Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 08:31:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330183 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The favorite quotes thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The favorite quotes thread  (Read 3571 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2009, 05:56:22 PM »

We haven't done one of these in a long time, so here it is.  Share quotes that you really like and explain why they hold meaning for you. 

One of my favorite quotes is "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." -Hubert H. Humphrey.  Ever since I learned how to communicate on the internet, that's been a mantra of mine. 

Harry Truman is a president I admire.  He is the proverbial average joe who became president (and a darn good one.) And his average joe common sense is reflected in quotes like this: "I never gave anybody hell.  I gave them the truth and they thought it was hell." 

I generally don't watch much television, but I really like the show Mythbusters and Adam Savage on that show had the brilliant quote of "I reject your reality and substitute my own."  I think that's a quote many of us video game fans can relate to. 

My all time favorite quote has to be "There's no glitter in warpaint!" -Christopher Born.  There's a story behind this.  During a Rutgers' Musicians Guild meeting, the subject of corpse paint came up and one guy said corpse paint all started with KISS, that Gene Simmons did it first.  And one dude slammed his fists on the table and shouted "THERE'S NO GLITTER IN WARPAINT!!!!"  The club itself was dominated by metalheads much like our music forum is, so Christopher Born's quote became one of the Guild's slogans.   

Honorable mention to Ralph Wiggum on The Simpsons.  I'm sure everyone has a favorite Ralph quote.  My favorite Ralph quotes are "Hi Super Nintendo Chalmers" and singing "ABCDEFG, How I wonder what you are. Thank you."

So, yeah, share some of your favorite quotes and why you like them so much. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 06:12:43 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 06:08:27 PM »

I recently heard this quote after my brother told me to watch The Boondock Saints.  I don't think I've got it exactly as it was said but...

“Of course we must fear the wicked. But there is another evil that we must fear more… and that is the indifference of good men.”

I was pretty tired and wasn't really paying attention to what was happening in the movie but these words just jumped at me and now they're kinda stuck. 

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 06:30:01 PM »

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.  -George Bernard Shaw

It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens. -Baha'u'llah

There are no innocent victims. If you live on this planet, you're guilty, period, fuck you, end of report, next case. -George Carlin
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 10:35:29 PM »

"You're in big trouble, pal. I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast."
"You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?!"
"....NO!"

My favorite lines in Happy Gilmore. Enough said.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 10:44:25 PM »

Happy Gilmore was freakin on tv earlier... did that spring this? Either way, it has and prolly always will be my favorite movie of his.

Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 05:27:10 AM »

"If it's sent by ship then it's a cargo, if it's sent by road then it's a shipment."  - Dave Allen

Always makes me laugh. =P
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 06:00:39 AM »

Blace, I've seen Happy Gilmore 15-20 times. It's easily my favorite movie.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 07:00:38 AM »

"I'm like the man who single-handedly built a rocket-ship and went to the moon! What was his name....Apollo Creed?"

"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to , all of life's problems."

"I never apologize for anything, I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

All from the one and only, Homer Simpson.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 08:52:38 AM »

"The very existence of flame throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
-George Carlin

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 09:29:32 AM »

Esper man, good call on Homer.  I'll honorable mention him as well.  He's one of my heroes.  One of my favorite Homer quotes is "It takes two people to lie.  One to lie and one to listen."  You know how there's that book The Tao of Pooh.  There needs to be a Tao of Homer. 

My fave quote is still "There's no glitter in warpaint." 

EDIT: I forgot my favorite quote from my all-time favorite movie This is Spinal Tap.  "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever." -David St. Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel. 

EDIT 2: Great recent movie quote from Slumdog Millionaire: "Money and women.  The reasons we make the most mistakes in our lives."  I'm sure someone said it a long time ago, but this was the first time I heard it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 09:34:09 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 01:26:26 PM »

This first one definitely speaks to the younger me that loved listening to punk rock. I still find it applicable: "For every action there is an equal and opposite government program." -Bob Wells

I found this one in my passport last year and it sticks out to me since I love animals. I'm far from PETA; I don't mind hunting as long as it isn't wasteful trophy hunting (and that's even okay so long as they use the animals' meet for themselves or family rather than wasting it). Anyway, here it is: "We send thanks to all the Animal life in the world. They have many things to teach us as people. We are glad they are still here and we hope it will always be so." -Excerpt from the Mohawk Thanksgiving Address

I actually found this in a fortune cookie! I'm sure it came from somewhere else, but I'm too lazy to find out where. It really spoke to me because a few months ago I was depressed because of my feelings for a girl I work with who I want(ed) to date, but was coming to the realization that I couldn't: "If you don't enjoy what you have, how could you be happier with more?"
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 01:40:05 PM »

I like the quote in Lord Scottish's signature.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 03:38:18 PM »

"People often think the well of wisdom is dry, yet they do not realise that they just aren't using a long enough rope to reach the water." -- Kyubo, 6th century
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 02:22:30 PM »

"Prepare to suck cock in Hell."

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 04:39:05 PM »

"Samantha Brown! You have to get out of here! Your vagina is haunted!"

Taken from Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose #53, reviewed here. Personally, I just find it pretty hilarious, and wish there were more social situations where it would be appropriate to use.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: