Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 03:16:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319161 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIII Demo
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII Demo  (Read 16734 times)
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2009, 04:30:28 AM »

Just played it. It's not long and there are a lot of features that were left out (no menus for character management outside of battle for one),

But still it defied my expectations, and I'm not series fanboy; I think pretty much every Final Fantasy before XII is overrated (XII gets a lot of undeserved hate too).

The navigation and camerawork outside of battle is really good. It's dynamic and field actions are pretty fun. You talk to NPC's by approaching them now (everything is voiced) which is actually a bit annoying since you are not always sure who is talking.

Combat is really excellent. Fast-paced like Star Ocean yet still menu-driven like XII. I'm sure you've all already seen videos online, but it is even more intuitive than it seems; I was getting five star ranks on every fight in about five minutes. I like how you can chain magic and attack skills fluidly. There are many different regular attacks and the speed of the AT bar keeps you on your toes.

Thus my only concern is the difficulty. Maybe Demon's Souls has ruined me for JRPG's...

The trailer for Versus XIII made me more excited for that game than XIII though. Agito looks sweet too.

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 03:27:06 PM »

As far as the difficulty goes, it's just a demo.  There's a good chance that your stats were pumped up isn't there?  Also looked like it might have been one of the beginning areas of the game which is usually not too difficult.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 03:47:15 PM »

But still it defied my expectations, and I'm not series fanboy; I think pretty much every Final Fantasy before XII is overrated (XII gets a lot of undeserved hate too).

Pretty much every FF that has come out since VII gets equal ammount of love and hate, every next FF is either "a disgracee to the franchise" or "the best thing that could happen to it". Seriously, a bit of browsing in random internet forums and you would find plenty of this.

Bottom line: Every FF, with some exceptions, is a different game. That's what i like about the franchise, that aside from some basic elements every entry offers something different. If fanboys realized this.....pigs will fly in the sky for sure.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 05:39:49 PM by ChevalierEagle » Logged
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 05:55:53 PM »

As far as the difficulty goes, it's just a demo.  There's a good chance that your stats were pumped up isn't there?  Also looked like it might have been one of the beginning areas of the game which is usually not too difficult.

...which would make it the *exact opposite* of the last FF demo they released. Yeah, you know what I"m talking about. That FFVIII demo was absurdly hard, but when you played that sequence of the game in the full version it was super-easy, particularly because you had a chance to level and customize characters before going into it.

Goooooo DOLLET! :P

And yeah...I hate you James. I want to play FFXIII right now.

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 07:09:40 PM »

Thus my only concern is the difficulty. Maybe Demon's Souls has ruined me for JRPG's...

Just looking at the youtube one that last boss was beating the shit out of Shinjiro and Seifer's manbaby. Looked like he was really being pressured trying to get heals off fast enough.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 07:34:42 PM »

...which would make it the *exact opposite* of the last FF demo they released.

What, I don't recall the Final Fantasy XII demo being all that har-

Yeah, you know what I"m talking about. That FFVIII demo...

... Wha? It's not even XII being the only one, there was also a X demo on one of the Jampack discs.

(You are right though, the VII demo was unusually hard.)
Iron Maw

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 07:40:52 PM »

The Director confirmed in EDGE that demo intentinally made easy to to have players get use to the combat. The retail version according to him is going to be much harder because your party automantic recover HP after every battle in inexchange increased diffculty. The demo is also old code from last year and only 30% of the full Battle System is in it.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the Director also said that you will able to control the entre party in the reatil version of the game.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 08:02:54 PM by Iron Maw » Logged
FormlessHaibane
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 10:18:02 PM »

Even if they do up the difficultly for retail, don't expect much. FF games are mainstream games marketed to all gamers many of which will not put up with games they find too difficult to play. That being said, it would be nice if they got a clue and just had difficulty settings like almost every other game does now a days. That way gamers can just chose the difficulty that best suits their play style.
Pugz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 11:13:14 PM »

The Director confirmed in EDGE that demo intentinally made easy to to have players get use to the combat. The retail version according to him is going to be much harder because your party automantic recover HP after every battle in inexchange increased diffculty. The demo is also old code from last year and only 30% of the full Battle System is in it.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the Director also said that you will able to control the entre party in the reatil version of the game.

Oh lord that is amazing.
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 11:57:22 PM »

Even if they do up the difficultly for retail, don't expect much. FF games are mainstream games marketed to all gamers many of which will not put up with games they find too difficult to play. That being said, it would be nice if they got a clue and just had difficulty settings like almost every other game does now a days. That way gamers can just chose the difficulty that best suits their play style.

I'm sure FFXIII is going to have a few optional bosses that will be way harder than the "regular", storyline bosses. This is how most games cater to the more hardcore players nowadays.
FormlessHaibane
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 03:25:45 AM »

I'm sure FFXIII is going to have a few optional bosses that will be way harder than the "regular", storyline bosses. This is how most games cater to the more hardcore players nowadays.

No. Most games this gen allow you to chose a difficulty setting, even Persona 3 and 4 allows you to do that. The way harder optional bosses in some games are not really all that hard.
Pugz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 10:26:45 AM »

Seeing as this game seems to be a spiritual successor to VII, I hope Motomu and co implement similar optional bosses like in VII, that would be totally bad ass.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 10:30:26 AM »

You have to admit that most secret bosses in VII/VIII/IX were pretty tough.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 01:09:37 PM »

Seeing as this game seems to be a spiritual successor to VII, I hope Motomu and co implement similar optional bosses like in VII, that would be totally bad ass.

Along with this, I'm hoping for optional, "secret" characters. I think the last FF to do this was IX with Quina. Not that it'll be a game breaker or anything, just something that'd be kinda nice.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 02:39:47 PM »

Yeah, you don't see enough secret/optional stuff in games anymore. They make games more enjoyable for some reason. Hidden bosses in FF games were always fun. Remember Ozma in IX...he was an ass!  With regards to XIII, I'm sure they'll include a fair amount of "secret" stuff such as the usual "ultimate weapons", mini-games and optional bosses. I would be surprised though if there were any hidden playable characters.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: