Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 03:18:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330094 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Someone tell me
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Someone tell me  (Read 9711 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2006, 12:30:35 PM »

Learn a musical instrument?

Play Mario Kart?

Jack off?

Maybe I'm crazy, but back in the day, when those three RPGs a year were done, I did other things.  It's not a tricky concept. :P

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2006, 01:04:16 PM »

I tell you, there are so many things I'd rather do than play video games:

-play bass (or drums when I go visit the folks)
-play with my band or just jam with random people; I find promoting my band fun too.  I love making flyers.
-write songs/music
-lift weights
-play sports/games with friends (i.e. basketball, badminton, ultimate frisbee, bocce)
-cook
-read
-listen to music
-socialize
-go out (especially to shows, so I can hear/see local bands play out; I like to go clubbing too since I like to dance.  I also like to do my voice impersonations at open-mic nights.  Karaoke is way fun too.)  

Video games shouldn't be life itself.  Just a condiment.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2006, 01:20:42 PM »

I would hope people do other things besides just sit at home and play video games. =P

I like to do pretty much the same things as you, Dincrest. I play bass as well, but I don't have a band. It's more of a hobby. Something I want to take to a certain level and just enjoy it.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Stubs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2006, 01:56:47 PM »

I know enough musical instruments.

And I meant game wise. If this is your preferred genre to play and you only get 3 games a year, what other kind of games are you going to play?

Currently Playing: Suikoden V, Guild Wars (in game is Stubsy Bear)
Recently Finished: Radiata Stories (human and non-human ending), FFVI
Backlog: Xenosaga EP. 1, Xenosaga EP. 2
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2006, 02:06:44 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
EVERYONE IS SO CRANKY ON THE VIDEO GAMES SITE.

LOL CONTRIBUTION
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2006, 02:06:55 PM »

Quote from: "Stubs"
I know enough musical instruments.

And I meant game wise. If this is your preferred genre to play and you only get 3 games a year, what other kind of games are you going to play?

I play alot of fighting games. And other odd games, like Katamari Damacy.

And there's still alot of old RPGs I haven't beaten that I'd like to beat before buying new ones.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2006, 02:11:34 PM »

EVERYONE IS SO CRANKY ON THE VIDEO GAMES SITE.

stop douching with drano plz thx
Stubs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2006, 02:13:28 PM »

Thank you for actually answering my question Fadedsun.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2006, 06:00:19 PM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
Learn a musical instrument?

Play Mario Kart?

Jack off?

Maybe I'm crazy, but back in the day, when those three RPGs a year were done, I did other things.  It's not a tricky concept. :P

Hear hear, good sir.

Anyway, Mister Stubs, I generally only play RPGs, but I like to "mix it up" as the kids are saying these days by playing some fighting games.  Just recently, I have been playing a lot of Dead or Alive 3.  It's good at chopping up the play time between RPGs.

And it's not like all RPGs these days suck.  Just a lot of them do.  :P  I like when a lot of good RPGs are released, but when you get constant crap like Xenosaga, Final Fantasy Ten Million, ten .Hack games in a year...  Well, it's just like the collective pool of RPGs gets watered down.  It no longer goes from - "Wow, I played all five RPGs that came out this year for Nintendo and they were all great!"  And that changes to - "Wow, I played all 30 RPGs that came out this year and only one of them was actually worth any time."

And on the opposite side of the coin, if there /are/ 30 fucking excellent RPGs released all in one year, then I find that as a whole, the genre waters down.  I mean, if you eat steak and potatoes every night, aren't you gonna get sick of it?  I know that's not the case for everyone, but for me, I like to eat a hotdog or two every now and then.

YAY PENIS JOKES.

Stubs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2006, 06:16:37 PM »

I see where you are coming from, but I'm happy to know they are bringing over these games even if they do suck.

They could just throw up the middle finger to us western gamers and never localise another RPG game again, but then we would never know if which ones suck or which ones will be awesome. Least they have some respect for us and they do provide us some games to play.

And think about it, if we bought all the RPG's that came out during the course of a year and they see that we actually will buy them, they will have more incentive to bring over a lot of the better quality RPG's that the Japan based consumers and only them get to enjoy.

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2006, 07:45:46 PM »

Quote from: "Stubs"
I see where you are coming from, but I'm happy to know they are bringing over these games even if they do suck.

They could just throw up the middle finger to us western gamers and never localise another RPG game again, but then we would never know if which ones suck or which ones will be awesome. Least they have some respect for us and they do provide us some games to play.

And think about it, if we bought all the RPG's that came out during the course of a year and they see that we actually will buy them, they will have more incentive to bring over a lot of the better quality RPG's that the Japan based consumers and only them get to enjoy.

Then again, if we buy all of the titles they localize, they might find more of a reason to just churn out games for the sake of money and it would make the balance even worse. But I'm just saying for the sake of saying it, I agree with your statement.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2006, 07:52:06 PM »

Los - What is/isn't good is purely subjective. All the games you listed happen to have their fanbases, or at least some redeemig value to them. I'd much prefer to have those 30 titles, only 5 of them are great, but 1 or 2 that I /love/ that many others won't like, rather than just those 5 but miss out on titles I'd really have liked.

Besides, people, critics, whoever will weed out the good from the average, and the great from the good, So there's really no harm for us to having this many out (outside of rushed development at least, which will happen anyway) unless you absolutely must beat /every/ RPG that comes out or at least own all of them. Other genres are filled with an assload of titles anyway, so cutting back on RPGs compared to those others would suck.

Besides, the bad titles of the bunch would just make the good ones look better anyway. Inevitably there will be titles better than others, and if all of them were truly equally good, then they'd all be considered average. Likewise, if you were to compares some of even the worst RPGs out today to stuff on the Atari 2600 and whatnot, then it'd seem to be awesome as hell.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2006, 09:08:53 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Los - What is/isn't good is purely subjective.

I know that's not the case for everyone

Yes, everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions, Eus.  This is just mine.  :P

Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2006, 04:42:18 PM »

and if all of them were truly equally good, then they'd all be considered average.

I can't say you are wrong, but that's just an intellectual construction. I mean, practically speaking, if all games were like FFVI - or say your favourite RPG, whichever it may be - thus, all being equally average, would you be complaining about mediocrity? ;)
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2006, 04:51:16 PM »

Probably not, because at some point he will get bored and then indeed start to consider them average :P.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: