Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 03:56:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329495 Posts in 13500 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  So, XBox 360 or PS3?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: So, XBox 360 or PS3?  (Read 23617 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2009, 06:36:42 PM »

I think it depends on if you know what you're doing and have an actual point. Unlike DQVII which mostly took forever due to an excessive amount of scenarios, DQVIII took forever largely because of some 3D padding and the world being much larger to explore. However, compressing that down too much would've ruined a one of a kind experience and cheapened the scope of the world, so I think that's a good example of using it whereas Oblivion probably had a much larger world but just felt boring to explore beyond the towns themselves.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2009, 07:36:08 PM »

Wow.  People still judge games based on their length?  It's kind of like watching people complain about getting one sandwich instead of two when there's only a teaspoon of peanut butter to work with.

not really. it's more like buying a box of cereal and when you open it to have some the box is only half full. even though you paid for a full box.

So I'm curious.  I imagine Morrowind is one of your favorite RPGs, since it has more hours of gameplay than just about any JRPG made.  What other western RPGs are among your favorites?
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2009, 02:14:04 AM »

When it comes to load times I can't imagine the PS3 version being an actual pain when installed. It bugged me before hand, but not afterwards.

My buddy has it installed on his PS3. I don't on my 360. His load times are *still* longer than mine.

To be honest, I don't really mind long loading times. :P

AFAIK, Blu-Ray loads slower than DVDs.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2009, 02:41:16 AM »

'course that begs the question: Why on Earth is it on a Blu-Ray disc when it clearly doesn't need to be?
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2009, 02:50:30 AM »

Dunno, but I really don't mind though. Less piracy?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 03:32:29 AM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2009, 02:52:26 AM »

'course that begs the question: Why on Earth is it on a Blu-Ray disc when it clearly doesn't need to be?

Idiot Sony mandate! They allowed CDs on the PS2 but for some reason decided all games must be blu-ray on the PS2 (piracy? To justify the move to blu-ray? To prevent drives from being unable to read games in case it has the same luck as the PS2? To not worry about varying packaging based on whether or not a game is blu-ray or DVD?). Personally I think it'd more likely have been good for the PS3, multi platform games that didn't use blu-ray seriously could remain on DVD and stay on par with the 360 offerings, while games that genuinely use that space in some way can move to that instead. In that sense it'd make sense to block TWO+ DVD games, since at that point you may as well just run off a blu-ray and (maybe) save on printing costs.
ULTROS!
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2009, 02:56:22 AM »

Personally, I don't think all games should always be in DVD form. Example: The Star Ocean 4 disc switching annoyance.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 03:40:42 AM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2009, 03:37:44 AM »

Personally, I don't think all games should always be in DVD form. Example: The Star Ocean 4 disc switching annoyance.

Well, yeah.
ULTROS!
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2009, 03:42:19 AM »

Imagine if the PS3 went DVD? Sure it will rack up more PS3 hardware sales (due to piracy) but it might suffer loss of software sales.

Strangely enough, the people in my country (Philippines, where loads of people pirate) really want a PS3 but isn't piratable despite the Xbox 360 having loads of multiplatform games they want(ala FFXIII and Tekken 6).

*Additionally, there are way more PSP users here than DS users.

By the way, I don't support piracy, just stating what I saw. :P

Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2009, 03:49:46 AM »

Imagine if the PS3 went DVD? Sure it will rack up more PS3 hardware sales (due to piracy) but it might suffer loss of software sales.

Strangely enough, the people in my country (Philippines, where loads of people pirate) really want a PS3 but isn't piratable despite the Xbox 360 having loads of multiplatform games they want(ala FFXIII and Tekken 6).

*Additionally, there are way more PSP users here than DS users.

By the way, I don't support piracy, just stating what I saw. :P

You're assuming people don't pirate Blu-Ray discs. That idea is hilarious to me. No, the reason Sony is pushing Blu-Ray is because they want it to be more prolific. That's fine, marketing-wise, but the low read speed of Blu-Ray makes it non-ideal for gaming.

As to the Philippines, as I recall from reading Manila Finance awhile back, the DS sold around 700,000 units, while the PSP was around 300,000 by the end of 2008. I somehow doubt there has been a huge change in a market as small as the Philippines.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2009, 03:55:51 AM »

Pirating has more to do with hardware than medium anyway I'd think. I mean, yeah, the blu-rays and drives to burn them cost more and so that'd make things less accessible, and there might be some extra security layers, but I imagine if the system is secure then it doesn't matter if they were running games off CDs still, piracy would still be blocked. If read speeds were identical or faster then it'd make sense to block off DVD outright, but as it that still had some advantages, and most of these games don't take advantage of the blu-ray format outside of MAYBE extra security.
ULTROS!
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2009, 04:03:03 AM »

Really? Strangely I don't see much DS players in college. The sales include the underground market right?

I guess all the young kids have the DS/Wii in the Philippines. Maybe that's why. :P

Even if you pirate a Blu-ray CD, it still costs more a bit more right? I remember a fake Blu-ray here costs around... PHP500 or something? That's about $12. (Fake DVD costs $1-2 here)

Is the gaming market here small? :P I mean even the (no offense) people near or in the poverty line here had a PS2. I had a school outreach once and one of the homes assigned to us had a PS2. :P
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 04:08:21 AM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2009, 06:19:41 AM »

Really? Strangely I don't see much DS players in college. The sales include the underground market right?

I guess all the young kids have the DS/Wii in the Philippines. Maybe that's why. :P

Even if you pirate a Blu-ray CD, it still costs more a bit more right? I remember a fake Blu-ray here costs around... PHP500 or something? That's about $12. (Fake DVD costs $1-2 here)

Is the gaming market here small? :P I mean even the (no offense) people near or in the poverty line here had a PS2. I had a school outreach once and one of the homes assigned to us had a PS2. :P

Uh... Well, relatively small, yes. The three big markets are Japan, North America, and Europe. The Philippines is pretty small overall, ranking behind Korea, China, India, and even Indonesia.

I somehow doubt that your observation of the teenage and college level populace speaks widely about the gaming industry in the Philippines in any case. I'm going to bet a lot more people than you think have a DS or Wii, and not just kids either. The DS has been a runaway success across all ages, which I'm sure is quite true of that corner of the world as it is in most others.

Also, I've rarely come across 360 piracy, or even Wii piracy. The big names in piracy right now are the DS and PSP. I don't think Blu-Ray has anything to do with the lack of piracy, it just hasn't been a trend with the current generation. It may also be that the PS3 is the minority system even now, and its gaming library hasn't really opened up. I'm sure that'll change in the next year or two, but right now legitimate buying on all consoles (outside of Wii homebrew stuff) seems to be the trend.
ULTROS!
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2009, 06:36:36 AM »

Have you been here? You should go here and check it out if you don't believe me. But in my observation, a lot have a PSP 2000 or 1000 (yes, I live in the Philippines). They usually play Tekken 5: DR, Dissidia, or some Dance Dance Revolution game. Sure there are still DS users here (mostly kids).

To be honest, I believe the masses = PSP, kids = DS in my country but meh, take it with a grain of salt if you want.

but right now legitimate buying on all consoles (outside of Wii homebrew stuff) seems to be the trend.

Not here, our country isn't that rich.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 08:11:46 AM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2009, 08:54:08 AM »

So... did Jimmy end up picking one while all this was going on?

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: