Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 07:38:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334756 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  would you say the older you get, the less fun games are
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: would you say the older you get, the less fun games are  (Read 16461 times)
Antizerg

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2009, 11:21:33 PM »

me personally i would have to say no. But at the same time when i was a little kid i would enjoy shovelware with open arms. Now that im older it seems i only enjoy playing the best of the best, of course with my favorite genra "rpg" i can handle the weak stuff too. My most enjoyable memories in playing games were probably in the snes era, but at the same time that was just remembering my childhood. But playing diablo 2 online for a good 5 years about ages 14-19+ was awesome too. So to wrap it up i would say when you were little, you were more bored and would play shovelware games, but as you get older you get more picky and selective with your games.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 11:44:56 PM »

I could easily draw a diagram for this one.

The answer varies on how old you've gotten, and when you started playing.

For me, gaming reached its peak when I was about 16 years old. It has everything to do with perspective, you know.

Now I'm old, and you have to produce a miracle in a box for me to really take interest. And the sad part is, among game critics, I'm one of the more lenient ones. So that should give you an idea of how we all feel around here.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 11:58:28 PM »

Um, just because you no longer enjoy shitty shovelware games doesn't mean you've lost any interest in videogames, it means your not stupid anymore and can tell the difference between what is worth your time and what isn't.  Especially since, generally speaking, being older means having less time to spend on games because of other commitments such as a job, other hobbies, a husband/wife/farm animal/significant other, or wahtever else you do during the day.

I love videogames now more than I ever have in my life, and my love for them increases by the year.  Yeah, I don't play everything, yeah, I don't play shitty shovelware, and yes, I'll certainly say when a game is bad and stop playing it if I lose interest.  But that doesn't mean I don't like games any less than I used to.
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 12:31:07 AM »

Games have actually become more fun for me over the years.  I think it's because I'm a smarter player now.  I also actually play more games to the end these days.  I guess you could call it patience, but I also think it's because I'm better able to understand the stories now compared to my earlier gaming days.  Like most of have said, of course, my standards have increased with age, but that's about the only change I see.  I thrive off a challenge now, and when I younger I wasn't so much concerned with that.  I still get giddy over games when they amaze me, so I guess I haven't burnt myself out quite yet. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 12:37:02 AM by Kstar » Logged

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 01:47:05 AM »

Lowered tolerance does play some part in this, but it's more for my level of tolerance for certain design choices or narrative aspects than simply playing bad games. I think that has just as much to do with how some games are changing however, notably JRPGs. More and more they're succumbing to excess, whether it's battles that drag on too long, requiring you to play for long periods of time to accomplish anything whatsoever, or throwing more dialogue and cutscenes than the narrative actually needs, especially bad when it isn't one worth caring about anyway. It feels like these games are going for as long as older ones did when I was younger, but when I replay those I'm shocked at how fast things can go by, notably for Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger. Heck, the only RPGs from Japan I've blitzed through recently have been Etrian Odyssey 1 and the Dragon Quest remakes, though EO1 required me to pick it back up after clearing the First Stratum something like 2 years ago.

Beyond RPGs though? There's some games I expect to like when playing again but don't enjoy half as much as I hoped (Mystical Ninja), while there's games I've come to appreciate more than I did as a kid (Castlevania, Dragon Quest). I don't think I ven really liked that many bad games, I recall kind of enjoying the first NES Simpsons game but that's about it, and even then I remember it being pretty frustrating.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 02:19:08 AM »

I find that I'm enjoying games far less than I used to simply because I am smarter than I was. I used to be able to play every RPG to completion incredibly fast, but nowadays it either has to be reasonably short or just freakin awesome for me to complete it at all. Infinite Undiscovery definitely wasn't one of the best games I played last year, but I beat it because it was only about 20 hours long. I enjoyed that. SO4 on the other hand, I've played that game for 29 hours and have no more motivation to play it to completion. The story is terrible (the dialogue and voice acting are terrible as well and don't help). Sure the battle system is fun, but it isn't enough for me to slog through another 15-20 hours to beat the freakin game. Tales of Vesperia I played for 28 hours before quitting because the plot was going nowhere.

Mass Effect has been the only RPG I have played more than 30 hours of and thought it was freakin awesome in the past 2 years. Most RPGs I've beat in the past 2 years have been shorter than that.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 02:26:35 AM »

That ties into excess now that I think about it - the addition of cinematics and especially voice acting. They're easily turning stories that would've otherwise been moderately entertaining or at least tolerable into wall bangers. Though some (SO4) seem to be beyond any redemption.
kaelkale

I've got balls of steel!

ryukaneda@hotmail.com
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 02:37:13 AM »

I wouldn't exactly say that I have less fun playing games, but that I'm more critical of the games I actually choose to play.

Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 03:07:38 AM »

Nah, but I seem to enjoy budget titles more than I do with higher profile titles lately, for whatever reason. I had more fun with games from like, D3 than from any other company this generation. Particularly with games like Earth Defense Force 2012 and Oneechanbara. Good mindless fun, like old beat 'em ups. :P

As far as RPGs go, my feelings haven't really changed towards them. As long as I feel some sort of attachment to the characters, enjoy the music, and the battle system doesn't bore me to tears, then I'm fine.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 03:54:59 AM »

I have more games to play, less time to play them.

As a kid I got maybe 4 new games a year, if I was really lucky. I tried to play all of them, even if they were bad, because games were expensive and you should not waste money. I could easily spend one hunderd hours on the really good games.

Nowadays I get 1-2 new games a week. I play most of those games as a reviewer. Not all of those games are games I would normally play, but someone has to tell people Ready 2 Rumble Revolution is a horrible, horrible game. I still play a lot of RPGs from start to finish, but the odds of me replaying a game are low.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 04:12:24 PM by Tomara » Logged
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 07:25:27 AM »

Fuck no. If anything, my tolerance for games has gone up. I tend to accept bad aspects of a game a lot more easily if I can find something about them that's redeeming. I'd never be playing Sins of a Solar Empire otherwise. It's horribly obtuse and convoluted in plot, but damn if it doesn't have some great areas.
Act00

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 09:38:28 AM »

I playing more RPG's than before. If the gameplay is fun, than I have good time with them even the story is weak.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 09:40:15 AM »

My enjoyment of video games hasn't diminished over the years.  It may have increased a bit since I had more time for playing games when I was younger so I cherish my limited gaming time more now.  It's the cruel joke.  When you're a kid, you have more time to play with toys but less money to buy them.  When you're an adult, you have more money to buy toys but less time to play with them. 

My tastes have changed as I grew up, but that's about it.  I had no patience for RPGs or graphic adventures when I was 10, but I love them now.  Developers know that *the* demographic is people like us who grew up playing NES, Genesis, etc. and are now in our 20s-30s with actual income. 

In my early 20s, I used to often hear "aren't you too old for video games?" but from age 24 on, I don't hear that any more.  We're in an era where video games are something that adults don't have to enjoy clandestinely and be defensive about.  Then again, I've always been open about enjoying video games, anime/cartoons, comics/manga and if people thought it childish, then they weren't worth my time.   And adults closer to my parents' age have always enjoyed casual gaming.  My mom's nuts about games like Bejeweled and Bust-a-Move.  My late great-aunt was the biggest Tetris junkie I knew.  This one lady I see at the gym always has her DS and Brain Age with her when she has to do a long session of cardio on the exercise bike. 

I think we're living in somewhat of a gaming renaissance.  Just like we're living in a heavy metal renaissance now (the pioneering living legends Maiden and Priest are out there kicking ass alongside the newer metal bands who grew up listening to them.  How great is it that a father can take his son to a Metallica concert and both have a screaming good time?) we're living in a gaming renaissance where thanks to virtual console and such, people are just as interested in the older stuff as they are in the newer stuff.  A lot of indie developers are hitting our old-school nostalgia buttons in multiple genres.  And those of you who have kids, gaming is one way to connect with them since we who grew up with gaming "get" it. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:15:21 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Solas
Soul Seeker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 11:52:43 AM »

I've noticed that games are less fun these days for me... but I think it's just because many are made for a younger audience, and not the people who would've grown up with them

In my early 20s, I used to often hear "aren't you too old for video games?" but from age 24 on, I don't hear that any more.

Same. There are a lot more older games out there these days!

bored? make some horrible rpg names :F
my rpg making blog
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 12:19:25 PM »

Pretty much exactly what DC said. I actually do still enjoy them just as much, if not more. I am very particular about what I play, resulting in pretty much only playing "great" games. I can buy whatever games I want, but my time is a precious commodity.
Same in regards to gaming being much more publicly "accepted" than it was when I was younger. Like DC, I've never been ashamed of being a gamer, but still had to be careful with certain people. Now, it's like everyone is playing some sort of game(I'm looking at you, Wii) and no one thinks twice about people of any age enjoying games. Thing is, I guarantee plenty of these new game players would view the  "hardcore" gamers as sad losers who live in their parents basement. Stereotypes suck.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: