Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 12:53:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337994 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  suikoden question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: suikoden question  (Read 2693 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2009, 05:29:38 PM »

so im playing suikoden tactics right now and i like it a lot. so i'm wondering if they may ever make another tactics type game. all the systems of suikoden seem to fit well in the confines of  an srpg.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 06:50:15 PM »

Rhapsodia sold like crap so they probably won't make another one, no.  At this point, with the amount of support that the general Suikoden fanbase gives to the series, we'll be lucky if they make more games like Tierkreis, let alone anything even slightly experimental like Rhapsodia.
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 06:05:15 AM »

I wouldn't mind another SRPG outta Suikoden. Playing Tactics made me like IV much more, but I'm one of those weirdo Suikoden fans that didn't think IV was all that terrible to begin with.
Tierkreis, I'm having a blast with, but as much as I like it I'd hafta say it only slightly feels like a Suikoden to me. I'd definitely play a sequel to it, I just hope they don't completely abandon the main series universe for Tierkreis'.

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 09:46:28 AM »

I never played IV, but heard stormy night stories about the game. I only played Suikoden III and liked the game. Possibly I have bad taste or need to expand my horizon on Suikoden games?

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 10:24:45 AM »

I never played IV, but heard stormy night stories about the game. I only played Suikoden III and liked the game. Possibly I have bad taste or need to expand my horizon on Suikoden games?

Suikoden 3 was amazing.  There is nothing wrong with you at all.

but I'm one of those weirdo Suikoden fans that didn't think IV was all that terrible to begin with.

Holy shit, I thought I was all alone.  The final battles were kind of lackluster and I didn't like the sailing too much, but the rest of the game was amazing.
HolyKnight
boredum invents amusement

98544544 jltidus zidane_6969
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 11:19:16 AM »

i bought 4 brand new when it came out and just didn't like it.  at that time i had started with 2 and loved it went to 3 and the story just wasn't as good as 2 but it was still a good game.  after 4 i had little doubt they'd make another good suikoden game but then 5 came out and it was great.  haven't gotten to try the ds make but as far as another suikoden tactics i highly doubt it. 

~Currently Playing~
Final Fantasy Tactics (psp; FINALLY beat weigraf battle at end of chapter 3), Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core (psp; almost at the end), Suikoden (psp download; just started), Star Ocean 2 (psp; just got to second planet), World of Warcraft (pc; The Forgotten Coast server, Level 73 Ret Paladin, Tormentblood
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 09:05:10 PM »

I enjoyed Suikoden IV a lot, but I'm a whore for games set in archipelagos, so that probably had a big impact. Regardless, I enjoyed it and think that Tactics just fleshed out IV's story for the better.

As of now, Suikoden Tactics is easily my favorite SRPG, and I think they did a great job of distilling the Suikoden essence into an SRPG. Had they tried to make it a main series game I don't think I would have been as happy, but as a gaiden it's great.

Speaking of the series, I've been on a Suikoden kick lately. I'm playing S1 on PSP and S3 on my PS3. Good times aplenty.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 01:11:26 AM »

What's Tierkreis supposed to be like? It sounds like a pretty traditional JRPG so I'm assuming it's just like the rest of the games in the series.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 06:14:08 AM »

4 wasn't terrible by traditional RPG standards, but it fell short by Suikoden standards. The problem with 4 is, it only tells half of a story. You need to play both IV and Tactics to get the most out of either game.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 09:53:49 AM »

What's Tierkreis supposed to be like? It sounds like a pretty traditional JRPG so I'm assuming it's just like the rest of the games in the series.

It's pretty damn good is what it is.  The only problem I have with it is that, for better or worse, it pretty much copies the original Suikoden.  So the story is pretty neat and the gameplay is fast and good(If a little shaky, once again certain characters are really, really powerful and there's very little room for customization), however there's a lot of problems re: recruiting all 108 stars.  There's a good 30 or so that most normal people are never, ever, ever going to find without an FAQ of some kind.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: