Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 03, 2014, 04:17:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330207 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  XMen III, Spoilers ahoy!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: XMen III, Spoilers ahoy!  (Read 5648 times)
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2006, 03:57:40 PM »

Just seen it, and it is awesome!

From the second trailer, I formed the following theories:

1. Jean/Phoenix kills Scott at Lake Alkali, hence the reason there's no posters for him and he's only in one or two scenes of the trailer.

2. The funeral scene is Scott's, due to the fact he isn't present.

3. Jean comes to her senses by the end of the film and uses her powers of the Phoenix to bring Scott back to life.

All I'll say is I was spot on with some of it, and way off with the rest!

I always got the feeling that the
Code:
"cure" wouldn't be as permanent as we were lead to believe, as demonstrated by Magneto in the closing sequence with the chess piece.

I also felt that the film has been left open for another sequel. Whether they'll get certain cast members back again. My main reason for thinking this is the scene that plays after the credits finish...
Code:
where the man with no higher brain functions in Xavier's 'case study' that he begins to show some of the students in the Muir Island centre wakes up and speaks with the Professor's voice.

It was good to see a lot of the Morloks making an appearance, too. And the little homage to the Juggernaught Bitch video wasn't wasted on me!

Overall, a fitting successor to the greatness that was XMen and X2.

Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 04:07:31 PM »

So, moving my X-Men 3 post here then. I'm, apparently, of a different opinion than Mr. Gately:

So just got back from X-Men 3. Minor spoilers herein.

FUCK YOU, Brett Ratner. This was a damn travesty, and a horrible way to end an otherwise pretty good franchise. The dialogue was bad (and even cornier than you could expect from a comic book flick), there were too many new mutants that recieved little to no character development, the dramatic scenes were just plain bad and even the action scenes were pretty damn sloppily directed. Not to mention a lot of X-Men acting out of character.

My biggest problem was probably all the new mutants that were introduced, and then pretty much forgotten. (Arch)Angel was there for a total of 3 minutes, tops, and Colossus had like four lines. The X-Men (in the comics) are a very interesting bunch of characters, and just throwing a bunch of them into the movie without giving them any emotional depth is selling them way short. The previous two films actually did a good job of balancing action with character development.

Another huge flaw was that Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix was nothing more than a sub-plot, with the main story being about a cure for mutantism. If you're putting Dark Phoenix in a movie, how the hell can you not make her the core of it? Pure insanity.

So, good points. Uhm, there weren't very many of them to be honest. I liked Kitty Pryde, and that was about it.

If I were to grade the film, I'd give it a 3 out of 10. As I said, it is a horrible way to end the series. Someone should make sure that the hack Ratner is never allowed near a film shoot ever again.
Murdoc

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 04:47:58 AM »

I liked it.

Yes, there was too little character development, I thought Arch Angel was just a pussy who hated his dad. Yes, Scott was whiny and
Code:
the only times we see him are when he cries, then he dies
, so my only qualms were that far too many X-men are portrayed as pussy bitches. I mean, really, is Rogue suprised when
Code:
Ice Man is flirty with other chicks? For one, her eyes are too close together, and two, you cant touch her vagina without dying. Anyone else is going to look pretty good.

Then there's Wolverine and Xaviar. Kick ass.

Also, it's not fair to compare the comics to the movie. Comics have a lot more time and space to present new characters and plot. I thought they did a good job for the movie.[/code]
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 05:55:25 AM »

I can't really blame Rattner, it's not his fault he got handed an awful script and got his production time slashed by half a year.

Despite the first two movies doing an alright job, I don't know why people got all hyped up about this one.  They'd written themselves into a corner in so many ways: By flashing the Phoenix just to make fanboys pop boners; by playing up the Wolverine crowd too much and not establishing Scott with any sort of leadership--they had to write him out, they'd done two movies with him being the butt of jokes, he couldn't just do that again or come back and lead....

It was able to make an entertaining few hours out of a lousy script through some members of the production staff working their asses off to polish some of the little stuff.

Code:
I'm the Juggernaut, bitch.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 03:56:51 PM »

I'll just post here what I already posted on my livejournal...

So at midnight I went to the opening of X Men III: The Last Stand. I liked it a lot better than the first two, though there are a few twists that (while totally unexpected) really seemed detrimental overall. First off, let me say that Brett Ratner's decision to toss in one hell of a pop culture reference was a stroke of genius. That alone would have made the movie for me. The fact that those 104 minutes were filled with some of the most stylized and impressive looking special effects I've ever seen was just the icing on the cake. The fight scenes were excellent; all the choreography and intensity was beautifully done, and the CG powers were so seamlessly rendered into the action that it never missed a beat.

The next few paragraphs contain minor spoilers, so read at your own risk.

The story strays a lot from the source material, but it works very well in its context: as everybody already knows, Jean Grey is back... sort of. Instead of her regular old self she's now "Phoenix," an alter ego Professor Xavier "sealed off" 20 years earlier in an attempt to limit Jean's massive telekinetic abilities. Actually, let me correct myself: her powers are better described as "limitless" than "massive."

In the comics, Phoenix was an alien existence that took control of Jean's body and increased her powers exponentially. In the movie, since it was already a part of her, only the power increase is the same. Actually, she seems even more powerful in the movie than I ever remember seeing her, as if the writers confused Phoenix for the Scarlet Witch. Her outfit change by the end of the movie seems to indicate that, and the way she uses her powers certainly have more than just a little in common with the Witch's.

That's sort of an unfair comparison, though, as Phoenix's unpredictable psychic powers are pretty much deadpan ringers for Wanda's probability field distortions- only Phoenix can control them better. Either way, I'm pretty sure the power to cause upside-down waterfalls to instantaneously rise from the Hudson while obliterating every person nearby into dust was specifically made for the movie- and what a fine set piece that was.

I can see myself having plenty of fun with the ability to create and distort all electromagnetic fields at will. I can't really hold it against Jean, then, if a few of her demonstrations went a little too far.

Beast had a few golden moments ("I remember when this used to fit me"), and his fight scenes were among the best. His history must've been changed a little, too. I remember reading a piece of trivia on imdb about a scene in X2 that showed Hank McCoy's mutation flaring up, delivering him into his current "furry" form (this scene was cut, for whatever reason). In X3, he's apparently been a mutant for quite a while. Both versions are different from the comics, where Hank was a scientist that, while born with the undeniably impressive mutant power of having larger-than-average hands and feet, did not gain a blue coat of fur until he drank a genetic serum he had designed to unlock latent mutant DNA.

From what I've been told, I missed/overlooked/slept through a small detail in the final scene. Apparently the ending leaves room open for yet another movie. Unfortunately, even if that's true, not all the characters will be making a return. You'd be surprised at just how many mutants meet their untimely- and in many cases, surprising- ends (through death or other... unscrupulous means).

I was a little bit disappointed that Nightcrawler didn't make a return. The attempted assasination scene in the White House during X2 remains one of my favorite movie moments ever. From what I've heard, Alan Cumming was working on another movie during the filming and so couldn't re-join the cast. It didn't take away from the movie, but I just keep imagining the possibilities for a Nightcrawler fight with, well, anyone.

I don't really have any complaints about it, but there were some characters that seemed to be sort of tossed in there with only one purpose. Multiple Man, for example. He's got maybe three speaking lines in the whole movie, for a total of about twelve words. And he seems awfully willing to join Magneto for never learning what his plan was.

These gripes aren't substantial. It's a comic book movie; it's pointless to argue logic. What matters is this is a great film with some great characters and the best action scenes we've seen in a long, long time.

Anyway, the movie was sweet. I recommend it wholeheartedly to any sci-fi/action/comic book aficionados out there. But don't you dare leave until the credits are over.

[/url]
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 08:10:52 PM »

I thought the movie was decent enough. It wasn't the other two X-Men movies, that's for sure, but it was alright.

I agree on the lack of characterization in this film.

Code:
Scott never had much in the first two and instead of giving him some in this movie they just kill him off.

But aside from Scott, I had trouble believing they could have developed the other returning characters much more. I do think they could have fleshed out the new supporting characters though, like Archangel as mentioned above, but I won't complain much.

I could have done without the stupid one-liners from the President during some of the action scenes.

Code:
The deaths of Jean and Xavier were fantastic, IMO. But they had to undercut Xavier's with that stupid "secret" scene after the credits. I have trouble believing he could have completely removed his conscience from his old body to that other one. That and I don't see why a character just can't stay dead. I understand this is a comic book movie and comic book characters have been known to come back to life or be found alive and what not, but I think it would have been just fine if he had died.

One other note on Xavier's death: Magneto and Xavier always had a rocky relationship (to put it nicely), but they were friends and Magneto went from screaming "Charles!" one second to walking right up to Jean and being all friendly. Sure he did act affected later on but I didn't think it was enough to show how deep their friendship ran. Though I was glad at the end when he asks himself what he's done when Jean got  pissed.

I don't think another sequel is necessary. This movie tied everything together fairly well and offered resolution. I don't think it would have hurt it to have been twenty or thirty more minutes long to develop plot and characters more thoroughly, but I guess that's what happens when big wigs at the top cut a movie's production and funding by a significant amount.

So yea, good, but not as good as the previous two were.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 01:59:05 PM »

Get ready for my ranty LJ entry, mainly about how this movie had nothing to do with the X-Men!

Code:
Whoo! Let's introduce a whole bunch of mutants! Except for Gambit. And let's toss Nightcrawler. Let's give none of them any development whatsoever. Oh, and the Juggernaut's a mutant, now. And he needs momentum to bust through objects... except for when Kitty Pryde puts him in the floor. Hey, since he's a mutant now, Leech can remove his powers! Let's also totally fuck with the relative ages of the characters - I mean, honestly, Angel was one of the first X-Men introduced in the comics. Yet he's younger than the majority of the people there.

Let's also kill off some characters that didn't die in the comics. Oh, and while we're killing random characters, let's remove any chance whatsoever that we'll see Cable in a possible sequel! GREAT JOB, WRITING STAFF!

Also, wtf, now that they've killed off a bunch of the characters, there goes a chance at doing an Apocalypse cycle! Let's also not mention ever that Scott Summers has a brother that worked for Magneto! Colossus isn't Russian anymore, either. Also, fuck that Psylocke bitch, she couldn't have made an interesting story! Moreover, let's make Kitty Pryde a love interest for Iceman, not for Colossus!

The Phoenix Saga was also approximately 8 minutes long in its entirety, according to this movie.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 02:21:52 PM »

Dude, John. Every character in the X-Men comics have died at least once and come back to life. :P

By my count Jean Grey's died like five times, at least.

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 04:48:06 PM »

.... None of the movies have followed the comics exactly. You can't make a legitimate criticism by saying that.

[/url]
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 06:29:30 PM »

"I am misreading you, therefore your criticism is illegitimate."
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 06:38:53 PM »

Did you guys see the scene after the credits?

Not the Magneto one. The Moira MacTaggert one.

For those who don't want to spend ten dollars again:
Code:
Remember when Xavier was talking about putting someone's psyche into the body of a braindead man? Remember the scene itself... After the credits, you see a female doctor walk into the room of the braindead man, and he says "Moira.." and she turns to the man and says, "Charles?"

I think this was the end of the first saga, and that there will be more to come.

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 08:24:07 PM »

Quote from: "Dave"
I think this was the end of the first saga, and that there will be more to come.

Yea, like Hollywood milking a movie franchise for all its worth until it is a joke.

*Points at the Superman III-V and Batman & Robin.*

Gotta love it.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 04:44:48 AM »

Sadly, I think if there is a part 4 it will suck hard, and that will end the franchise. :(

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 03:40:32 AM »

John wins.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 12:21:15 PM »

Seriously the movie blew and they screwed up the chance of any future movie having any potential.  And yeah the age thing with Angel and Kitty Pryde that pissed me off.  And why didn't Xavier recognize Juggernaut at all.  I mean I know it follows none of the storylines, but shouldn't the history of these characters be the same.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: