Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 04:07:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329864 Posts in 13521 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story  (Read 2135 times)
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2009, 04:32:09 PM »

Is it a an rpg? Well it's reviewed here and it got the second highest score, level with Zelda PH, so it's an rpg.

I bought it on launch day. I had to go to four shops before I found a copy.  Asda (walmart) Tesco (k-mart equivalent), The Game (video game store) and The Gamestation (another games store). The Gamestation had just 3 copies. None of these outlets had even one poster advertising the game, let alone any type of display.

It seems Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story has been dumped it favour of Professor Layton and Scribblenauts. Even Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days has got a lot of shelf space.

I don't know what it's like in the US but here it seems bad for Mario. Or is it that Mario and rpg's don't make a good combination?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 04:46:37 PM »

Just as a quick response: Yes, of course it's an RPG, it's even sold as Mario & Luigi RPG 3 in Japan, likely Scribblenauts and Professor Layton are just that popular and interesting right now, and if Mario and RPGs weren't a good combination they wouldn't have made 7 Mario RPGs thus far. You can further prove that with Metacritic if you need the validation, though this is considered the best of the M&L games by many.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 04:59:16 PM »

Yeah, this game is awesome.  Even Prof. Layton can't hold a candle to it, and that's saying something.  It's just a popularity thing, games like Scribblenauts and Prof. Layton more easily appeal to the coveted "casual" gamer market, so they get the attention.  Mario & Luigi is actually a pretty hardcore-focused game, despite it's "kiddy" exterior.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 09:58:02 AM »

I haven't played it, but I've heard nothing but good things. It seems to put a really good spin on the Mario RPG handheld series that has gotten a bit stale for some people.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 01:08:34 PM »

Finally starting this game up! I picked it up last week during the Toys R Us sale (and 5 other games).

Anyway, surprised to see barely any input on this game despite the great reviews. It's currently my fav RPG series nowadays...

mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 01:12:52 PM »

I always feel kinda embarassed to admit this, but I've never really played any Mario game. I messed around with Mario 64 a bit, but never got very far.

What I'm wondering is, do I have to have played one of the main series' games to enjoy a Mario RPG or are they pretty much their own thing? I like the looks of this one, and I've been looking for a new DS game.

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 03:51:09 PM »

Um...no?  You won't know who Fawful is if you didn't play Superstar Saga, but Mario games aren't really about the story.  As long as you know who Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser are you're prettymuch set.

You should play other Mario games anyway though, they're pretty much all amazingly fun.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 03:53:43 PM »

Fawful's previous appearance doesn't even seem to matter much, it's more like they used him because he was a funny, memorable villain and not because of what history he has with the first game (and to a very limited extent the second). In that regard you won't have to worry either, unless you just want to see his rise from lackey to main villain or whatever.
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 04:54:58 PM »

So, Superstar Saga is a good start, but not necessary. Is that one a GBA title? Not that it matters, I have a DS Lite. Anyway, thanks!

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 11:41:56 AM »

I always feel kinda embarassed to admit this, but I've never really played any Mario game. I messed around with Mario 64 a bit, but never got very far.

What I'm wondering is, do I have to have played one of the main series' games to enjoy a Mario RPG or are they pretty much their own thing? I like the looks of this one, and I've been looking for a new DS game.

Geez what's wrong with you girl! Go start from the NES and work your way up :P
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 12:39:40 PM »

Like I said, it's embarassing! Even my non-gamer friends have played Mario. Really, though, the first Nintendo system I owned was a GBA. It introduced me to Zelda with LttP, but I never got around to Mario. I'll hafta get started on em.

So, anyway, I didn't know there've been Mario RPGs since the SNES. That's crazy. I've ordered Superstar Saga & Inside Story from Amazon, and my friend loaned me their SNES copy of Super Mario World. I'm set! 

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 07:02:18 PM »

Super Mario Bros. 2 is my favourite.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 10:16:48 PM »

SMW was my favorite but I also have soft spots for B3, W2, L2, and G1.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: