Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2014, 04:12:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337723 Posts in 13829 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Muramasa: The Demon Blade & a debate!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Muramasa: The Demon Blade & a debate!  (Read 2723 times)
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2009, 04:11:43 AM »

Dusted off my Wii and just started playing today. I'm working on a review, havin' fun so far. Absolutely gorgeous visuals. Language is even more difficult than Devil Summoner IV, even with voice acting. It's all classical Japanese. Imagine a non-native speaker of English having to decipher Shakespeare.

Fortunately, most of your time is spent fighting and exploring.

But umm...

Is this game supposed to be an RPG?

'Cause besides the occasional level up, it's basically a 2D Ninja Gaiden.

Didn't play Odin Sphere much, so I can't speak for that.

Question for the thread: What is the dividing line between an action / adventure game and an RPG for you? Has the site covered any games that you don't believe are RPG's?

Other obvious question: Who's getting this game?

My answer to the first question: Without going off on a whole speech about the historical conventions of the genre and Dungeons and Dragons, I'll say that for console RPG's, character customization, stat boosting, equipment management, and a relatively serious story are the four staples. Muramasa is loads of fun but light on the first three, so I'm on the fence.

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 04:36:55 AM »

Has the site covered any games that you don't believe are RPG's?

Zelda, and to some degree Castlevania. Whether or not Castlevania is properly an RPG is kind of irrelevant with all the stats and equipment it throws at you, but Zelda wouldn't even register as one if it weren't for the setting and inspiring earlier action RPGs that definitely jump the line to RPG. Metroid is practically proof of this, possibly Castlevania too in that it has that same gameplay but with stats and equipment thrown on.

But, uhh, if I was in a position to decide what/what not to cover I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think the real question is whether there's a logical reason to cover it and if there's a notable overlap in interests. What I just said about Zelda doubles as sound reasoning, and there's spin-offs that aren't strictly RPGs but will be of interest to fans of the series, such as Dissidia.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 05:35:01 AM »

Hell yeah I'm getting Muramasa...whenever it comes out over here. I'm infinitely jealous of you right now, James. And with the Final Fantasy XIII demo a week away, well...screw you. Just screw you. =P

As for your other question, I guess the dividing line for me is a leveling system of some kind. You know, experience points and all that jazz. I need to feel as though I'm getting more powerful as I kill things. That's why I've never EVER considered Zelda to be an RPG. It has RPG qualities, no doubt, but I never really see Link make any physical progress. He just collects tools that allow him to do different things. That's not an RPG. For me, an RPG deals with noticable, numerical status changes, or some form of progression (like Dark Cloud and its weapon leveling system).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 05:37:55 AM by Sketch » Logged
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 08:12:35 AM »

The only thing that bothers me about RPGFan's coverage is that sometimes there's a lack of consistency. I don't have a problem with covering action/adventure games like Zelda as long as other similar games are covered too. Okami actually has more RPG elements than Zelda and follows a very similar structure but was ignored by the site.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 09:21:43 AM »

I think people have been assuming that it's exactly like Odin Sphere just because they have the same art style.  Which is a ludicrous assumption, but it's what people are doing.  I've always thought of it as an action game rather than an RPG, because I never saw anything in the gameplay or screens/videos so suggest it had anything to do with the RPG genre.

And for the record, I've never considered any Castlevania or Zelda game to be an RPG.  But like has been said, it's really up to you guys to decide, not us.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 09:25:19 AM »

Has odin sphere written all over it. Looks nice, I don't have a wii though and I never finished odin sphere, way too much reciclyng in that game.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 03:06:25 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:01:07 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 10:28:51 PM »

Definitely getting Muramasa as soon as it comes out. I loved Odin Sphere(complicated as it was). Odin Sphere is more of an action RPG, but Muramasa seems like straight action.

Hardly a bad thing, since Odin Sphere's was enjoyable, and Muramasa seems like it'll be even better.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: