Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 12:03:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334694 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Your Favorite RPGs and Why
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Your Favorite RPGs and Why  (Read 27213 times)
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2009, 03:53:30 AM »

I'll add some more later, here are my first 5 :P Just try not to bash other people's favorite RPGs haha

Suikoden 2:
Simple game play, able to collect multiple characters, semi-customizable characters, the awesome piano intro song, story about two great friends (SPOILER: and one of the friends was a traitor and both lead opposing forces), and the game feel (traditional-like).

Earthbound:
Cute gameplay, simple story but strangely enticing, very original (kids fighting aliens in a modern world using bats and frying pans and shopping for equipment and stuff at malls), and funny.

Persona 4:
One of the best storylines that I've heard, great characters and all of them had depth, unique gameplay, J-pop like soundtrack and they were really catchy, hilarious, and tackled multiple personal teenage issues.

Chrono Trigger:
Originality, the gameplay and ability to combine certain techniques with other people's techniques, soundtrack, the story about time traveling and ability to change events in the past.

FFX:
Game feel and the environments and places of the game(Besaid Island), story, super cool aeons, music which range from relaxing to emotional, and the unique gameplay and sphere grid.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 03:59:56 AM »

I'll add some more later, here are my first 5 :P Just try not to bash other people's favorite RPGs haha

Suikoden 2:
Simple game play, able to collect multiple characters, semi-customizable characters, the awesome piano intro song, story about two great friends (SPOILER: look at me I'm hiding), and the game feel (traditional-like).

While the idea of blending the color in for spoilers is great, the color scheme for the boards keeps that from actually working. Try using [ Code] [ /Code] (without spaces) next time, or the # button.

I'll think about this later, some of my favorites are Suikoden 2, Dragon Quest VIII, and Vagrant Story, but I don't feel like explaining why right now and I think I need to replay SuikII sometime soon.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 04:02:08 AM »

Vagrant Story
A good story, well written characters, addictive gameplay, incredible soundtrack, detailed scenarios and the list goes on and on.

Final Fantasy VI
A unique set of characters, good gameplay, fantastic soundtrack and plenty of memorable moments.

Skies of Arcadia
Characters you can't help but to like, fun gameplay, rich and detailed world to explore.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 10:02:49 AM »

I once tried ranking all my completed RPGs/graphics adventures into a favorites list, but man it was hard.  I've beaten over 100 and counting those I've not beaten, it's likely closer to 150. 

My favorite video game is Ever17: The Out of Infinity.  It's a visual novel that I adored because the story and characters were the best I'd ever encountered in a video game.  They even rivaled stuff in books.  Amazing piece of software.  It's no secret that it got an Editor's Choice review from me and was one of my top 5 for best of the PS2/GCN/Xbox generation. 

In terms of RPGs, that's always been a tough one.  When looking at a favorite I think "what game would I be completely unwilling to sell under any circumstances?"  I'd have zero qualms about selling any of my Megaten games and in fact, years ago I did just that to buy a bass amp.  And I've been a die-hard MegaTentist for over a decade. 

But there are two RPGs that I will not sell under any circumstances.  My 100% keepers are Chrono Trigger (SNES) and Anachronox (PC).  And if I had a gun to my head and had to pick just one of those two... I'd pick Anachronox.  As my sig says, "my favorite JRPG isn't Japanese" and it refers to Anachronox (a US-developed game.)  My avatar is Sly Boots from Anachronox.  Anachronox isn't the world's greatest JRPG and there are better games out there, but it has that je ne sais quois that gripped me and never let go.  I think everything about that game rocks and I am a very sad panda that there will never be a sequel. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 01:47:41 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 10:45:05 AM »

I hope I can mention action/adventure RPG's here...

The Legend Of Zelda-A Link To The Past (SNES).

When I first popped the cart in back in 1991 and saw the pieces of the triforce tumbling towards the center of the screen, I was awestruck. The jump in graphics and music on the SNES over the NES was more pronounced in my opinion than any of the later generation. I don't think I had one complaint while playing through ALTTP, not one. I dreamed about the game while I was sleeping, for crying out loud. An experience I'll never forget.

Soulblazer (SNES).

Technically, this is a better game in my opinion than ALTTP, it's just it can't compete with the sentimentasl value of ALTTP. To this day I have never seen a game put together so well as Soulblazer... it was so fun and different than anything I've played before or since. Being sent into an area where nothing but ground was, and then slowly releasing people, houses, animals, etc. back into the area, and they'd help you, was SOOOO damn cool. Hell sometimes I'd seal a monter lair and release something mundane like a vine and I'd say "Oh, big whoop... a vine." Then I'd go back to the outside area and see the vine grew in such a place as to let me get access to a new area. Dark Cloud tried to capture some of Soulblazer's gameplay, but it wasn't nearly as good.

Parasite Eve (PS1).

I wish this game wold get a true sequal for the next gen systems. Loved the modern story with horror elements, loved the graphic style. Truly a unique RPG for the time.

Lunar (Sega CD).

The very first RPG I played with animation and voice acting. Loved it.

Knight Of Xentar (PC).

A Final Fantasy ripoff, but it was so goofy and funny that I couldn't help playing all the way through.

Skies OF Arcadia (Dreamcast)

Nice sense of exploration, tons of cool new ideas... the ship battles were a little TOO long, IMO, but a great game anyway.

HolyKnight
boredum invents amusement

98544544 jltidus zidane_6969
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 01:23:36 PM »

this is really hard to try and list your favorites...

Final Fantasy Tactics (psx/psp) is probably my all time favorite...the story (even on the dumbed down psx version) was amazing to me and kept me locked in even til today.

Secret of Evermore (snes) is the game that got me hooked on rpgs.  also my first rpg to ever play (at least that i remember)

hmm can't really label any others at the moment, will edit if i think of any

~Currently Playing~
Final Fantasy Tactics (psp; FINALLY beat weigraf battle at end of chapter 3), Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core (psp; almost at the end), Suikoden (psp download; just started), Star Ocean 2 (psp; just got to second planet), World of Warcraft (pc; The Forgotten Coast server, Level 73 Ret Paladin, Tormentblood
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 01:43:56 PM »

Final Fantasy X- One of my all-time favorite stories in a game and it has my favorite battle system of the main series.

Final Fantasy Tactics- My all-time favorite SRPG with a fantastic story. I still think its the game all SRPGs should be measured by.

Final Fantasy VII- I don't think I need to say anything that hasn't been said in the 10+ years it has been out.

Dragon Quest VIII- Easily my favorite old-school RPG. The voice acting, graphics, and world in general where so thought out and enjoyable that I couldn't put it down. It's the only RPG in the past 5 years that I have played more than 100 hours on my first playthrough.

Chrono Cross- Fantastic story and battle system with one of my favorite soundtracks ever. I even like it more than CT.

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 04:01:17 PM »

Final Fantasy VII: It was my first Rpg.

Chrono trigger: Time travelling magic.

Suikoden II: Most epic tale of war, friendship and betrayal ever.

Vanguard Bandits: Easy to pick up and play turn strategy rpg, also nice soundtrack.

YS The ark of naphistim: Addictive...

Star Ocean 2: Battles, Personal Actions, Goofy Sci-fi story.

Xenogears: Soyleen green is people!! er... very complex story

Wild arms 3: Dunno why... I just enjoyed it.

Lunar SSS: Classic rpg nostalgia.

Final Fantasy IX: One of the few FF that is actually fun.

Persona 3: Characters interactions and development.

GOD OF WAR: CHAOS, DEAD AND DESTRUCTION... oh wait... wrong game for the topic...

Megaman Legends I and II: The blue bomber on 3D? OMFG!!

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 04:02:48 PM »

FFVI(my first FF), VII,VIII(yes, I love it),X...I love almost every Final Fantasy. Great gameplay, story and music.
Chrono Trigger -All the reasons posted already..
ShadowRun - Both SNES and Genesis versions. I was always a fan of cyberpunk stuff and these games delivered.
Oblivion and Morrowind. Exploration is the selling point for me with these games.

I could go on but...why?

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 04:12:43 PM »

no one rpg deserves the title of best i like different rpg's for different reasons. but i typically like rpg's with hot female characters that dont play second fidle to a male lead.(ashe and raquel are good examples) also fun battle systems and screen filling special attacks are a plus. also cool settings are a must. thats probally why i didn't like DQ8.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 04:19:32 PM »

no one rpg deserves the title of best i like different rpg's for different reasons. but i typically like rpg's with hot female characters that dont play second fidle to a male lead.(ashe and raquel are good examples) also fun battle systems and screen filling special attacks are a plus. also cool settings are a must. thats probally why i didn't like DQ8.

WOW.... seeing your signature and profile image I would have never guessed it.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 04:23:47 PM »

Favorite doesn't equal best and best doesn't equal favorite.  Best fried chicken in America could come from some shack in Mississippi, but my favorite fried chicken is from a soul food kitchen in New Jersey.  If I were to look at aggregate scores of Anachronox, it's average score is in the high 70s, but it's my favorite.  Favorites are a personal thing.  

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 04:47:59 PM »

ShadowRun - Both SNES and Genesis versions. I was always a fan of cyberpunk stuff and these games delivered.

Good choice on both of these. The Shadowrun setting is so interesting and in both of these games, it is pretty well-realized. The Genesis version is truer to the rules and the setting, and a much more interesting game. But the SNES one was a cool plot and nice graphics and atmosphere. They are both worth playing.

I really like Wizardry 7. The setting is interesting, the mechanics are old school but have been smoothed out over generations of Wizardry games to make it much more comprehensible than Wizardry 1. I really like the free form nature that encourages exploration (along with numerous paths to victory), and nostalgia makes me like it more than Wizardry 8.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 05:46:21 PM »

I hope I can mention action/adventure RPG's here...

http://www2.bc.edu/%7Eguldnerb/nuke4.jpg

My favorite RPGs:

Soulblazer: I think I've said this a lot but this series really is one of my favorites. Buddy sums it up really perfectly though. The best part about the game is watching everything slowly build up and, in the process, your own abilities/weapons/stuff build up as you free the towns and restore the world. The progression of the story, the setting, and your little avatar dude are all so heavily tied together that it's almost possible to see the setting itself as the main character. It's also worth saying that this entire series tends towards really off kilter, oddly dark stories. In Soulblazer, you have memorable moments like that pet graveyard, or going into the flower's dream. The only thing I really found lacking was that the battle mechanics weren't nearly as refined as IoG's or Terranigma's (although, you could give Soulblazer points for magic being infinitely more useful than in Terranigma, I guess).

My favorite thing about RPGs is exploration, and I find that a lot of linear RPGs tend to lack in that. Soulblazer was fairly linear, but it still provided exploration, by going a completely different route. One more temporal and potential than spacial.

Ultima VII - I mention this every time one of these threads comes up. I think this is the first game I played that really felt like it had a living world (Ultima VI, of course, was the first game to actually DO that, although I started playing U6 in depth after U7). Ultima VII is worth comparing to Ultima VI. Despite not having nearly as good of a battle system -- Ultima VI's tactical combat was quite excellent, and better than anything else in the series by my reckoning, having smoothed over all the clunkiness from four and five -- Ultima VII just upped everything else. The number of NPCs was higher. Almost all of them were unique, with long and generally well written dialogues. The story was well done, smart, and oddly enough for an RPG, actually relevant in a real world context given its basis on Scientology. Of course, it wasn't just the main story that was so memorable. It was the little side-quests, like the chaste, but rather frustated, unicorn, or the thing with the bee cave. It was also the first Ultima where the characters in your party really chatted with eachother. And the level of interactivity was... well, I've never seen it rivaled, unfortunately, except in one case I'll get to later.

And Stones and the Fellowship theme are some of the greatest pieces of videogame music out there.

Earthbound - This is the rare JRPG that I play just to wander around and explore. The towns are lovely and huge, the dungeons are actually places and not just hindrances, and the aesthetics are wholly its own. It's also the only SNES RPG that I thought had some seriously damn good writing. I'm a fan of Woolsey's translations, honestly, and I think that games like Chrono Trigger definitely had pretty sleek and good writing, but they didn't have the subtle (and not-so-subtle) irony, the weird creep, and clarity that Earthbound had. I think it means a lot of things to different people, and I don't even know what it means to me, but it makes me feel something that I've never really got out of another RPG's storyline, or any game's story, really, before or since.

I also want to draw another comparison to Chrono Trigger, as I think that both EB and CT are games where the music is so inextricably tied to the mood, atmosphere, and even story of the game that they're... well, essential to it. It's not just background music but part of the games sonic geography. To me, it's like the physical space of Zeal and Twoson are defined by the music in some sort of synaesthetic... something.

Huge irony? I just listed four games where I thought the battle mechanics were rather lacking, and I tend to like games with more interesting or active battle systems. I also mentioned two games entirely for the story and writing, and I don't even play RPGs for that much anymore*. Go figz.

Other ones I feel like adding but don't feel like writing about:

Quest for Glory 2 VGA
Final Fantasy Legend 2

My favorite JRPG isn't even Japanese.

See I have the reverse problem. My favorite traditional-styled Wizardry games were the SNES version of 5 and then Forsaken Land.

* I like games with stories I can like, but I don't need a hugely deep storyline or anything. I just need something to give it context and flavor and personality.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 05:58:31 PM »

Final Fantasy Tactics (psx/psp) is probably my all time favorite...

Final Fantasy Tactics- My all-time favorite SRPG with a fantastic story. I still think its the game all SRPGs should be measured by.

How does the DS version of Final Fantasy Tactics measure up? I was about getting this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: