Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 11:04:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334691 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure  (Read 3084 times)
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2009, 05:03:49 PM »

Is Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure as good as Patrick says it is?   8-)   

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 05:24:26 PM »

I played the Playstation version of Rhapsody and personally, I didn't like it.  Pat can tell you that our fight regarding that game was knock down, drag out, bloodier than Fist of the North star. 

Bottom line, rent it first. 

Here's what I said about it in our fight:

It's a cute and charming title (although way too saccharine for my tastes), but not as good as Pat makes it out to be.  The dungeon design was atrocious; they were often super short and super linear, were boring and monotonous to look at, they were repetitive, and just really poor dungeons.  Basically, everything the editor reviews of the PSX version said about the dungeons, I agree with.  Plus, for a game that's like a musical, I thought the vocal numbers, and music in general, were not very good.  The English vocals were ear-bleedingly bad and the Japanese vocal songs were not much better.  (Thankfully there are no English vocals in the DS port.) 

I will say though that streamlining the battle system was a smart move.  The SRPG movement in the PSX game was a needless addition.  And it only being 10 hours long doesn't hurt it as a handheld.  A 10 hour handheld RPG is acceptable and solid.  10 hour big console RPG not so much.

Don't get me wrong, Rhapsody's not a bad game but in my mind it's a mediocre at best RPG.  It doesn't excel in any one area.  Story flips the script with the princess saving the prince, but it's pretty ho-hum.  Gameplay was weak, especially the lousy dungeon design.  Graphics were nice, but nothing to blow me away.  And, for a musical RPG, the music was nothing to write home about. 

If I were reviewing the game, it'd get a score in the 70s.  So I guess it's a matter of taste. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 05:27:23 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 05:38:37 PM »

What about the DS version? That one has a different battle system.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 05:42:03 PM »

Like I said, the streamlining of the battle system from a pointless SRPG one to a pure turn-based one was a good change.  Enough for me to change my overall opinion of the game?  Nope.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »

Is Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure as good as Patrick says it is?   8-)   

I would say yes...but then again, I'm Patrick. :)

If you've never experienced Rhapsody, I think you need to. It's coming from the creators of Disgaea, but it's a simple, fairy-tale-style turn-based RPG that you will not soon forget. It was short, oldschool, and perfect in nearly every way.

(except for the whole, "we cut the post-endgame content from the American version." NIS America needs a slap in the face for that).

Ramza

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 07:08:50 PM »

Rhapsody is basically Disney Princess, Japanese RPG style.  My 8 year old daughter really liked it, but I can't recommend it to anyone who is not a small girl.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 07:14:35 PM »

Rhapsody is basically Disney Princess, Japanese RPG style.  My 8 year old daughter really liked it, but I can't recommend it to anyone who is not a small girl.

take note: I am a small girl. :)

Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 07:16:43 PM »

I have the PSX version and didn't care for it. I played on normal difficulty and it was way too easy... if I remember right you could just use magic and wipe most all enemies out. I remember the dungeons looking so similar it was hard to navigate. And... Pancake magic???
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 09:58:52 PM »

It's a decent game.  It's got its charm and I loveddddd the banter between Cornet and Kururu.  When I first started to the play the DS version, I LOVED it, but then the novelty wore off very quickly.  There isn't much variety in the game at all (dungeons practically all look the same and have the same set up) and as said it's very linear.  It doesn't take too long to complete though, so if you have a way of renting it, I'd definitely try that out.  Although, it hasn't been too expensive lately, so just depends.  It's fun crushing enemies with pancakes and the story has enough humor to get you through, just depends if it's your cup of tea or not.

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 01:57:33 AM »

I loved the PSone version. Gameplay was far from solid with the slow battle system and the badly designed dungeons, but I loved the presentation. The game is at it's best when characters are interacting.

And... Pancake magic???

There is nothing wrong with pancake magic.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 04:31:00 AM »

bloodier than Fist of the North star.

I call bullshit.

Anyway.

If you're just looking for some sort of fairy-tale-ish RPG, I can think of a few recommendations. Like, plugging Quest for Glory 2 VGA because it's that kind of week and it's freeware. There's also legend of mana, which i loved, and Odin Sphere, which I didn't like. legend of mana also fulfills the music requirement sense all of your magic are flutes except the drums

Specifically musically themed stuffed is harder to find. Although to that extent that extent Tales of the Abyss and Ar Tornelico (apparently?) might work.

Or if you're just looking for cute happy games for LEETLE GURELS then you could try Riviera. It's full of LEETLE GURELS and they interact and I think you can like date them or something. I don't know. I never got very far in it because I don't have a reasonable adult attention span.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 06:22:35 AM »

Riviera is about a guy surrounded by four girls who all love him dearly. Total harem setup. And everything looks adorable and it's a fun little RPG, so girls like it too :D

If you want something happy where you can use pastries and other sweetness in battle, the Atelier Iris games are a good choice. Mana Khemia works too. Or, if you want it a bit less sweet (but still cavity inducing), how about half of the Lunar games?
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 10:25:20 AM »

I liked it, personally, (The PSOne version, I didn't even know other versions existed, because I soon ceased to care :P) for the fact it wasn't trying too hard, with the story and the characters, and that's what made me like them.

I will say that I absolutely hated the dungeons though, and that alone almost killed the game for me.
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 10:58:29 AM »

I have a copy of this for the PS1 sitting around as a result of my NIS' fanboy collector status (it'll probably be the reason I buy PB for the Wii, too). Haven't played it yet. Makes me sad that the other Marl Kingdom games never got a release here, though.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 12:56:15 AM »

I played the PS version and stopped midway(?). It was kinda too easy for me (or maybe because I did it on easy mode haha) and the dungeons became repetitive. What I found cute in the game was the singing and stuff (well from the title Rhapsody, it must have to do something with music).

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: