Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 03:23:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330095 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New tri-Ace RPG: End of Eternity
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: New tri-Ace RPG: End of Eternity  (Read 19551 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2009, 07:49:35 PM »

Ahhh! Hope that doesn't mean it could be IU2. 'Cept, of course, it being on PS3 says that's unlikely.

There's been multi-platform sequels to console exclusive titles, and even a few weird cases of a sequel appearing only on a console the original didn't (Crimson Sea, Xbox title from Koei with a PS2 sequel). Unless Microsoft co-owns the IP or something it's not out of question.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2009, 07:53:28 PM »

It'd be pretty cool if it were another Radiata Stories, provided they made it a bit more difficult and improved the story a bit (haha). I thought the original was charming in its own way, and I really liked how armor showed up on the main character when equipped, I wish more games did this.

An original game could be cool too, provided it has a decent premise.
kaelkale

I've got balls of steel!

ryukaneda@hotmail.com
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2009, 08:04:12 PM »

It'd be pretty cool if it were another Radiata Stories, provided they made it a bit more difficult and improved the story a bit (haha). I thought the original was charming in its own way, and I really liked how armor showed up on the main character when equipped, I wish more games did this.

An original game could be cool too, provided it has a decent premise.

I couldn't possibly agree more about the equipment showing up. So many more games could take a lesson from that especially JRPG's. At least if the armor doesn't change have them go through outfit changes as the story progresses or something or let you walk around with different characters. It definitely gets old looking at the same image (no matter how cool i.e. Cloud) over and over again throughout the entire game.

mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2009, 02:56:31 AM »

Yeah, I remember that being one of my favorite things when I played Legend of Legaia. Only it made it hard to wanna upgrade to better armor if it looked really dorky.  But if they could pull that off back then why don't we see it more often?  Atleast the Tales series has the extra costumes.           

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2009, 06:26:56 AM »

I'd love it if it was another RS. Only tri-Ace game I like.
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2009, 01:16:09 PM »

I'm going out on a limb and guessing it's a new intellectual property, not a sequel to any preexisting series, based on the way they're "marketing" it.  It seems like revealing a simple sequel in this fashion could only be a letdown, whereas it'd be a good way to hype a new IP.

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
Sanhime

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2009, 05:23:55 PM »

I flat out refused to buy SO4 because of the piss poor voice overs. I don't know how these games get past any sort of quality control.

I'm convinced it's not the fault of the voice actors but the material they had to deal with. Seriously, "Your kindness was too much for this universe" can't possibly be taken seriously irregardless of how talented the actor is. There were a few more reasons too though for me; changing the portraits (not enough in and of itself I'll note, but it's the kind of move that shouldn't have to be done these days), the visuals that dive right into the uncanny valley, and the shitty anime tropes that indulge in pandering. Really, presentation wise it's a complete disaster.

I hate to admit it but I think SO4 has gotten me to bitch more than any other game I haven't actually played. Then again it's the non-gameplay portions that set me off, for which youtube is more than sufficient for, plus it seems to embody a lot of what's going wrong with JRPGs in the last few years.

I agree, there's not much a VA can do when they know the devs aren't even trying to write feasible dialogue or match mouths just so the game can be released worldwide simultaneously.

The gameplay is quite good, I think it's my favorite battle system in Star Ocean thus far, but for all the anime-ish cliches and pitfalls where plot and dialogue are concerned it's probably not worth it for some people.

I think the problem here is that publishers are trying too hard to translate the JP to english too literally (I'm assuming thats what they are doing) resulting in piss poor acting, but I still blame the actors, they are not getting a pass on this excuse.  ITS AN RPG FOR CRYING OUTLOUD!  Good acting need to be equally as important as the storyline!   I prefer a translation that is less accurate or perhaps not even accurate at all in order to provide the emotion that is intended, than an overly accurate translation that making the acting sound like the Eggheads from SNL.

I want to play SO4 so bad, but the voice acting alone is more than enough reason for me not to buy this game.  Lets hope Tri-Ace and SE will include JP audio should they decide to release SO4 for PS3.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 05:28:25 PM by Sanhime » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2009, 05:48:56 PM »

... but I still blame the actors, they are not getting a pass on this excuse.

Some of these guys are very good outside of these problem games, so writing isn't inherently an excuse to get away with bad acting. Actually, just as important (if not moreso!) is the voice director. A voice actress that played similar sounding roles in Star Ocean 3 and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex performed far better in the latter than the former. The roles she played? Farleen and the Tachikomas.

Honestly though, I'm starting to wonder if tri-Ace may exercise some control in the localization process that they really shouldn't. They seem to be receiving the worst localization efforts from SE, and it's not as if they're really treating them as lesser releases with TV commercials for Infinite Undiscovery and whatnot.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 03:36:22 AM by Eusis » Logged
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2009, 06:29:10 PM »

I want to play SO4 so bad, but the voice acting alone is more than enough reason for me not to buy this game.  Lets hope Tri-Ace and SE will include JP audio should they decide to release SO4 for PS3.

This here is a sticking point for me.  I hear people whine all the time about bad voice acting, but honestly I hardly ever encounter what I consider "bad voice acting."  I've heard bad voice recording (Star Ocean II), but mostly what I hear are lines that sound appropriate in Japanese, but when translated to English sound completely immature and unbelievable (e.g., Did he really just say that?  How could a person in his position and situation say that and not lose credibility with those around him?).  Maybe it's just that the language barrier softens my ears.  In any case, it's generally the *content* of spoken English dialogue that annoys me, and not the sound itself (i.e., the voice acting).  Comparing spoken and nonspoken dialogue may lead into a grey area; perhaps there's dialogue that you can get away with unspoken that would be grating if spoken (as Eusis is fond of pointing out).

Farleen from SO3 is the classic example of bad voice acting...but even that doesn't convince me.  Sarah from SO4 is truly borderline, but as for others like Meracle and Lymle...it's their personality that erks me, not their voice (which is just one facet of the personality presented to us).  Lymle receieves my pardon however simply because I like the character concept, if not the execution. :P

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
kaelkale

I've got balls of steel!

ryukaneda@hotmail.com
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2009, 12:51:41 AM »

This here is a sticking point for me.  I hear people whine all the time about bad voice acting, but honestly I hardly ever encounter what I consider "bad voice acting."  I've heard bad voice recording (Star Ocean II), but mostly what I hear are lines that sound appropriate in Japanese, but when translated to English sound completely immature and unbelievable (e.g., Did he really just say that?  How could a person in his position and situation say that and not lose credibility with those around him?).  Maybe it's just that the language barrier softens my ears.  In any case, it's generally the *content* of spoken English dialogue that annoys me, and not the sound itself (i.e., the voice acting).  Comparing spoken and nonspoken dialogue may lead into a grey area; perhaps there's dialogue that you can get away with unspoken that would be grating if spoken (as Eusis is fond of pointing out).

Farleen from SO3 is the classic example of bad voice acting...but even that doesn't convince me.  Sarah from SO4 is truly borderline, but as for others like Meracle and Lymle...it's their personality that erks me, not their voice (which is just one facet of the personality presented to us).  Lymle receieves my pardon however simply because I like the character concept, if not the execution. :P

"We can leave when ever you're ready"

...ugh, my worst nightmare in spoken form.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2009, 12:14:04 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:10:44 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2009, 02:52:51 PM »

Honestly...after watching those videos, it just seems like typical Saturday morning cartoon silliness.  Sequences like that remind me of Pokemon; it's not supposed to be taken seriously anyway, so it's hard to criticize.  I still don't see why people get so riled up purely about voices they don't like the sound of.  It's just one facet of overall characterization after all.

sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2009, 05:21:55 PM »

I think someone posted this before, but my god, the voice acting is hideousssss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg

Is this even real? It's so bad...

Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »

I think someone posted this before, but my god, the voice acting is hideousssss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg

Is this even real? It's so bad...

Sounds like the person in charge of the voice acting in that game just went to some Starbucks, and hired some random customers that were there. :l

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2009, 06:49:48 PM »

Sounds like the person in charge of the voice acting in that game just went to some Starbucks, and hired some random customers that were there. :l

So his family typically hangs out at Starbucks? Seriously, he just grabbed some friends and family to do it, I believe this was done more to satisfy SCEA's silly dub requirement more than anything else.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: