Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 07:03:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334702 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Someone tell me
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Someone tell me  (Read 9974 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 01:32:07 AM »

XSII's gameplay may be just that; it was for me. But some people don't mind, or flat out love the battle system. If you're intolerant of long battles though, you may be better off reading a synopsis.
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 01:52:15 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
XSII's gameplay may be just that; it was for me. But some people don't mind, or flat out love the battle system. If you're intolerant of long battles though, you may be better off reading a synopsis.

I loved it, it was nice to have something different for once.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 03:07:18 AM »

Digital Devil Saga, Shadow Hearts: From the New World, Wild Arms 4, Dragon Quest VIII, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.

There are a lot of goodies out there.
But honestly, you really can't go wrong with a lot of the stuff mentioned in this thread :P

Welcome to the Fan, kiddo!
Stubs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 10:13:56 AM »

I always thought the Shadow Hearts games were part of a series, or am I wrong?

Currently Playing: Suikoden V, Guild Wars (in game is Stubsy Bear)
Recently Finished: Radiata Stories (human and non-human ending), FFVI
Backlog: Xenosaga EP. 1, Xenosaga EP. 2
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 10:20:04 AM »

They are, but Shadow Hearts: From The New World is fairly self-contained. There are references to the previous games in the series, but it's not really a direct sequel.

I'd suggest that you play through all Shadow Hearts games anyway, though, because it's a very good set of games.
Stubs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 10:32:04 AM »

Alright, thanks for the information.

I just realized something. If I bought all the games that I wanted from this thread, I'd be so broke.

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 12:29:26 PM »

Quote from: "Stubs"
Alright, thanks for the information.

I just realized something. If I bought all the games that I wanted from this thread, I'd be so broke.

HAHAHA!

Welcome back to RPGs!

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Stubs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2006, 12:38:09 PM »

I'm pretty happy that RPG's have gone a little more mainstream though. That just means the more games I can play.

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 10:40:58 PM »

Pretty much everything I would say has been mentioned here, but my highest recomendations would go to Kingdom Hearts 2 (especially since you liked the first one), DDS1+2, and DQ8. KH2 is a great game and pretty much the only game that I have picked up the old habit of playing through it for 10 hours a day, three days straight. As far as DDS1+2 go (and this goes for SMT:Nocturne as well), I would probably say they rank among my top 5 games of all time, possibly because I am a sucker for the art style, possibly because the story is quite amazing, and most likely because the gameplay is so phenomenal with the press turn system. DQ8 is a game that basically everyone loves, except for people who don't like the previous DQ/DW games as Eusis explained. You need a bit of patience for it, but it pays off in the end.

And I don't know if you are playing anything on the computer, but if you are, TES4: Oblivion and WoW are great addictions/games.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2006, 06:59:56 PM »

I'm pretty happy that RPG's have gone a little more mainstream though. That just means the more games I can play.

Oh God, I totally disagree.  Too many RPGs are being released now.  And a lot of them range from aboslute shit to just plain mediocre.  I remember the days when you'd get one to three RPGs a year and they were all awesome.  Now you just get too many damned sub-par fillers.

Anyway, play Shining Force II, cause I'm jaded and old, yarr!

ps well come to rpg game site

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2006, 08:02:47 PM »

I tend to lean more to the story part, as long as the gameplay is not completely broken. I has to have some decent gameplay.

Then I definitely recommend Suikoden 5.  It has a superb story (lots of political intrigue and well developed characters) and the gameplay isn't broken.  It has a few minor technical quips like slightly overlong load times & awkward camera angles, but those problems aside, it's an awesome game.

Anyway, here's a list of RPGs I've loved this generation.

-PS2-

Final Fantasy X
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Digital Devil Saga 1&2
Suikoden 5
Metal Saga
Grandia 3
Atelier Iris

Some of those games are more gameplay oriented than story oriented (Metal Saga & Grandia 3 in particular), but all of them are superb games that I think most RPGers would enjoy.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2006, 09:27:02 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
Oh God, I totally disagree.  Too many RPGs are being released now.  And a lot of them range from aboslute shit to just plain mediocre.  I remember the days when you'd get one to three RPGs a year and they were all awesome.  Now you just get too many damned sub-par fillers.

Yeah, god forbid we do some research to avoid the shit games and yield 3-6 worthwhile RPGs a year over 1-3, depending on how lucky we are with a localization company! Also, more companies giving a genuine damn about the translation quality of the games, and not frequently running around butchering things, but I guess stuff like that's pretty minor. :p

Also, not all RPGs were great.
Stubs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2006, 09:56:33 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"

And apparantly I disagree with you.

What are you supposed to do when you completed those three games a year? Seriously, I would like to know.

Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2006, 08:04:39 AM »

EVERYONE IS SO CRANKY ON THE VIDEO GAMES SITE.

Stubs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2006, 11:45:46 AM »

I would just generally like to know what you are going to play with all that down time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: