Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 06:15:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319307 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New Vandal Hearts as downloadble title only :(
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New Vandal Hearts as downloadble title only :(  (Read 5586 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2009, 06:52:33 PM »

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/13/vandal-hearts-returns-on-psn-and-xbla/

Konami has announced a third installment in its Vandal Hearts strategy RPG series, which hasn't seen a new release since the days of the original PlayStation. Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment is being developed as a downloadable title for PSN and XBLA.

The game serves as a prequel to the original, with Konami promising an interface overhaul for the franchise, multiple endings and CPU-controlled party members who "adapt to the player's style of gameplay." The game will hit Xbox Live arcade in August and PlayStation Network in September.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 07:01:14 PM »

Anyone who looks at that link should easily see that the downloadable only status isn't the part to be sad about.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 07:10:20 PM »

Anyone who looks at that link should easily see that the downloadable only status isn't the part to be sad about.

I could lock this thread now, because everything that needs saying has been said.  What the fuck is that garbage?

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 07:13:20 PM »

Whoa, what's wrong with the graphics.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:24:18 PM »

Yeah, I have to agree with the consensus here and say that art style's pretty horrible.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 07:26:16 PM »

Vandal Hearts has always looked like ass.
COMPUTER CONTROLLED ALLIES WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY THINKING?!

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 07:28:55 PM »

COMPUTER CONTROLLED ALLIES WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY THINKING?!

If the difficulty's anything like the other VH games, the AI's going to be causing quite a few game over screens. 

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
FormlessHaibane
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 08:12:41 PM »

Yeah...what the hell.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 10:20:29 PM »

I think the art style is atrocious, but I was willing to give the game the benefit of the doubt because VH1 and 2 were amazing games, and in the end the only thing that matters to me is the gameplay.

Then I read the part about AI allies.  In an SRPG.  And I'm quickly losing any faith I might have had.  Please, think about what you are doing Konami.  Just make another game exactly like VH2 and everyone will be happy.  That game was amazing.

I'm waiting for more info, but I am not optimistic.
Xaevier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 10:48:04 PM »

Yeah...I can put up with a lot graphically but that is some pretty nasty looking stuff right there.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 01:54:43 AM »

Vandal Hearts games have always looked like a swamp of bad taste, but sheesh, it's not as if they can still use the PSone's hardware as an excuse! Come on... making a good Vandal Hearts game can't be that hard. Just take the gameplay from the first one, then make everything look less ugly.

AI allies never work. The ones in Final Fantasy Tactics were a reason I lost battles (AI units that need to survive should not rush the enemy head on and get killed on the counter, okay?) and Fire Emblem was the charge of the light brigade over and over again...
ShiningHero

Lawlerabs

lightbreakerec@hotmail.com Blazeddc
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 05:31:09 AM »

I'm pretty excited about this myself.  The user interface looks pretty decent while the artwork itself looks like something you would find in a western rpg (which isn't a bad thing imo). I will wait till I have a chance to play it before prejudging after looking at only two screenshots.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 06:04:29 AM by ShiningHero » Logged

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 01:07:12 PM »

Personally, I really didn't Vandal Hearts 2. The dual turn system (or whatever it was called) was a terrible idea, producing some of the most drawn-out and tedious battles in any SRPG I've played. The first game was okay though, if a little generic.
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 01:29:21 PM »

Long time lurker of the boards, so I had to chime in my 2 cents about Vandal Hearts.

VH1 is my favorite all time ps1 classic. I extremely hope Konami revisits their art direction before this is released on the PSN. I can't stand the kiddy avatar graphics. Hopeful the next batch of screens will have some redeeming quality reminiscent of the previous games in the series. So far I don't really see the resemblance to the original. I do however like the fact that they're attempting a prequel. In VH1 the game referenced the previous war Ash Lambert's father battled in frequently throughout the game.

Anyone have any guesses as to what happened to the Vandal Hearts DS title Konami promised years ago?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 01:31:57 PM by OrsonFury » Logged

Playing: FFXIII-2 (PS3) and Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS).
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 01:36:52 PM »

From GameFAQs:

Vandal Hearts is a Role-Playing game, developed and published by Konami, scheduled to be released in 2010.

Didn't they announce it somewhere in 2004? I very much doubt the game was in development for over five years.

I wouldn't be surprised if Flames of Judgment is what Vandal Hearts DS was supposed to be.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: