Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 06:11:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329967 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  POLL: Fable 2 or Mass Effect
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: POLL: Fable 2 or Mass Effect  (Read 9203 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 08:56:45 PM »

Mass Effect. Fuck Fable 2.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 09:00:32 PM »

Mass Effect is the best current gen RPG.  The level of detail put into the game's world is ridiculous, if you're into sci-fi stuff.  The voice work is fantastic, and compliments the outstanding dialogue.  You won't find any corny JRPG teamwork high-fives that emit stars and rainbows in this game.

If you have a hard drive, it is highly recommended to install the game.  Most of the game's largest faults are alleviated if you do this.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 09:27:51 PM »

I actually won a copy of Mass Effect from a podcast contest, and I'm keeping it, even though I don't have a 360 yet, because I want to play it and it's good incentive for me to finally buy a 360.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 09:30:15 PM »

Fable II, all the way. It doesn't have the thousands of layers of Mass Effect, but it's simply more fun. Monty Python-esque humor, blazingly vivid colorful graphics,  you always know what to do next (whihc is always a plus for me). I could go on and on. Sometimes, just sometimes, simpler is just more fun.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:55:13 PM by Buddy » Logged
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 09:56:27 PM »

Fable II, all the way. It doesn't have the thousands of layers of Mass Effect, but it's simply more fun.

I disagree completely. I found Mass Effect more fun in nearly every way.

Xenma Akimaru
I AM UNMARKED

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 11:41:13 PM »

I say mas effect cause theres way more content available for it better story graphics gameplay you name it though this is only a opinion play whichever you injoy most ^__^

RPG'S FTW (ForTheWin)
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 11:56:55 PM »

In Fable 2's defense, it's a very charming game. It's quite humorous, never takes itself too seriously, and easy to lose yourself in. I had a lot of fun with it and definitely don't regret buying it.  Not to say that Mass Effect doesn't have all these same qualities, but just because Mass Effect is a better game in comparison, doesn't make Fable 2 a bad game. Not that I'm accusing anyone of saying this of course. :P
Xenma Akimaru
I AM UNMARKED

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 03:04:13 AM »

Fable2 is a great game i own it and have beaten it even the DLC for it I just like Mass Effect more especially the fact that the main character speaks silent Heros get on my nerves sometimes -__-

RPG'S FTW (ForTheWin)
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 08:57:25 AM »

Fable II, all the way. It doesn't have the thousands of layers of Mass Effect, but it's simply more fun.

I disagree completely. I found Mass Effect more fun in nearly every way.

That's cool. But can't you at least agree Fable II's world is a breath of fresh air for modern gaming? I mean, I played through and liked Mass Effect and all, but that type of setting, and that more realistic looking Sci-Fi/shooter style of gameplay has been extremely overplayed ever since the last generation of games/consoles.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2009, 09:03:49 AM »

That's cool. But can't you at least agree Fable II's world is a breath of fresh air for modern gaming? I mean, I played through and liked Mass Effect and all, but that type of setting, and that more realistic looking Sci-Fi/shooter style of gameplay has been extremely overplayed ever since the last generation of games/consoles.

It isn't in RPGs, in fact sci-fi RPGs are far and few between.
flashrom

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 11:55:52 AM »

How many hours would everyone estimate the game would be including all sides quests and DLC's?
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 12:34:49 PM »

Ok, this Mass Effect love fest needs to be grounded a bit. Can't have the dude thinking he's getting the second coming of gaming or something.

The game actually gets quite monotonous if you choose to visit all the planets/galaxies/whatever for the side missions and "treasure" hunting. Hell, they all look basically the same and have strikingly similar missions.

The story is just OK. The characters definitely make up for this, though. The main antagonist sucks, IMHO.
Then you have the typical western rpg lack of music. Granted, there are a few decent tunes, but its mostly environmental stuff.
I would have liked a mix of gun/melee combat. I got kind of tired of shooting after awhile. Speaking of shooting I rarely changed my gun. There was no point. Hopefully, ME2 mixes in some different types of weapons that are useful as well.

NOW, I purposefully sat down and thought about the games flaws. In no way does any of the above negate the fact that ME is a great game. I just wanted to add a little balance to the love fest.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2009, 01:16:03 PM »

How many hours would everyone estimate the game would be including all sides quests and DLC's?

My last save is at 40 hours but I'm normally fairly slow at getting through games.

Grim: You know you can choose other character classes, right? Playing as the default Soldier class is probably the least interesting option, there's a lot more variety to the gameplay if you choose one of the other classes, especially those that use biotics.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2009, 01:30:32 PM »

I played ME for about half an hour before deciding it probably wasn't for me.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
FormlessHaibane
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2009, 04:40:06 PM »

Ok, this Mass Effect love fest needs to be grounded a bit. Can't have the dude thinking he's getting the second coming of gaming or something.

While it isn't the second coming of gaming (no game is), it is one of the best current gen RPGs you're going to find at this time.

The game actually gets quite monotonous if you choose to visit all the planets/galaxies/whatever for the side missions and "treasure" hunting. Hell, they all look basically the same and have strikingly similar missions.

I agree, but than most RPG side missions are monotonous as they usually involve backtracking.

The story is just OK. The characters definitely make up for this, though. The main antagonist sucks, IMHO.
Then you have the typical western rpg lack of music. Granted, there are a few decent tunes, but its mostly environmental stuff.
I would have liked a mix of gun/melee combat. I got kind of tired of shooting after awhile. Speaking of shooting I rarely changed my gun. There was no point. Hopefully, ME2 mixes in some different types of weapons that are useful as well.

No. Fable 2s story is just OK, MEs story is pretty damn good, especially if you like space opera. I don't know what you're talking about with the music. ME has music in almost every area. Granted a lot of the planets have the same track and a lot of it is mixed lower than the environment sounds but it's there and you'll notice it if you have 5.1 surround sound. As a Sound Engineer the one thing that does drive me up the wall is the overall sound/music mix, but I think it's mostly something that only sound people will get annoyed with.

NOW, I purposefully sat down and thought about the games flaws. In no way does any of the above negate the fact that ME is a great game. I just wanted to add a little balance to the love fest.

You missed one of the more important game flaws I think the TC should be aware of and that's the Mako. The Mako is just one of those things that people either like or hate. It was a great idea that wasn't implemented very well. Even after getting use to the controls I still prefer to get out if to kill things, you get better exp too.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: