Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 09:27:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327460 Posts in 13408 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Shadow of the Colossus to become a movie!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Shadow of the Colossus to become a movie!  (Read 5886 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 05:36:47 PM »

Won't work. Might be an all right action flick, but won't ever match the game. The entire concept of Shadow of the Colossus can't be portrayed in any other medium than a video game because of its scope and perspective. SotC is deeply representative of its medium, and I don't think it'll translate well to anything else.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 06:54:03 PM »

I blame that Adam Sandler movie where he played the game through the whole movie.

Reign Over Me?

My little brother watched that movie and was like "hey, I want to play that." And that's what turned him on to Shadow of the Colossus.

And then he made me play it.

So I *credit* that Adam Sandler movie for leading to my playing of such an awesome game. :)

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 01:39:31 AM »

Won't work. Might be an all right action flick, but won't ever match the game. The entire concept of Shadow of the Colossus can't be portrayed in any other medium than a video game because of its scope and perspective. SotC is deeply representative of its medium, and I don't think it'll translate well to anything else.

I beg to differ. I can see it working if they simply scale back the number of colossi to about three or so and focus on recreating the isolation of the journey as well as the shear scope and intensity (and for the love of god not with that godawful shaky camera standby) of the colossi fights.

In fact I can definitely see a scene with the Wanderer riding Argo trying to catch up with the flying colossus in an attempt to climb onto it. Just a scene like that alone would make the movie for me if it were done right. However, I really doubt that there's anyone in Hollywood right now capable of recreating a scene like that, and it's certainly not these two guys (although to be fair I did some research on the director and he has done work with the Mummy franchise so my faith is ever so slightly higher than before, but then again I forgot what he did so go figure).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Megidolaon
60MP of DOOM
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 06:09:31 PM »

If they keep the artistic integrity of the game intact this could be amazing...

...so we're fucked, basically.
Quoted for truth, sadly.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 01:06:12 AM »

However, I really doubt that there's anyone in Hollywood right now capable of recreating a scene like that, and it's certainly not these two guys (although to be fair I did some research on the director and he has done work with the Mummy franchise so my faith is ever so slightly higher than before, but then again I forgot what he did so go figure).

The comment of turning it into an "Lord of the Rings-like epic" is enough to make me have no faith in these guys, not to mention that in the process of making that statement handwaved the artsy nature of the game.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 01:52:16 PM »

That's precisely what I'm worried will be lost: The artistic "silence" the game has. There's something anaemic about SotC's atmosphere, frail and quivering at first, then building towards titanic proportions. Similar to the works of Philip Glass, who builds and builds in tiny slivers of effect -- almost unnoticeably -- until the grand event is upon you.

There's a wealth of subtlety in SotC, and you can't merely apply an LotR or Mummy strategy to it. It's of epic scope, but the kind that you'd need Nicolas Meyer behind.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 08:24:03 AM »

That's precisely what I'm worried will be lost: The artistic "silence" the game has. There's something anaemic about SotC's atmosphere, frail and quivering at first, then building towards titanic proportions. Similar to the works of Philip Glass, who builds and builds in tiny slivers of effect -- almost unnoticeably -- until the grand event is upon you.

There's a wealth of subtlety in SotC, and you can't merely apply an LotR or Mummy strategy to it. It's of epic scope, but the kind that you'd need Nicolas Meyer behind.

That wasn't my point at all. My comment wasn't meant to imply any misguided faith but to indicate less dread than someone like Uwe Boll would inspire had he been mentioned. That does not in anyway mean that this movie isn't anything but utterly screwed, but was merely a gesture at taking a less pessimistic stance than everyone else. That and that I could actually see SotC being made into a great movie....just not by anyone in Hollywood right now.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Morgenstern
Star-Spawn of Cthulhu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 03:59:05 PM »

So I've heard.

Imagine it now...Titantic monsters invade New York City, rendering its populace entirely helpless. Only one man can stand against the Collossi Menace - John "Wander", played by Will "Welcome to Earth" Smith! Together with his faithful dog "Aggro", Smith embarks on a guerilla campaign against this formidable enemy.

If this really comes to pass, you heard it here first.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: