Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 12:13:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327543 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Someone tell me
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Someone tell me  (Read 9520 times)
Stubs

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2006, 02:44:55 PM »

Alright, this is my first post here so I don't know if this thread goes into this forum, so if it doesn't will a mod move it?

I haven't played video games in years and a couple of weeks ago I decided to start playing again. I popped in FFVI and realized how much I loved the RPG genre.  

Fast-forward to last week when I stopped at my local Eb Games and I picked up Radiata Stories. I love the game, though the dragons were kind of wimpy. Come on, they were guardians, they should have been stronger.

Anyways, can someone recommend me some RPGs to play?

Again, I'm sorry if this doesn't belong in this forum.

Currently Playing: Suikoden V, Guild Wars (in game is Stubsy Bear)
Recently Finished: Radiata Stories (human and non-human ending), FFVI
Backlog: Xenosaga EP. 1, Xenosaga EP. 2
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 02:53:22 PM »

Welcome to RPG fan mate, there are some really good guys here who can reccomend some great titles for you, I wouldn't be as good becuase I hail from Europe where we get not as many titles :/

but good luck and half fun on the forums.

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 03:46:02 PM »

Depends on what platform and sub-genre you are interested in, but I will give it a try:

PlayStation
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy VII
Parasite Eve
Xenogears

Dreamcast
Grandia II

PlayStation 2
Final Fantasy X
Kingdom Hearts I and II
Xenosaga Episode I and II
Krelian

pmtome@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 03:57:24 PM »

My rec,s are :
In playstation 1:
Chrono cross
Valkyrie profile
Xenogears
Vagrant Story.
Suikoden II
Arc the lad 2

And in ps2:

Xenosaga I and II
Shadow Hearts 1 and 2.

Gba:
Golden Sun 1 and 2
Sword of mana

And for the last in sega saturn: panzer dragon saga

Sona mi areru ec sancitu
Stubs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 03:58:39 PM »

Sorry, I probably should've mentioned a few games I've played.

Played:
FFIX
FFVII
FFVIII
FFT
Radiata Stories
FFIV
Kingdom Hearts
FFX
Tales of Symphonia

Liked:
FFIV
FFIX
FFT
Radiata Stories
Kingdom Hearts
Tales of Symphonia

Yeah, sorry for not mentioning that before. And thank you Professor Gast for the suggesting some games. I'll keep them in mind.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 05:10:22 PM »

Check out the Digital Devil Saga games and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, though I recommand DDS more for your first shot of the SMT series of games. People are suggesting SuikII, and that's /very/ good, but SuikV is newer and much easier to find, and loved by a lot of people here so I'd grab that if you have trouble finding II. III is also, arguably, a great title, but that's better played after 1 and 2. Make sure to check out DQVIII too unless you hated the old DQ/DW games. It may be worth a look even if you did though.

XS1 and 2 I'd be weary on; nevertheless both games run for 20 or less so it's not like they're exactly risky purchases. I personally loved XS1 while abhorring 2 for the most part, though I know quite a few people here hate XS1 too. Personally, I'm hoping that XS3 restores the series enough for one final outting.
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 05:35:03 PM »

I would recommend any SMT game you can get your hands on.  Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga I and II and If you can get your hands on them, the PSX ones are great too (Persona I and II).

As for Xenosaga...  It's incredibly story-centric, just be aware of that (In fact, Episode I barely qualifies as a game).  Know that you get to decide very little in what happens.  Great characters and story and if thats your thing, I'm sure you will enjoy.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 06:00:16 PM »

Welcome to the RPGFan boards, Stubs.

Give the Gust RPGs a shot-- both Atelier Iris games. The second one just came out recently. The Atelier Iris series are quirky turn-based RPGs, set in a awkward fantasy world. Both have sprite graphics, so if you love sprites, (like I do) you'll probably appreciate the series.

Also, do check out the Mother series. Mother 2 released in the US back in the early 90s known as EarthBound. You may be familiar with that name. It was for the SNES. An excellent, enjoyable RPG. I suggest playing it sometime. Mother 3 released for the GBA last month, and it's just as fun as the last one, if not better.
Stubs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 07:31:27 PM »

One thing I know is that the SMT games are hard to find and they are expensive so I don't know if I will be getting them anytime soon.

The Atelier Iris games do look interesting. If I can find the first I could possibly pick it up. But the game I've been really looking at has been Suikoden V. So it could possibly be those two games I pick up.

Xenosaga looks interesting. I might pick them up at a later time when the third comes out (. . .I like to have the entire series).

And I do remember my brother playing Earthbound back in the day. It was certainly interesting.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys.

Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 10:24:47 PM »

Suikoden V. Holy God. Or Suikoden II for that matter if you can find it anywhere.

Also another vote for Digital Devil Saga. A bit hard, but excellent story, and you feel rewarded after you beat it.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 10:35:01 PM »

Get Suikoden V, absolutely.

Wild Arms Alter Code F is good too if you can get past the shitty job Agetec did with the localization, though Wild Arms 3 and 4 aren't nearly as good.

The two Kingdom Hearts games are great fun, too, even if you don't like the whole Disney angle.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 10:35:37 PM »

DDS1 /could/ be a problem, but I frequently see that used on GameStops/EBs, I believe for $35. And DDS2 is on GS/EB's website for $40 new, so those two are also the best to start off with due to being relatively common.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 10:41:31 PM »

I have to give my automatic response to recommendation threads:  Dark Cloud 2.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 11:05:39 PM »

Just as a heads-up, the Megami Tensei games people are recommending (i.e. Digital Devil Saga) are set in modern/post-modern times rather than your castles/knights fantasy settings.  I love the MegaTen series myself because of the unique post-modern settings, but many people don't really dig  that.  

What's great for you is that ever since the 16-bit days, RPGs have gotten more popular and there is a wider variety for you to choose from.  Back in ye olden days, we just took what we could get, but now we can actually be selective.  

I think in order for us to help you better recommend stuff, we need some information from you.  

-Do you want a turn-based RPG?  

-Are you opposed to action-RPGs (in the vein of the Y's or Mana series)?  

-Since you mentioned FFT, I would assume you like the Strategy-RPG genre, in which case NIS (Nippon Ichi Soft) has released a bunch in the US, such as Disgaea and Phantom Brave.  Thing is, they have a much different feel than FFT or Tactics Ogre (FFT was based on Tactics Ogre.)  

-What is it you want out of your ideal RPG?  Are you willing to deal with some clunky gameplay for the sake of an amazing story?  Or are you willing to have a less amazing story in favor of really fun gameplay?  To give concrete examples, the Xenosaga games have amazing story, but clunky gameplay.  Whereas Tales of Symphonia has a by-the-numbers story, but awesomely fun gameplay.  

And be prepared to get a lot of divergent opinions.  Take Star Ocean 3 for example.  Staff member Shiguma/Ryan Mattich absolutely loved the game and gave it a glowing review.  However, many people in the community couldn't stand the game for X, Y, or Z reason.  

I can't really help you out too much on RPGs since I'm more the graphic adventure/digital novel/love-adventure guy here on these boards and the most recent console RPG I played was Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana (which I absolutely loved.)  But consider what I've said and definitely look through the editor and reader reviews on the site since those give you a LOT of coherent information on the games.

Still, if you can dig digital novels, Ever17: Out of Infinity and Hourglass of Summer are two of the best.

I approve of this nonsense!
Stubs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 01:01:34 AM »

I tend to lean more to the story part, as long as the gameplay is not completely broken. I has to have some decent gameplay.

Reason I liked FFT so much was because I loved it's story line. That is one reason I'm really looking forward to FFXII's plot.

And Eusis, if I find one of the SMT games for those prices I'll pick them up.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: