Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 11:16:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338023 Posts in 13840 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Your Favorite RPGs and Why
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print
Author Topic: Your Favorite RPGs and Why  (Read 27527 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2011, 01:26:01 PM »

You mean Ocarina of Time, right? Or is there some third Zelda game for the N64 I don't know about?

He may be talking about the Zelda 64 prototype that eventually became OoT.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Jedah
Golden Age Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2011, 01:52:58 PM »

You mean Ocarina of Time, right? Or is there some third Zelda game for the N64 I don't know about?

He may be talking about the Zelda 64 prototype that eventually became OoT.

Yes, sorry.  I meant Ocarina of Time.
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2011, 08:34:09 AM »

FFX is my favorite overall. I love the characters...even Tidus. I didn't mind him and there was a good story to tell with him. Loved the aeons. All the different locations you traveled to and I like how, at least to me, it felt like a merge of a fantasy style and sci-fi. All the technology. The music, man it was great. I bought that soundtrack. The only aspect I wasn't crazy about was the random encounter rate, but then again a lot of RPGs have that issue.
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2011, 09:15:58 AM »

FFX is my favorite overall. I love the characters...even Tidus. I didn't mind him and there was a good story to tell with him. Loved the aeons. All the different locations you traveled to and I like how, at least to me, it felt like a merge of a fantasy style and sci-fi. All the technology. The music, man it was great. I bought that soundtrack. The only aspect I wasn't crazy about was the random encounter rate, but then again a lot of RPGs have that issue.

I remember reading when it first came out that the encounter rate scales the further you progress. The farther you are the higher the encounter rate. While playing I didn't notice until the end where it was quite frustrating. Then I beat it, decided to start a new save and was shocked out how much nicer it was to run around Basaid than it was to run around Zanarkin. The really should have lightened up on that, yeah.
lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2011, 10:12:39 AM »

I remember reading when it first came out that the encounter rate scales the further you progress. The farther you are the higher the encounter rate. While playing I didn't notice until the end where it was quite frustrating. Then I beat it, decided to start a new save and was shocked out how much nicer it was to run around Basaid than it was to run around Zanarkin. The really should have lightened up on that, yeah.

10 years old memory can be blurry, but I think the no encounter weapon is available at/before Zanakand.  

Whenever I play a rpg with random encounters, I make sure to grab the no encounter or reduce encounter weapon/armor at the first opportunity.
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2011, 04:24:27 PM »

10 years old memory can be blurry, but I think the no encounter weapon is available at/before Zanakand.  

Whenever I play a rpg with random encounters, I make sure to grab the no encounter or reduce encounter weapon/armor at the first opportunity.

I believe you're right, the problem is that the bosses later in the game get to be quite challenging and if you use the no encounter weapon (I believe it is for Waka) you'll have to make time strictly for grinding to keep up. I'd much rather have random encounters at a more reasonable level and not need to grind than be so annoyed with the encounter rate that I use a no encounter ability and end up grinding it all in one big fat chunk later.
lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2011, 05:17:03 PM »

I believe you're right, the problem is that the bosses later in the game get to be quite challenging and if you use the no encounter weapon (I believe it is for Waka) you'll have to make time strictly for grinding to keep up. I'd much rather have random encounters at a more reasonable level and not need to grind than be so annoyed with the encounter rate that I use a no encounter ability and end up grinding it all in one big fat chunk later.

Yeah sure I agree with you.  The thread some time ago about random enc. in rpg also had some opinions similar to this.   This is why I like "initiated encounter" more in games like xenosaga, ffxii, persona 3, tales, etc.   This way you can control the pace of encounters and also it seems more realistic.  I think modern games are shifting to this direction as well.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »

Ultima 7, Earthbound, FFL2, and SMT: Nocturne.

I don't really like Chrono Trigger that much. Once you get past the production value and admittedly excellent aesthetics, there's nothing really there.

Wait how many times have I even replied to this thread why don't I make a post about which games I have the most emotional attachment too.

Chrono Trigger - Not repeating story again whatever actually I will. When I was ten, my family's summer vacation was going out west. We went to the badlands and mount rushmore and wall drug and stuff. on the way back we stopped at the mall of america and i bought this at funcoland or rather my dad got it for me. Got home late at night a few days later, like three AM, popped it in, turned the system on, game didn't start. Blew on the pins, worked like a charm. Started a new game. Sound of seagulls and fireworks ensued.

This was back when my parents could stand being around each other on a week long car trip.

Tales of Symphonia - Played this a lot during the summer when my grandfather was dying.

Actually this is less interesting than I thought.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2011, 08:27:55 PM »

Chrono Trigger is good. I mean, I see nothing you couldn't fault other classics of the SNES era for as well. Either way, I blame your parents for not liking the game.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2011, 08:30:59 PM »

Chrono Trigger is good. I mean, I see nothing you couldn't fault other classics of the SNES era for as well. Either way, I blame your parents for not liking the game.

I seriously wish I could tell my parents how much they fucked up but that takes more courage than I really have, and the IT worlds teetering on the bring of massive retardation so I might be losing my hugeass salary and will need them for support again anyway.

Specific to your quote, however, the only SNES RPGs I like still are like, the Blazer series. and Earthbound.

I'm probably a hipster.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2011, 08:34:47 PM »

Yeah, definitely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9lmvX00TLY

Enjoy.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2011, 09:05:50 PM »

The recommended videos are all vaginal exam videos :|

why.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2011, 09:11:19 PM »

I think it's because she pees out expired spaghettios.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2011, 09:30:46 PM »

i hate you :(

o/` I do not dream o/`

Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2011, 09:44:55 AM »

Apparently, you're not hip enough to appreciate real art.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: