haven't been very happy with either one as a gaming platform.  I have liked the 360 better for gaming, because of:
- selection - keep in mind that I don't just play RPGs
- better performance overall - if one version of a game has framerate issues, you can bet your bottom dollar it'll be the PS3 version
- support for DLC and other bonus content

However, I love how nice my PS3 makes movies look, Blu-Ray or not.  If I played games online, I imagine I'd like the fact that they don't charge for online play, but I don't, so I don't care.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 01:35:22 PM »

Fallout 3 definitely.  They've come right out and said that the DLC (including the pack that changes the ending) won't be released on the PS3.

No, I meant that I'm not sure if Jimmy would care about the game enough to make getting a 360 for the exclusive DLC worthwhile. Personally, I really wish the 360 wouldn't keep getting exclusive DLC since there isn't any inherent advantage as far as I can tell over the PS3 (unless you count saving the publishers money), or at least both platforms get a bit of exclusive content.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 01:41:25 AM »

I'm not really concerned with DLC. If DLC is released for a game I already own, then I'd probably check it out, but I wouldn't buy a game for simply for DLC. I have to admit Fallout 3 is probably going to be the first game I get :D

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I'll stick with the PS3 unless someone can offer a very compelling reason not to.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 03:03:50 AM »

The PS3 has Valkyria Chronicles! Do I seriously need to say any more?

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 03:14:07 AM »

Ah! How could I have forgotten that game?! Yea, that's another exclusive I want.
ShadowLaguna

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 04:37:49 AM »

Valkyria Chronicles does not disappoint. It's one of my favourite games on the system.

Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 12:06:08 PM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=5121.0

I think all of the PS3 exclusives currently out were discussed in that thread.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 03:11:04 PM »

Well if you're not really into 360 exclusives, then grab a PS3. It's got two of the RPGs that the 360 has (Enchanted Arms and Eternal Sonata), another one apparently on the way (Infinite Undiscovery if I remember correctly), plus Folklore and Valkyria Chronicles.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
ShadowLaguna

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 03:34:27 PM »

Another 360 RPG being ported to PS3? The only one I can think of from the top of my head is The Last Remnant. But Square-Enix are being bitches, and not giving us a release date.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 01:53:11 AM »

TLR's PS3 fate seems kind of dire. Which is bound to piss people off but I have a feeling not as much as if it had been outright canceled before the game even came out.

Anyways, since you want to get Fallout 3 that may make the DLC worth keeping in mind, but the core game is still great enough, and I'm sure when/if you get a 360 you could easily get a copy of Fallout 3 for cheap then check out the DLC. Unless everyone just hates it, Operation Anchorage wasn't exactly enough to merit the 360 game over the PS3 one, and it could even wind up being that the promise of a raised level cap matters more than the rest of the DLC.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: