Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 01:17:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329761 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIII Demo
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII Demo  (Read 17189 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 03:51:10 PM »

I HATE hard games, so this better not be too difficult.
Every game should have difficulty settings, so those who prefer the easy route(me) and those who prefer it hard(crazies) can both have it their way.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Pugz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 12:34:28 AM »

Even if they do up the difficultly for retail, don't expect much. FF games are mainstream games marketed to all gamers many of which will not put up with games they find too difficult to play. That being said, it would be nice if they got a clue and just had difficulty settings like almost every other game does now a days. That way gamers can just chose the difficulty that best suits their play style.

I'm sure FFXIII is going to have a few optional bosses that will be way harder than the "regular", storyline bosses. This is how most games cater to the more hardcore players nowadays.

Seeing as this game seems to be a spiritual successor to VII, I hope Motomu and co implement similar optional bosses like in VII, that would be totally bad ass.

Along with this, I'm hoping for optional, "secret" characters. I think the last FF to do this was IX with Quina. Not that it'll be a game breaker or anything, just something that'd be kinda nice.

Hell yes! I totally forgot about the older FF secret characters, that is seriously brilliant. These kind of concepts make side-quests and exploration less of a chore, and I feel this is something sorely missed in the latter FF games.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 01:00:57 AM »

I do hope it won't be much like FFXII.

I'm sorry but I hated FFXII, it didn't feel like a Final Fantasy to me, more of an offline MMORPG. :P

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

FormlessHaibane
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 10:54:20 PM »

it didn't feel like a Final Fantasy to me, more of an offline MMORPG. :P

See, this is what I'm talking about. It's the same type of retarded statement people made about FFX not feeling like a Final Fantasy because it didn't have a overview of the world map.

FFXII is an ATB system, which is the same damn system FFIV - IX had. It's the same thing people. Oh noes! I fights monsters on teh map instead of going to a new screen just like FFXI! Oh noes! I have teh gambit system and am too damn dumb to figure out how to control my party without it, that makes it an offline FFXI!

It plays nothing like an MMO, online or offline. Trust me, I've wasted enough of my life on UO, EQ, EQ2, WoW and FFXI to know this. I could write a fucking book on how FFXII does not play like a MMO.

The only thing even close to an MMO would be that monsters drop their body parts to sell instead of just money and the stupid random item drops form chests, both of which were in RPGs long before UO.

It was the chest drops the propagandized FFXII as a offline MMO, which than allowed all the other sheep bhaaing the same crap out.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 04:25:29 AM »

See, this is what I'm talking about. It's the same type of retarded statement people made about FFX not feeling like a Final Fantasy because it didn't have a overview of the world map.

FFXII is an ATB system, which is the same damn system FFIV - IX had. It's the same thing people. Oh noes! I fights monsters on teh map instead of going to a new screen just like FFXI! Oh noes! I have teh gambit system and am too damn dumb to figure out how to control my party without it, that makes it an offline FFXI!

It plays nothing like an MMO, online or offline. Trust me, I've wasted enough of my life on UO, EQ, EQ2, WoW and FFXI to know this. I could write a fucking book on how FFXII does not play like a MMO.

The only thing even close to an MMO would be that monsters drop their body parts to sell instead of just money and the stupid random item drops form chests, both of which were in RPGs long before UO.

It was the chest drops the propagandized FFXII as a offline MMO, which than allowed all the other sheep bhaaing the same crap out.

Thanks for that.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 05:29:13 AM »

Personally, that's just how I saw it. I'm not stating it's an offline MMORPG. I tried to give it a chance but I couldn't stand it. Sorry I'm not a big fan of FFXII. :P

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

eXaX

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 05:33:34 AM »

I read somewhere that FFXII was tailored after FFXI which obviously is an mmo, so that's something.
For someone who has played_alot_of mmo's it's weird that you can't see teh similarities. Oh and the battle-system doesn't create a mmo, it's the way the game is built up and created, the "feel" of it if you will. But you know, you're the pro so whatever.

To reply to the thread:

The game looks to be awesome. I like the futuristic setting (but the names are a bit ... weird. Lightning?). Sadly, it won't be released for atleast a year..

FormlessHaibane
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 07:11:13 AM »

I read somewhere that FFXII was tailored after FFXI which obviously is an mmo, so that's something.
For someone who has played_alot_of mmo's it's weird that you can't see teh similarities. Oh and the battle-system doesn't create a mmo, it's the way the game is built up and created, the "feel" of it if you will. But you know, you're the pro so whatever.

When was the last time you grouped up with 6 real people to go level up your character at a dungeon in FFXII? When was the last time you gather up 24 or more of your fellow guildies and wasted 3 or more hours killing named monsters in hopes of a shot at uber loot in FXII. When was the last time you chose to work on your trade skilling instead of doing any of the above in FFXII? When was the last time you put uber item up for sell on broker/auction house for lots of plats/gills/whatever in FFXII? When was the last time you heard some one shout in general chat "pls monies for gear pls. pls don't ha8t me for beeings poors. :*(" in FXII? Do I really need to go on?

FXII plays and feels nothing like a MMO.

Oh and the battle-system is the core in which most MMOs are built around usually based off of PvE or PvP only to get fucked up once the devs start trying to balance it for one or the other.
eXaX

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 08:03:11 AM »

When was the last time you grouped up with 6 real people to go level up your character at a dungeon in FFXII? When was the last time you gather up 24 or more of your fellow guildies and wasted 3 or more hours killing named monsters in hopes of a shot at uber loot in FXII. When was the last time you chose to work on your trade skilling instead of doing any of the above in FFXII? When was the last time you put uber item up for sell on broker/auction house for lots of plats/gills/whatever in FFXII? When was the last time you heard some one shout in general chat "pls monies for gear pls. pls don't ha8t me for beeings poors. :*(" in FXII? Do I really need to go on?

FXII plays and feels nothing like a MMO.

Oh and the battle-system is the core in which most MMOs are built around usually based off of PvE or PvP only to get fucked up once the devs start trying to balance it for one or the other.
You don't seem to understand the concept of "offline" mmo since all of your examples involve other gamers (real people).
Why would you have a player-controlled auction house in a game filled with NPCs or bots? Why would you hear bots for that matter yell for newbish help? It doesn't make any sense.

Just the very fact that the gamer can choose a bunch of different (and optional) hunts from that Guild in FFXII to take down and kill (and in the process grinding other lowered level monsters for a)money b) levels c) license points for skills/mist abilities d) loot) for no real reason aside from those aforementioned things directly points to the concept of an mmo especially when you consider how long it takes (on the harder ones at least). It's the same basic structure. And if you feel that those were simply side-quests then they were really_really_poorly done.

Obviously you don't agree with me and that's fine. But it still doesn't change the fact that some people (myself included) felt as if FFXII was nothing more then a "offline" mmo.
You still got me on the battle-system (also you have to admit that balancing a mmo is practically impossible=|)

/Massive Derailment.inc. Also my last post on this argument/

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 04:21:17 PM »

So... we're debating on whether Final Fantasy XII is an offline massive multiplayer online role playing game?

While we're at it, where can I order some raw sushi, cooked thoroughly?
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 04:45:55 PM »

If I woke up in the morning and realized that I was FFXII, I'd slit my throat.

JP
FormlessHaibane
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 06:48:12 PM »

You don't seem to understand the concept of "offline" mmo since all of your examples involve other gamers (real people).
Why would you have a player-controlled auction house in a game filled with NPCs or bots? Why would you hear bots for that matter yell for newbish help? It doesn't make any sense.

And you don't seem to understand the difference between a MMO and every offline game ever created. MMO = massively multiplayer online. That's the only real difference between a MMO and any offline game. Most game play found in MMOs are based off of offline games. The difference is that MMOs is structured around a massive online community where as offline games are structured around a single player.

Take WoW off line. Restructure the dungeons for a single player, add some puzzles and items used to solve said puzzles and you've got a Zelda clone.

Your concept of offline MMO can be applied to every single offline game ever made because most every game play element found in a MMO has been taken form non MMO games only to be restructured for multiplayer gaming.

Just the very fact that the gamer can choose a bunch of different (and optional) hunts from that Guild in FFXII to take down and kill (and in the process grinding other lowered level monsters for a)money b) levels c) license points for skills/mist abilities d) loot) for no real reason aside from those aforementioned things directly points to the concept of an mmo especially when you consider how long it takes (on the harder ones at least). It's the same basic structure. And if you feel that those were simply side-quests then they were really_really_poorly done.

Your missing the fact that this system has existed in other games, many of which were out before there were MUDs. This sort of system was huge in old school games where side mission really were not tied into the main story or any of the characters. It was just an extra way to improve your character without having to grind in a dungeon for hours. It may have been lame to you, but I enjoyed the fact that there were several different kinds of special monsters terrorizing people, it leads back to many fantasy novels I enjoyed as a kid.

An example would be FFIX Chocobo Hot and Cold. A side game used to get Items/Gil/whatever that was not available through normal play of the main story which had nothing to do with the games story/characters. I hated Chocobo Hot and Cold just like you hate  FFXIIs guild monster hunting side stuff.

Obviously you don't agree with me and that's fine. But it still doesn't change the fact that some people (myself included) felt as if FFXII was nothing more then a "offline" mmo.
You still got me on the battle-system (also you have to admit that balancing a mmo is practically impossible=|)

/Massive Derailment.inc. Also my last post on this argument/

My whole point is that calling a certain game an offline MMO is retarded, because every game that's not online is going to be a offline MMO.

FFXII is used as an example because that's the game which is targeted the most, and it's targeted mostly by people who have no idea what they are talking about (I'm not including you in that last part because you at least are able to think out reasons why).
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 07:09:02 PM »

If I woke up in the morning and realized that I was FFXII, I'd slit my throat.

JP

I don't know exactly know what you were going for here, but the way I interpreted it is making me laugh my head off right now. :)

bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 11:53:36 PM »

Ok, back on topic.

From what I've read in interviews, FF13 will allow you to control one character at a time but you can switch between characters as you want. That tends to be how Action RPGs like Rogue Galaxy work. In fact, FF13 looks like an action rpg that just uses menus to allow you to quickly switch up combos. I rather like it a lot.

Not to mention the music is fantasic.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 12:11:06 AM »

Ok, back on topic.

From what I've read in interviews, FF13 will allow you to control one character at a time but you can switch between characters as you want. That tends to be how Action RPGs like Rogue Galaxy work. In fact, FF13 looks like an action rpg that just uses menus to allow you to quickly switch up combos. I rather like it a lot.

Not to mention the music is fantasic.

From the music I have heard, it really is great. I only hope that the speed of all the characters remain the same as you shuffle through them. I haven't played much new games lately, but I remember hating switching between characters years ago because one character was ridiculous fast and one was slow as molasses. FFXII did a "good" job with the speed, but I still didn't like the automated gameplay. :-p

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: