Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 11:33:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319214 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Professor Layton type games in 3d
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Professor Layton type games in 3d  (Read 3240 times)
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2009, 02:11:14 PM »

Does any one know if there any Professor Layton and the Curious Village Or Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars -- The Director's type games on the DS, only in 3D? Without battles and grinding.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 02:13:57 PM »

What does it matter if games like that are in 3D anyway? They're all point and click, I don't think there's even an immersion factor. Nevertheless Grim Fandango IS a graphic adventure with 3D character models, so you may want to check that out.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 02:32:50 PM »

MYST: Revelation... one of the best games I've played in the genre... awesome voice acting.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 02:43:59 PM »

Myst 4 isn't on the DS. And Myst 1 DS is supposed to be a really awful port.

But uh yeah there are a lot of 3D point and click adventure games on the PC. And most of them suck, too, which is why the genre is mostly dead now.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 03:18:53 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:01:27 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 04:03:11 PM »

Graphic adventures don't always translate well to consoles, but most PC ones (even the newer ones) can run fine on mid-range PCs.  Some I liked include A Vampyre Story, Grim Fandango, Gabriel Knight 2-3, Escape from Monkey Island, Dreamfall.  Games like The Longest Journey, Syberia and most offerings from The Adventure Company have polygon characters atop prerendered backdrops; a graphic style used in the Playstation era Final Fantasy games (FF7-9.)  But as Mesh said, a lot of PC graphic adventures published by The Adventure Company aren't that good. 

Hope you're enjoying Broken Sword DS.  Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars is one of my all time favorite graphic adventures.  George Stobbart is one of my favorite video game protagonists.  It's too bad the voice acting couldn't fit on the DS cart.  The Broken Sword series has consistently had excellent voice acting. 

A lot of graphic adventure ports to DS were very poorly done.  Pat's review of the Myst port was no exaggeration.  And the Syberia port for DS was a complete chop job. 

I'd recommend the Touch Detective games, but I seem to be the only critic that really liked them.  Those play more like western-style graphic adventures than Japanese style visual novels. 

Though they're not 3D, some good Japanese visual novel/graphic adventure type games are the Ace Attorney series, Lifesigns: Surgical Unit, Time Hollow's not bad, I'm enjoying Lux-Pain (but that one's a bit of an acquired taste.) 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 08:42:25 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 04:15:56 PM »

If you have a good PC, Rapelay's pretty good.

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 04:30:36 PM »

If you have a good PC, Rapelay's pretty good.

LOL, except that is in japanese wasn't it?

I really liked Farenheit (a.k.a Indigo Prophecy), the last chapter was a complete mess up though...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 06:36:14 PM »

Lifesigns: Surgical Unit

What's that one? Never heard of it.

Has anyone played Theresia? I've been looking around for it, but can't even find it, which is a shame as it's a new release.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 06:42:04 PM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 03:15:31 PM »

Sorry about the MYST reference, I missed that he was refering to the DS.

Well, you can't go wrong with the basics: Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk, and the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney series. But you've probably already played thoughs (if not... what are we all here talking about?). Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk are in 3D (sort of). Phoenix Wright is, of course, not.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 05:08:27 PM »

Duh!  Trace Memory!  One of the best DS games out there.  Hotel Dusk too; it's by the same developer. 

To add to Myst and Syberia, avoid Jake Hunter: Defective Chronicles.  It was terrible.  My review says it all.  However, a director's cut/apology version of that game is being released later this year so hopefully it won't suck as bad. 

Lard:
I have a review of Lifesigns: Surgical Unit on the site.  It was marketed more as a Trauma Center clone, but is Phoenix Wright in a hospital.  I liked the game, personally, but most rated it poorly.  It's on the DS.

I haven't played Theresia, but I know Gen Eric Gui has (and he liked it.)  From what I understand, Theresia plays a lot like Shadowgate. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:33:53 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: