Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 10:38:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334708 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Epic JRPGs for PS3/360
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Epic JRPGs for PS3/360  (Read 6189 times)
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 08:24:23 PM »

Deus Ex is probably my pick for WRPG of the generation: it's like one third RPG, one third FPS, and one third Metal Gear Solid. It has a fairly japanese feel at times, even if it's Canadian.

I have to concur. Deus Ex is the first WRPG I've play this console generation that actually feels like it is competitive with the JRPGs of previous console generations, or of handhelds of this gen. It puts the other WRPGs to shame.
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2011, 11:35:57 PM »

Magna Carta 2 isn't too bad. Its not going to knock your socks off but it was a fun JRPG.

Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2011, 05:59:34 AM »

Ok, my 2 cents on the topic which is mostly a repeat of others opinions.

I have to recommend ROF, as a JRPG the story grows as you play and it does contain some wtf moments. Thoroughly enjoyable battle system which is loads of fun.

The few who have mentioned Enchanted Arms, I agree though I haven't completed it, I intend to. It's a JRPG, no doubt about that, has some good laugh's in the 1st 10 minutes.

Yakuza 3 and 4 if you have the PS3, these are both classic Sega jrpg's worth every cent.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 02:00:08 PM »

Deus Ex is probably my pick for WRPG of the generation: it's like one third RPG, one third FPS, and one third Metal Gear Solid. It has a fairly japanese feel at times, even if it's Canadian.

I have to concur. Deus Ex is the first WRPG I've play this console generation that actually feels like it is competitive with the JRPGs of previous console generations, or of handhelds of this gen. It puts the other WRPGs to shame.

I agree.  I just got done saying something similar in the Deus Ex thread.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 02:40:48 PM »

I agree.  I just got done saying something similar in the Deus Ex thread.

I guess I pretty much have to play this game then. I just wish it wasn't in first person. I'll pick it up when it eventually gets cheaper. I don't want to blow $50 on a game I'm not sure about.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 10:20:36 PM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 09:43:36 PM »

I haven't played Deus Ex yet, but I genuinely enjoyed New Vegas, despite its bugginess.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 10:30:40 PM »

I agree with people on Deus Ex. It for me together with Mass Effect 2 were the best I've seen for a long time.

PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2011, 11:01:56 PM »

I guess I pretty much have to play this game then. I just wish it wasn't in first person. I'll pick it up when it eventually gets cheaper. I don't want to blow $50 on a game I'm not sure about.

There is a lot of cover system-like stuff going on that will put you in 3rd person, but yeah, I do wish I could switch to an over-the-shoulder view at will. Also, I got a new copy for $35 off of amazon. Be on the lookout, the deals have already arrived.
bobwps3

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2011, 05:47:02 PM »

I think that if you're willing to accept games that aren't technically RPGs, then you will be satisfied, but otherwise, it will always be lacking, unless you're a big fan of Western games.

The only game that I played on home consoles that I consider to be a JRPG (well SRPG actually, but still) and is in the league of past great games is Valkyria Chronicles.  There might end up being a few more, at least on the PS3, if Xillia, Ni no Kuni or Versus 13 end up living up to the hype, but I don't think that any of those games except for Versus 13 (and that's only assuming that it will live up to the hype) will have the universal appeal that many of the top SNES/PS1/PS2 RPGs had, or that the top handheld games on the PSP or DS have currently.

Nier is definitely an epic game, well in league with past greats, although its party system is so limited that I don't really consider it to be an RPG.  It's still a must play.  It's really more of an action adventure game, although the SHMUP elements in some boss fights really won me over gameplay-wise.  The characters are extremely deep and there is tons of sarcastic and humorous commentary made by the characters often during boss fights and when you start quests.

Yakuza 3 and 4 are in a similar boat to Nier, but they are absolutely must play games in my eyes, especially if you want an immersive story and characters with high production values.  Basically they are brawler beam 'em ups (the old school kind) with RPG elements, and a lot of exploration.  I'd say that Yakuza 4 is my favorite game home console game this generation, at least so far.

I don't have an XBox 360, but I've heard from a few people that Lost Odyssey is a system seller, and very much targets the old school JRPG fan.

Also, if you have a PC, there are a number of significant visual novels made recently, some in English.  On the PS3, PSP and Wii you have 428, on the PS3 and Wii you have Imabi Kisou, although no version is in English.  On the PC, 360 and PSP you have Steins;Gate and Chaos;Head, both playable in English on the PC.  If it counts as a current generation game, there's Ever 17, on both the PC, PSP and 360, although the PC version is the only English release of the game.

As for WRPGs, I don't find them very appealing this generation for a variety of personal reasons.  Ironically I liked them a lot when they were struggling commercially in the 90's, but the current batch just doesn't appeal to me much at all.  (I don't like the character designs, storytelling styles, moral choices/decisions, or overuse of nonlinearity, although I like the 90's/00's style a lot gameplay-wise, particularly games like Planescape Torment and Might and Magic VI) But everyone's preferences in games are different.  I think the Mass Effect games are pretty good, although their gameplay doesn't appeal to me much at all.

There are a lot of good but not epic (at least story-wise) RPGs on home consoles this generation, such as Resonance of Fate, the Tales games, and a few others.

I think whether or not such an RPG will exist on home consoles, is mostly dependent on what Atlus does.  If they decide to make such a game, it will likely fit that category and outclass everything else. (at least in my opinion) The economics of Japanese games do not favor this however, so the next game from Atlus will likely be on a handheld.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 06:10:29 PM by bobwps3 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: