Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 02:43:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334646 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Your Favorite RPGs and Why
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Your Favorite RPGs and Why  (Read 27193 times)
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 06:24:36 PM »

It's hard to rank RPGs overall, but here's my favorites from particular subgenres.  This mostly reflects my impression at the time I played them; they might not match up as well to more recent games.

Baldur's Gate II: My personal favorite.  The best of the Infinity Engine set of D&D CRPGs, with great story, character development, and addictive tactical strategy combat.

Star Ocean 2/3: I liked Tri-Ace's blend of sci-fi and fantasy, the characters were interesting, and the combat system was absolutely addictive.  Bonus dungeons ftw.

Tales of Phantasia: This SNES game was way ahead of its time when it was released in 1995, and later went on to spawn the rest of the Tales series.  As the first of the series, the concept had yet to be redone 10 times, the time travel story was intriguing, and it had a great battle system.  It's really incredible how they managed to do so much with the SNES.

Eien no Aselia (JP only): The best ADV/RPG no one in the West will ever play, and released in 2003 at that.  The story is fascinating and considerably darker than the usual fare, it features my favorite game heroine Aselia, and the combat system is very unique and strategic (and improved even more in its sequel, Seinarukana).

Honorable mention:
Ar Tonelico 2: I really am a sucker for dating-sim-like ADV/RPGs.  The battle system is interesting, and the story is decent.  The character interactions, humor, and great soundtrack are what I played this game for however.

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 07:11:38 PM »

Final Fantasy Tactics (psx/psp) is probably my all time favorite...

Final Fantasy Tactics- My all-time favorite SRPG with a fantastic story. I still think its the game all SRPGs should be measured by.

How does the DS version of Final Fantasy Tactics measure up? I was about getting this.

FFTA2 is my least favorite out of FFT, FFTA, and FFTA2, but it's still worth playing. Unless you like a good story, then you can skip it and not care whatsoever. I still love the gameplay though.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 09:37:15 PM »

Here's my top 20from my full list of ranked RPGs completed (with some comments added):

20 - Xenosaga Ep. I: Der Wille Zur Macht (PS2) -- because, unlike the rest of the gaming populace, I LIKE 40 minute cut scenes. Deal with it.

19 - Seiken Densetsu 3 (SNES) -- because it's awesome.

18 - Secret of Mana (SNES) -- also because it's awesome. Just, slightly more awesome, I think... on a personal level, I remember it more fondly.

17 - Final Fantasy VII (PS) -- You can beat up on silent protagonists (Cloud "..." Vincent "...") all you want. The materia system was hot, no lie.

16 - Alundra (PS) -- Surprisingly dark plot, cool character designs, decent localization from Working Designs, and one of the best soundtracks Kouhei Tanaka ever penned (I prefer it to any and all Sakura Taisen soundtracks!).

15 - Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES) -- the only true "RPG" among the Zelda games (remember leveling up?!), I could play this game over and over and over and not get tired of it.

14 - Super Mario RPG (SNES) -- Axem Rangers. Enough said.

13 - Final Fantasy X (PS2) -- Because it made me cry. A bit. And sphere grid is <3.

12 - Kingdom Hearts (PS2) -- The opening cut scene won me over. The rest was just details. So I'm a graphics whore now and then. Deal with it.

11 - Kingdom Hearts II (PS2) -- See the last one. And add in a Gummi Ship mini-game that didn't suck. There you go. (oh, those time-attack Triangle Button maneuvers were good too)

10 - Romancing SaGa (PS2) -- Among Square (Enix) games, you can't get much more "niche" than the SaGa series. I know that. But man...this remake was fan-freakin-tastic. This was the most SURPRISING experience I've had in RPG-dom for the last 5 years. I didn't think I'd love it nearly as much as I did. Hard, and awesome, and far more interesting than previous SaGa games I'd played. And did I mention the soundtrack? I always love a good soundtrack...Kenji Ito knocked this one out of the park.

09 - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) -- Not really an RPG, but we cover it at RPGFan, so it makes the list. It also makes the list for being awesome in almost every way.

08 - Final Fantasy VIII (PS) -- The only thing that holds this one back from making the top five is the "draw" system, which is one of the worst gameplay elements ever put in an FF. But seriously, that aside, I love the plot to this game. And I love the art style. And the music. Among Uematsu's scores, I think this one takes the cake for me.

07 - Final Fantasy VI (SNES) / Final Fantasy Anthology (PS) / Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA) -- So I've beaten this game at least, what, five times? And it's still fun. The GBA port had some added bonuses that I really enjoyed too. The large cast of characters is what makes this one so memorable.

06 - Final Fantasy Tactics (PS) -- I haven't played the PSP version yet (SHAME ON ME!). But even with its poop-tastic translation the first time over (Lich = RICH!), who could forget the job/ability system in its finest hour?

05 - Final Fantasy IX (PS) -- My all-time favorite among the FF series, if for no other reason, because I think it has the most perfect ending among the FF games. If I were to rank FFs based solely on endings, it would be this, then like ... hmmm... X, then XI (Chains of Promathia), then VIII, then throw a bunch together, and put I and XII at the bottom. Man, XII's ending sucked so hard.

04 - Star Ocean: The Second Story (PS) / Star Ocean: Second Evolution (PSP) -- O M F G I love this game. And I am a relative novice with it as well. I STILL haven't picked up all of the playable characters (though I'm attempting to rectify that right now: 'sup Ernest, and new-character Welch). Among Sakuraba's scores, this is the freshest one he's got. Unfortunately, the PSP version cuts the ending FMV that's supposed to play alongside "We Form In Crystals." Now the song is just tacked to a standard staff roll *after* they play the cheesy J-pop song. I miss the crappy CG ending.

03 - Chrono Trigger (SNES) -- I never played the PS or DS versions to completion, so I base my experience primarily on the SNES version, and seeing every single ending (three full playthroughs is what it took for me, though I suspect you can do it in two). I don't really think I have to justify this game making the top three. It's CHRONO TRIGGER. It was fuckin' advertised as coming from the "Dream Team" of developers (basically, Square and Enix a full decade before they merged).

02 - Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete (PS) -- For much the same reason as FFIX: a perfect ending. Just, ... man ... totally perfect. Also, awesome music, awesome anime cut scenes, far more interesting (and challenging) battles than Silver Star...the list goes on.

01 - Xenosaga Ep. III: Also Sprach Zarathustra (PS2) -- Hmm... along with being the highest score I've ever given a game on RPGFan (95%), Xenosaga III wins because of Eri Itoh's performance in "Hepatica," which plays in the final T-elos battle. Having soft, sentimental music work in a battle scene is a tricky thing. Mitsuda did it well with "People Seized With Life" in Chrono Cross. But Hepatica certainly won me over. The last...5 or 6 hours of the game, totally unforgettable experience. Also, the nod to Maria and Xenogears in that one part is awesome. Also surprised at how they managed to work in "visit Miltia" in THREE DIFFERENT WAYS throughout the three installments. Oh and uh...also, another totally sweet ending. I'm not even a 2nd-century Gnostic Christian (I'm at least 200% more orthodox than what Takahashi presents in this series), but I love the story.

Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 09:42:58 PM »

Digital Devil Saga hands down. I've never been so fully immersed in a video game before or since then.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 10:01:56 PM »

Digital Devil Saga hands down. I've never been so fully immersed in a video game before or since then.

It is a shame. There are so many good PS2 RPGs that I've never played. DDS1 and 2 are among them.

Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 10:02:44 PM »

I couldn't really pick, so I just selected the only games I've replayed at least thrice. :D

Final Fantasy X - First RPG I ever played.  I think. Blitzball is the shit.

Final Fantasy X-2 - I don't know.  I liked it.  It was all happy and stuff. Blitzball is the shit.

Kingdom Hearts - I fuckin' love Disney.

Kingdom Hearts II - I fuckin' love Disney.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 10:09:14 PM »

I couldn't really pick, so I just selected the only games I've replayed at least thrice. :D

Final Fantasy X - First RPG I ever played.  I think. Blitzball is the shit.

Final Fantasy X-2 - I don't know.  I liked it.  It was all happy and stuff. Blitzball is the shit.

Kingdom Hearts - I fuckin' love Disney.

Kingdom Hearts II - I fuckin' love Disney.

You're a Squeenix whore, but that's okay, 'cuz so am I.

So um...didn't Blitzball *suck* in FFX-2? I mean, they basically took away all the good fun stuff that existed in FFX, right? That was no good.

What I liked about FFX-2 was the gameplay. Having a job/ability system and a fast-paced semi-turn-based super-ATB combat system really helped this game. I only played through it once, but I used a guide and got the 100% mission completion for the bonus ending scene. I was well-pleased with this game.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 10:11:17 PM »

I'm a pretty big Square Enix whore myself, just looking at the games I posted and the games that would occupy my 5-10 slots that I didn't post (lots and lots of FF).

Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 10:16:52 PM »

I've got a Top 20 like Pat does, but there's no way in hell I'm writing up mini-descriptions of why I love those games so much. Actually, I'm pretty unmotivated to write much of anything right now, so this is all you're going to get:

Breath of Fire III - I don't even know why I like this one so much. It seems as though no one likes it, but I like to think that everything about this game blends together so nicely. I'm really fond of the graphical and musical presentation, as well as the fine-tuned turn-based gameplay with sexy dragon/weretiger/giant-ass onion character transformations.

Digital Devil Saga (1+2) - This is pretty much the only game that has ever managed to get an emotional response out of me. The death scenes in this game were positively brilliant, something I've yet to witness in any other RPG to date. Every one of those characters, dead or not, is burned into my brain. Seriously, Pat, you need to play 'em.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - Honestly, my love for this one is mostly fueled by nostalgia, but even still, this is a damn fine game. Funny, heartfelt, charming, upbeat to a fault; I love it.

Final Fantasy IX - Favorite game ever. A big part of my reasoning is that the setting (that includes the characters in it) was just so spectacular. I remember every location in that game. The underground mage factory in Dali, the waterfall library Daguerreo, Black Mage Village and their mascot, Bobby Corwin, Fossil Roo and those massive spider car things, whatever-the-fuck-it-was Terra. God damn, it's all way too memorable.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 10:30:43 PM by Sketch » Logged
Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 10:21:15 PM »

To be honest, I initially thought FFX-2 blitzball was absolute shit.
"What the fuck?  I can't play!?" were among the things I thought to myself and yelled to my brother when first learned this.

But eventually I started to play it more frequently than I played Blitzball during my FFX runs. 
Eventually I realized it was piss easy so I started to just stick with the original Gullwings team and sprinkle the Aurochs and the Abes across the other teams which took a long ass time to do.  Then it became fun again.

And besides, it was the only way I could do grade 10 math homework and play video games at the same time. Go simulations!

And yeah, I loved the job system. Even though I didn't use it too much. :/
I just made Yuna and Rikku Berserkers, and made Paine a Dark Knight (or whatever it was called) and... game over. I win.  Perfect Ending.  Hurray.
After realizing how easy the game was I just stuck with the original jobs that each started with. :D

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 10:55:08 PM »

Final Fantasy IX - Favorite game ever. A big part of my reasoning is that the setting (that includes the characters in it) was just so spectacular. I remember every location in that game. The underground mage factory in Dali, the waterfall library Daguerreo, Black Mage Village and their mascot, Bobby Corwin, Fossil Roo and those massive spider car things, whatever-the-fuck-it-was Terra. God damn, it's all way too memorable.

Still playing through FFIX, despite having it for years. It's looking like it'll end up being my favorite FF game.

Anyway, another favorite I forgot about:

SMT: Nocturne - This game really changed how I thought about JRPGs. I'd had an interest in dungeon crawls for awhile up to that point, but SMT: N just did stuff a lot better than much of what I'd been playing. I loved press-turn. I loved -- and am now spoiled by -- the consistency with which status attacks worked. I loved how strategy mattered and how regular battles could wipe you out very quickly and how the entire game was based around party composition and elements. The minimalist atmosphere was new to me, as was the abstract storyline. And the dungeon designs were wonderful and simply gorgeous to look at.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2009, 11:27:03 PM »

Growlanser II: Enjoyed giving me the option of overthrowing the kingdom I so respectfully fight and defend. Always been a fan of overthrowing my own kingdoms. :)

Wild Arms II: Enjoyed the music and enjoyed the puzzles.

Grandia: The music if anything. Amazing.

Final Fantasy Tactics: first game I ever clocked over 100+ hours on. I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed of that achievement.

Final Fantasy VI: I liked the cast of characters.

Chrono Cross: Lol, run away from boss battles? What silliness. Enjoyed the game, not so much the number of characters obtainable. Too much.

Magna Carta: I'm lying through my teeth about this game.

Summon Night 1 & 2: Nice story and weapon system.

Eternal Sonata: Game about my favorite pianist and some of the songs were very nicely done, especially one that was Chopin's piano pieces arranged with orchestra. That was cool. Can't wait to give my lecture on him this week or next.

Secret Of Mana: Good game.

Suikoden III: I liked the story and enjoyed the game, especially scouting all the characters later on. Looking to pick it up again for another run. Good times, good times.

Tales of Eternia: It was fun and I enjoyed the battles.

Tales of Vesperia: It's like an empty, but beautiful girl. easy on the eyes and not so much in the content.

There is definitely more games, but this will do for now.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 12:27:47 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:50:42 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 01:06:03 AM »

I guess that means all those Metroidvaina games are ture "RPG"s as well.

Except not only isn't Zelda II a Metroidvania, but what keeps it from being one only re-enforces why you can actually call it an RPG. An overworld, semi-random encounters, and towns to visit make it the closest to being a proper RPG in the whole series. If you're simply referring to the Castlevania Metroidvanias they also have other aspects that let you argue that they're RPG, such as equipment and shops to buy items from.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 01:16:19 AM »

Here are more of my faves:

Alundra - Not exactly an RPG but it's awesome, kinda similar to Zelda but still fun, and the bosses look cool. And the entering dreams concept and puzzles (despite that they were frustrating) were awesome

Lunar 1 (have barely played Lunar 2 :() - Simple game yet awesome, i don't know why but it was great.

FFIX - One my favorite FF's, next to 10. I kinda felt the "Final Fantasy" theme in this game (i heard this was the maker's favorite FF). Awesome music, awesome towns and really cute chars.

FFVII - I like it but not an extreme fan of it (I kinda think the FFVII original is the best rather than its sequels... then again, i've barely played the sequels).

Secret of Evermore - I enjoyed the alchemy concept and the concept wherein you travel into different places having different era-like environments.

Illusion of Gaia - Great game even though it seemed somewhat short. I was fascinated by the
Code:
concept of the ancient wonders such as Mu, Nazca Plains, Tower of Babel, etc.

FFVI - It was big game alright, so many secrets, so much drama, and two worlds. Great story.

Breath of Fire I - Simple RPG, awesome game.

Suikoden 1 - This RPG got me hooked into the entire Suikoden series, the original 108 stars of destiny concept, having your own castle, etc.

Grandia II (not sure) - I really enjoyed it and it was the only RPG that I've finished in the Dreamcast, I enjoyed fighting the
Code:
body parts
lol.

Wild Arms - The story, the ability to summon different golems, the length of the game (especially the secrets).

Chrono Cross - Great story and awesome gameplay. Chrono Series rock!

Xenogears - Great story, music, and places (like Shevat, i <3 Shevat).

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: