Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 04:47:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340968 Posts in 13937 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  POLL: Fable 2 or Mass Effect
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: POLL: Fable 2 or Mass Effect  (Read 9447 times)
flashrom

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2009, 01:42:41 PM »

One of these two games is going to be my next one I play.  I prefer story based RPG's over battle based.  Which is better and why?
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 01:59:45 PM »

Mass Effect. It's story is amazing. Fable II has a mediocre story, it's more about the experience as a whole. Mass Effect also has a much better combat system. Unless you just hate third person shooters, then Fable II will be better in that category for you, buts its just a hack n slash game basically. Plus Mass Effect is likely to be 40 bucks cheaper. For 20 bucks Mass Effect is a steal.

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 02:12:38 PM »

Mass Effect. It's story is amazing. Fable II has a mediocre story, it's more about the experience as a whole. Mass Effect also has a much better combat system. Unless you just hate third person shooters, then Fable II will be better in that category for you, buts its just a hack n slash game basically. Plus Mass Effect is likely to be 40 bucks cheaper. For 20 bucks Mass Effect is a steal.

Even though I love Fable 2 to death, I have to agree. Both games succeed at immersion, but I think ME has an overall better world and mythology to go along with it.  Plus Mass Effect is longer and is almost consistently challenging throughout.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 02:14:30 PM »

Mass Effect. The sequel will be out in about a year ideally, and even if it's delayed ME's has had a price drop and is bundled with junk. Fable 2 still goes for full price for the most part.
FormlessHaibane
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 02:50:10 PM »

Mass Effect, for all the reasons already stated.

I hated Fable 2, it's a prime example of devs who dream big but fail to deliver. Still, most of my friends who enjoyed the game will admit it's still not worth it's current price tag.
flashrom

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 03:28:34 PM »

What about Mass Effect's combat system?  Do you gain experience and level up?  I'm really bad at first person shooters.  Is there a lock on feature or something similar?
Tsi Aileron

113308759 TsiAileron@hotmail.com Tsi+Aileron TsiAileron
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 03:32:40 PM »

Another vote for Mass Effect.

Yes, you create your character, choose a class, gain levels, and assign skill points. :)

And in the options you can turn on auto aim (or something to that affect) if you fail at aiming with a controller like I do.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 03:43:34 PM »

ME is not a 1st person shooter. It's 3rd person. I enjoyed it tremendously, despite a few flaws. I'm not so sure about the story being "amazing" but the characters are certainly interesting.
I have yet to play Fable II, but I definitely want to. I just don't want to pay $60 for it.
This poll is lopsided.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 03:55:02 PM »

What about Mass Effect's combat system?  Do you gain experience and level up?  I'm really bad at first person shooters.  Is there a lock on feature or something similar?

Yes you gain experience and level up. There is a lock-on feature if you want to turn it on, but like other people said it is a third person shooter (and a really fun one).

This poll is lopsided.

And for good reason.

FormlessHaibane
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 03:55:46 PM »

Mass Effect is a action RPG that looks like it's a 3rd person shooter, but it plays more like a action RPG really. It's really not an issue hitting targets in Mass Effect, the cross hair is nice and big and like all RPGs it about how much damage you do to take down your enemies HPs, not head shots. You can also change the difficultly setting at any time, so if you need to put it to easy for a bit to get use to the game play you can.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 04:22:53 PM »

From everything I've heard about both, I'd choose Mass Effect.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
flashrom

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 04:29:43 PM »

The money isn't an issue.  I'll pay for good games.  I guess the poll should've been Mass Effect vs. Mass Effect.  I'm astonished that nobody has voted for Fable 2.  I guess it's pretty obvious what my next game will be.  I appreciate everyone's feedback.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 04:36:27 PM »

I admittedly haven't played Fable 2, but I wasn't all that impressed with 1 while Mass Effect was amazing. Even if money weren't an issue I'd still vote Mass Effect, but when factoring it in it's just the smartest choice.
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 06:48:04 PM »

I would give the edge to Fable 2, but only barely. I liked the open world feel of it, even if the implementation was not totally mind-blowing.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 07:33:03 PM »

Mass Effect = Modern Knights of the Old Republic minus the Jedi stuff.

From what I've heard Fable is basically Fantasy The Sims + Action/RPG Lite.  If that appeals to you, go for it, but personally, Mass Effect appeals to me much more.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: