Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:23:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330188 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  *The* gamer-oriented question...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: *The* gamer-oriented question...  (Read 7061 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2006, 09:46:38 PM »

..simply, when do you plan to quit? (Or think you'll quit).

Personally, I've lsot interest in them over years, and its ahrder for me to get excited.  Im not sure about quit though.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 10:08:27 PM »

If I ever lose interest, then I lose interest. I don't really see anything that'll displace videogames totally though.

I have no plans to quit ever, though.

Murdoc

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 10:21:50 PM »

When my hands fall off.

I suppose it could happen, my intersts have shifted over the years. I usually do more productive things like working, building my portfolio, visiting grandma. But I doubt it will be phased out completely, at least in the near future.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 12:09:52 AM »

Like anything in life, be it gaming, playing a musical instrument, whatever hobby, there will be times when you experience burnout on them.  I've had moments where I'd been playing bass so much and so frantically that I didn't want to see it for a while.  So I focused my energies on other stuff, whether it be video games, writing, cooking, reading, drums, and eventually I beat the burnout.  

Sometimes if you have RPG burnout, playing games in other genres can keep things fresh.  This is partially why I think there is a strong correlation that RPG fans are also fans of really intense shooters.  Both are really diverse genres, but the shooters help RPG fans beat the burnout.  In much the same way, when I get burned out on bass but still want to do something musical, I bang away on the drumkit in my parents' basement (that is, when I go visit them.)  EDIT:  And it helps that shooters are generally pretty short, so you get that sense of completion quicker than you would with an RPG, some of which can get real cumbersome.  

In addition, it was so liberating when I sold a shitload of my video games on Ebay.  Sure, part of it was so I could buy a bass amp, but it was great because then I felt like my monstrous backlog was no longer an obligation where I had to beat them all.  Gaming then became fun for me again, because it didn't feel like an obligation (and thus, like work.)

Gaming is not something I'd like to give up.  I mean, it gives me the kind of satisfactions that TV shows and movies give to others.  I like the interactivity.  But that being said, I would give up gaming before I would ever give up music.  If it were a life/death decision, I'd choose my bass over video games any day of the week.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 12:24:30 AM »

Quote from: "Murdoc"
When my hands fall off.

That's pretty much when I plan on quitting.  The obsession with RPGs faded for me (other than maybe specific titles), but at the same time I'm always looking for a new game that I'm going to enjoy.  After all, as long as I'm still having fun, why would I want to quit?

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 12:33:07 AM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
In addition, it was so liberating when I sold a shitload of my video games on Ebay.  Sure, part of it was so I could buy a bass amp, but it was great because then I felt like my monstrous backlog was no longer an obligation where I had to beat them all.  Gaming then became fun for me again, because it didn't feel like an obligation (and thus, like work.)

Yeah this actually helped me out a TON.  I had so many games that I needed to finsh that everytime I'd sit down to play something I'd feel like it wasn't fun, but more I was doing it just to get through it.  Hell I sold my cube and xbox and a good 90% of my PS2 games.  It felt real nice, I almost sold my PS2 but I'm glad I didn't cause I'm startin to get back into a few games.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 12:46:31 AM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"

Sometimes if you have RPG burnout, playing games in other genres can keep things fresh.  This is partially why I think there is a strong correlation that RPG fans are also fans of really intense shooters.  Both are really diverse genres, but the shooters help RPG fans beat the burnout.  In much the same way, when I get burned out on bass but still want to do something musical, I bang away on the drumkit in my parents' basement (that is, when I go visit them.)  

I agree with this. When I had RPG burnout earlier this year I played a lot of music-oriented games. It was a strange trend, I started playing DDR more, and then I bought Gitaroo Man and Ouendan within the span of about two weeks.

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 12:48:20 AM »

I'll stop playing when nothing interests me anymore. I had a feeling it was going to happen after the current generation of consoles died out, and it likely would have if it hadn't been for the Revolution/Wii which has definitely gotten my attention.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 01:06:09 AM »

My answer is the same as the others' - when I lose interest. I have actually sold my a PS2 a couple of times when I've felt that I've no interested in games anymore, but I eventually always get a new one as new games I want to play get released.

Also, I think there's a missconception that you lose interest in gaming when you grow older. My father, who is 55 years old, actually plays games (mainly FPS) and anyone who's played a MMO know that there are a lot of older gamers playing those games.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 01:36:18 AM »

When I need to.

Gaming is a large part of my life right now, but eventually, my time may become limited so I may have to give it up. I do have to get a job someday, and in my current profession-to-be (I'm a med school student), I don't see very much time for actual gaming after university. I mean, I've already had to cut back a ton due to school, having a full time job may just cut it off entirely.

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 03:52:51 AM »

I don't know. RPGs have been a part of my life since I was a young boy, like many others here. To abandon it, would be like betraying a part of my childhood. Although certainly, too much of one thing is overkill, abandoning it completely is a bit too drastic. I would probably just do a whole lot less gaming, and play in small chunks. No need to rush anything anyway. No one's chasing you or putting a gun to your temple.

But when the day comes that I tie the knot, I'm afraid the lady is going to put me in my place when it comes to video games. :P
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 11:47:03 AM »

I don't plan on quitting, but I'm sure the time I have for gaming will decrease as I get older and have more responsibilites.  I don't think you can be to old for gaming either.  My mom plays Animal Crossing on the Gamecube and DS.  She also is addicted to Brain Age.  

For sure I won't be buying as many games in the future like I do now, but I would like to think it is something I can do to relax.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 01:01:54 PM »

Quote from: "Miho"

But when the day comes that I tie the knot, I'm afraid the lady is going to put me in my place when it comes to video games. :P

Good thing my wife likes games as much as I do, huh?
Being 31, married, with a 5 year old son, I definitely do not have as  much time to play as I used to. I actually thought my current systems would be the last ones I buy, but some of the new games are just looking too damn good. I figure as long as I have the interest, and the desire for the escape that gaming brings, I will continue to play them.
As Always, DC brings up a good point. There's no way I'm playing another epic rpg after the marathon that is DQVIII. I'm gonna be getting back into RE 4 and probably picking up God of War. THEN I'll be able to enjoy Suiko V.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 02:10:16 PM »

I don't know if I'll ever quit for a certainty but in the last year or so, I can definitely feel the desire to game waning. Hell, I haven't really played any game in the last couple months with the possible exception of the recently released SIN episode 1. I haven't even bothered to finish Suiko V... It seems the more games I have, the less I play any of them.

I've never been able to game like some other people on here who seem to finish 60 hour games every week, but even by my standards the time I have been devoting to playing games is steadily declining. Dunno what it is. Maybe I'm finally growing up.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 02:15:33 PM »

Please.  The 'real' gaming question is this one:

Have you beaten Takeshi no Chousenjou?

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: