Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 07:34:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334756 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Magna Carta 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Magna Carta 2  (Read 19301 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 04:24:18 PM »

With all the talk about Magna Carta, I decided to revisit it for the heck of it.  The voice acting in that game is atrocious.  Everyone kept putting the wrong emphases on the wrong words and syllables.  And Atlus usually puts above average voice acting in its games. 

But that's not a fault of the developers, but rather the localization team. 

Magna Carta with more streamlined gameplay would be a winner for me.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
seaechiowai
Soldier Nerd

Long live gaming.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 05:39:46 PM »

I also blame the localization team. The game was translated for U.S. consumers from the Japanese port, meaning the game was translated twice. The end result is just wtf. "Raiden"??! Yeah that's not a Korean word nor is it in English. There were some localization decisions that were just out there. Fans called the game crimson stigmata. Makes much more sense and it has closer meaning to the original title(literally translated "Deep Red Soul Track). Where did they exactly come up with tears of blood?
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 05:48:44 PM »

I'm usually not picky, but well, let's hope the main character won't be a travesty this time. I really couldn't play Magna Carta because of this.

That guy was a total douche bag, which is kind of tragic because he's the only VA in the lot who wasn't mediocre or worse.  The big plot twist in the game in particular made me pretty mad.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 12:20:12 AM »

The main character has lost his memory! Now that's something I've never seen.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 04:36:10 PM »

http://rpgfan.com/news/2009/181.html

This game is officially screwed.  Although I suppose Namco Bandai Games America could deliver a decent localization for once.

magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 04:45:58 PM »

I don't see any problems with Namco-Bandai's localization in Tales of Vesperia.  Certainly nothing on the scale of NISA's recent failures.

I'm glad to see Magna Carta 2 is being brought stateside.  Its predecessor had a unique flavor I really enjoyed, particularly in the art.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 04:49:41 PM by magusgs » Logged

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 04:56:54 PM »

Yeah, after Tales of Vesperia I'm pretty comfortable with Namco-Bandai bringing this over. I might have to track down the first one again just to try it out.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 08:29:27 PM »

I haven't played ToV yet.  Their localizations of the Legend of Heroes games were nearly as epic failure as NISA levels though.

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 10:23:21 PM »

Magna Carta 2, huh? Yeah, I've heard about that before...

Magna Carta: Tears of Blood had pretty graphics, solid music, and a solid storyline.  Where it really fell short was in the gameplay; too many confusing systems, a clunky interface, and horrendous camera.  Some of the load times were a bit long as well.
YES. Everything about I liked, except for the actual gameplay. Yes, I Gamesharked it...

Between the Chi system, the talisman system, the leadership system, and trying to keep track of all that while timing button presses to kill enemies = too many ingredients ruining an otherwise good, simple dish.
Where it gets sticky is when you Leadership gauge runs dries. You need Leadership in order to execute any command, but when your enemy beats you down, they drain your Leadership, which makes it further impossible to attack. Also, you have to stay still to recharge Leadership. If you're cavorting around the battlefield trying to avoid an enemy, you can't recharge.
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2009, 03:46:11 PM »

Where it gets sticky is when you Leadership gauge runs dries. You need Leadership in order to execute any command, but when your enemy beats you down, they drain your Leadership, which makes it further impossible to attack. Also, you have to stay still to recharge Leadership. If you're cavorting around the battlefield trying to avoid an enemy, you can't recharge.

Admittedly it's been years since I've played the game, but...

From what I remember, the leadership gauge was a simple translation of the ATB gauge to a mobile battlefield (with each character's gauge merged into a master gauge).  The game was essentially turn-based, not action-based; while positioning was important, you weren't supposed to be evading enemies by dodging and moving around, which is why the designers specifically didn't let it charge when you're moving.  The only reason to run around and dodge was if an enemy got on someone with poor defense--but that could be mostly avoided by having your highest defense char charge forward at the start of battle.

I didn't have any problem with Magna Carta's gameplay really.  The Chi system kept you from endlessly spamming the same moves, I didn't really mess with talisman synthesis much (and only used them in difficult boss battles, usually optional ones or story battles you didn't have to win), the leadership system worked fine for me, and the timed button presses helped engage me in the battles and inject a little challenge and unpredictability into the battle system (should I heal often and early in case I fuck up, or keep attacking while hoping for a perfect heal once I'm at critical HP, allowing me to end the battle quicker?).

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2009, 06:06:44 PM »

I didn't have any problem with Magna Carta's gameplay really.  The Chi system kept you from endlessly spamming the same moves, I didn't really mess with talisman synthesis much (and only used them in difficult boss battles, usually optional ones or story battles you didn't have to win), the leadership system worked fine for me, and the timed button presses helped engage me in the battles and inject a little challenge and unpredictability into the battle system (should I heal often and early in case I fuck up, or keep attacking while hoping for a perfect heal once I'm at critical HP, allowing me to end the battle quicker?).
Definitely like timed button presses, but having to heal mid-battle was bullocks, especially when an enemy outright negates the healing your just did; best to just kill them off as fast as you can, rather than focusing on defense or support. I NEVER used Eonis; her attacks, between the range restrictions, and whatever else, made her impossible for me to use.

I wonder how plentiful a release Magna Carta 2 will be? I mean, I don't even have a 360 yet, but if I want the game, am I going to have to get it when it first comes out in order to score a copy at all?
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2009, 06:34:07 PM »

[I wonder how plentiful a release Magna Carta 2 will be? I mean, I don't even have a 360 yet, but if I want the game, am I going to have to get it when it first comes out in order to score a copy at all?

This isn't an Atlus release so you should be OK waiting the usual video game lifespan.

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2009, 08:47:56 PM »

I thought I posted in this thread, but I guess I didn't.

Having played the first one for 1 hour, I can only ask they fix the battle system. The art is really nice, I mean, Look at those Glossy and Meaty Thighs. How could you pass up on those?

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2009, 10:58:40 PM »

This isn't an Atlus release so you should be OK waiting the usual video game lifespan.

Actually, MegaTen and weird cases like Steal Princess aside, I don't think you really need to worry TOO much over Atlus games, hell I just grabbed Summon Night 1 & 2 and Super Robot Taisen OG 1 & 2 for not too much from GameStop. If they become stupidly popular fast (Disgaea, Odin Sphere) they'll be reprinted and not be too hard to find. MegaTen needs mention only because that the popularity can make even games like Devil Summoner become harder to find later on when it's impractical to print more.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2009, 01:40:38 PM »

I'm usually not picky, but well, let's hope the main character won't be a travesty this time. I really couldn't play Magna Carta because of this.

That guy was a total douche bag, which is kind of tragic because he's the only VA in the lot who wasn't mediocre or worse.  The big plot twist in the game in particular made me pretty mad.
Wait, what made Calintz a "douche bag?"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: