Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 12:54:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
328013 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Molyneux: Best story ever will come from a game
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Molyneux: Best story ever will come from a game  (Read 3375 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2009, 11:49:21 PM »

VG247 link here.
Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 11:57:32 PM »

nonsense

n.

1. Words or signs having no intelligible meaning: a message that was nonsense until decoded.
   2. Subject matter, behavior, or language that is foolish or absurd.
   3. Extravagant foolishness or frivolity: a clown's exuberant nonsense.

Better than the Godfather, eh.  I won't believe it 'til I see it.  :P
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 12:00:23 AM by Geop » Logged

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 12:26:45 AM »

Sorry Petey, FFX-2 beat you to it.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 01:39:11 AM »

Remember when Molyneux used to not suck?

Why can't you make Magic Carpet 3 or another Syndicate game you stupid bastard.

Then again if he did they'd just end up like Theme Park world so let me rephrase that.

why can't you stop being a stupid bastard you stupid bastard?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 04:15:45 AM »

I hate that guy so much.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 04:37:15 AM »

Remember when Molyneux used to not suck?

Why can't you make Magic Carpet 3 or another Syndicate game you stupid bastard.

Somebody is supposed to be making a new Syndicate game, but I can't remember who.

Edit - Starbreeze Studios, who did Chronicles of Riddick.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 04:39:23 AM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 06:28:38 AM »

lawl

That is all. This dude is a moron.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 06:55:14 AM »

What makes him a moron? I'm the first to say Molyneux can't design a game worth crap anymore, but his statement isn't necessarily wrong. People make assumptions about great writing all the time. I'd say a game like Grim Fandango stands up to a lot of literature. It's not the best story ever told, but it's certainly a good one and engaging at many levels. It does depend on where the attention goes of course, but there's the potential there.

Games can explore storytelling in ways neither books nor television can. Not merely because of its interactive elements, but because it can deliver visuals, text, and audio all at the same time and is called upon repeatedly to do it from different perspectives. What's more, a game can play with a lot more time than television or movies can. There's a lot more room to deliver content. It's not that gaming is better than books or television, but that it has the potential to be as great as either.

Of course, I really doubt this great tale will come in Molyneux's time, or from his hands. Gaming is still in its infancy.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 10:43:59 AM »

Hidoshi beat me to it. I agree with what he said. But I also think that some people are taking the statement too literally.
This quote Has me thinking that he's referring to more than just a well-written story:
ďAnd I think that if I play the greatest story ever told in the same game as you play it, your greatest story is going to be different to my greatest story."

It's about choices. Freedom to change the direction of a story. Things only able to done with video games.
I imagine as the years go by, and game development continues to advance, that we will given more and more power over our gaming experiences. We will be creating our own personal "greatest story ever told".
At least that's how I see what he's saying.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Myau
Yeeeaaah!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 12:51:59 PM »

The ending of MGS3

Code:
when Snake has to shoot and kill The Boss, and the game just sits there panning over the flower field until you realise YOU'RE the one that has to pull the trigger, and kill her

comes to mind when I think of a narrative tool games have that other media doesn't.

Other than that, I think what constitutes a game makes the medium too jack of all trades. Sure, you have a great story, but shoddy gameplay can just as easily hinder that immersion.

In regards to Molyneux, I'd demand a new Theme Hospital if EA didn't own all the Bullfrog licenses. Otherwise it'd get a shitty DS remake like Theme Park did.

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 01:29:12 PM »

Interesting to say the least.  Im not a huge fan of pete, but I did enjoy Fable 2 quite a bit.  He does like to be very outspoken, which can be both a good thing, and a bad thing.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 02:12:21 PM »

I see more awful stories in games than I do any other medium. Before you jump down my throat, notice the word "I" at the beginning of the post. It's based on my experience and I'm not stating it as a fact.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 02:26:03 PM »

I see more awful stories in games than I do any other medium.

This probably has more to do with the fact that it's far easier to carry a game forward with factors other than story. A movie with amazing special effects just isn't going to be as effective as a game with solid gameplay.

Anyways, I don't actually think he's inherently wrong, I just think it's an audacious claim plus each medium is going to be better at different things. Hell, I don't think we've seen anything unanimously called the greatest story ever in all of our history, and I don't think a game's going to change that.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 02:46:53 PM by Eusis » Logged
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 02:31:12 PM »

I see more awful stories in games than I do any other medium. Before you jump down my throat, notice the word "I" at the beginning of the post. It's based on my experience and I'm not stating it as a fact.

Then you clearly lack experience. There are more books and movies available by far than games. Further, there is a higher ratio of narrative-driven books and movies than there are games. Consider that a large portion of games are racers, sports simulations, life sims, and plot-light RTSs and FPSs. Not to mention countless LEGO, Barbie, and other such throwaway franchise titles.

Games only really got on this whole story thing in a wide-reaching manner recently. Perhaps the last five to ten years. Prior to that, plot was largely what made RPGs special and genre lines were much clearer. Even then though, storytelling only really came into its own with the latter half of the SNES era, still limited by technology and the needs of the developers.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 05:23:44 PM »

While I think potentially games could have the best story, they are hampered somewhat by the fact companies don't tend to take them seriously enough (it wasn't until recently that companies started getting authors to lend their hands with the story in games).  It's too bad because there are games that show that the potential is there (notably Planescape: Torment).  I think a lot of it has to do with lingering preconceptions about the gaming audience being all preteens and/or similarly having no interest in the writing.  Can't really say I blame them on that when a random trip to GameFAQs fuels that apathy.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: