Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 04:02:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340965 Posts in 13937 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Your Favorite RPGs and Why
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Your Favorite RPGs and Why  (Read 27801 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2011, 10:22:05 PM »

Here's my top 20from my full list of ranked RPGs completed (with some comments added):

20 - Xenosaga Ep. I: Der Wille Zur Macht (PS2) -- because, unlike the rest of the gaming populace, I LIKE 40 minute cut scenes. Deal with it.

19 - Seiken Densetsu 3 (SNES) -- because it's awesome.

18 - Secret of Mana (SNES) -- also because it's awesome. Just, slightly more awesome, I think... on a personal level, I remember it more fondly.

17 - Final Fantasy VII (PS) -- You can beat up on silent protagonists (Cloud "..." Vincent "...") all you want. The materia system was hot, no lie.

16 - Alundra (PS) -- Surprisingly dark plot, cool character designs, decent localization from Working Designs, and one of the best soundtracks Kouhei Tanaka ever penned (I prefer it to any and all Sakura Taisen soundtracks!).

15 - Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES) -- the only true "RPG" among the Zelda games (remember leveling up?!), I could play this game over and over and over and not get tired of it.

14 - Super Mario RPG (SNES) -- Axem Rangers. Enough said.

13 - Final Fantasy X (PS2) -- Because it made me cry. A bit. And sphere grid is <3.

12 - Kingdom Hearts (PS2) -- The opening cut scene won me over. The rest was just details. So I'm a graphics whore now and then. Deal with it.

11 - Kingdom Hearts II (PS2) -- See the last one. And add in a Gummi Ship mini-game that didn't suck. There you go. (oh, those time-attack Triangle Button maneuvers were good too)

10 - Romancing SaGa (PS2) -- Among Square (Enix) games, you can't get much more "niche" than the SaGa series. I know that. But man...this remake was fan-freakin-tastic. This was the most SURPRISING experience I've had in RPG-dom for the last 5 years. I didn't think I'd love it nearly as much as I did. Hard, and awesome, and far more interesting than previous SaGa games I'd played. And did I mention the soundtrack? I always love a good soundtrack...Kenji Ito knocked this one out of the park.

09 - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) -- Not really an RPG, but we cover it at RPGFan, so it makes the list. It also makes the list for being awesome in almost every way.

08 - Final Fantasy VIII (PS) -- The only thing that holds this one back from making the top five is the "draw" system, which is one of the worst gameplay elements ever put in an FF. But seriously, that aside, I love the plot to this game. And I love the art style. And the music. Among Uematsu's scores, I think this one takes the cake for me.

07 - Final Fantasy VI (SNES) / Final Fantasy Anthology (PS) / Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA) -- So I've beaten this game at least, what, five times? And it's still fun. The GBA port had some added bonuses that I really enjoyed too. The large cast of characters is what makes this one so memorable.

06 - Final Fantasy Tactics (PS) -- I haven't played the PSP version yet (SHAME ON ME!). But even with its poop-tastic translation the first time over (Lich = RICH!), who could forget the job/ability system in its finest hour?

05 - Final Fantasy IX (PS) -- My all-time favorite among the FF series, if for no other reason, because I think it has the most perfect ending among the FF games. If I were to rank FFs based solely on endings, it would be this, then like ... hmmm... X, then XI (Chains of Promathia), then VIII, then throw a bunch together, and put I and XII at the bottom. Man, XII's ending sucked so hard.

04 - Star Ocean: The Second Story (PS) / Star Ocean: Second Evolution (PSP) -- O M F G I love this game. And I am a relative novice with it as well. I STILL haven't picked up all of the playable characters (though I'm attempting to rectify that right now: 'sup Ernest, and new-character Welch). Among Sakuraba's scores, this is the freshest one he's got. Unfortunately, the PSP version cuts the ending FMV that's supposed to play alongside "We Form In Crystals." Now the song is just tacked to a standard staff roll *after* they play the cheesy J-pop song. I miss the crappy CG ending.

03 - Chrono Trigger (SNES) -- I never played the PS or DS versions to completion, so I base my experience primarily on the SNES version, and seeing every single ending (three full playthroughs is what it took for me, though I suspect you can do it in two). I don't really think I have to justify this game making the top three. It's CHRONO TRIGGER. It was fuckin' advertised as coming from the "Dream Team" of developers (basically, Square and Enix a full decade before they merged).

02 - Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete (PS) -- For much the same reason as FFIX: a perfect ending. Just, ... man ... totally perfect. Also, awesome music, awesome anime cut scenes, far more interesting (and challenging) battles than Silver Star...the list goes on.

01 - Xenosaga Ep. III: Also Sprach Zarathustra (PS2) -- Hmm... along with being the highest score I've ever given a game on RPGFan (95%), Xenosaga III wins because of Eri Itoh's performance in "Hepatica," which plays in the final T-elos battle. Having soft, sentimental music work in a battle scene is a tricky thing. Mitsuda did it well with "People Seized With Life" in Chrono Cross. But Hepatica certainly won me over. The last...5 or 6 hours of the game, totally unforgettable experience. Also, the nod to Maria and Xenogears in that one part is awesome. Also surprised at how they managed to work in "visit Miltia" in THREE DIFFERENT WAYS throughout the three installments. Oh and uh...also, another totally sweet ending. I'm not even a 2nd-century Gnostic Christian (I'm at least 200% more orthodox than what Takahashi presents in this series), but I love the story.

Since I made this post, some new games (for me) shifted things. The new #1 spot goes to Persona 3 Portable, with everything shifted down 1. And then 999 was thrown into the #9 spot. Yeah, and it's staying there! :)

(Maybe Ever17 will get the 17 spot? If I ever get to play it?)

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2011, 11:35:40 PM »

And then 999 was thrown into the #9 spot. Yeah, and it's staying there! :)

If we can harass Aksys into bringing the Xbox 360 remake over, YES.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2011, 11:40:08 PM »

And then 999 was thrown into the #9 spot. Yeah, and it's staying there! :)

If we can harass Aksys into bringing the Xbox 360 remake over, YES.

As well as a PS3 port, pretty please? I'm sick of those 360 exclusives... Still waiting for that goddamn BG&E re-release...

I have fury!
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2011, 11:43:01 PM »

Yeah, but at least you know BG&E is coming to the PS3. Should be this month or next.

And 360 was the JP developer's console choice for the remake which is kinda interesting. Still, I want it.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2011, 12:16:42 AM »

Yeah, but at least you know BG&E is coming to the PS3. Should be this month or next.

And 360 was the JP developer's console choice for the remake which is kinda interesting. Still, I want it.

I agree, it's pretty surprising! Well, a PC re-release would do the job for me, too. I just WANT to try this game, I heard about it so much and it looks awesome, and pretty impossible to find.
True for BG&E, it was just frustrating that they didn't announce the exclusivity before release. I was really looking forward to re-discover that game that I loved so much back then.

I have fury!
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2011, 05:45:24 AM »

1) Legend of Legaia
  • Tactical Arts System utilizing combos. Made it kinda like a turn-based Tekken
  • The massive amounts of accessories available that you can equip 3 of at a time on each party member, provides great use of strategizing
  • Magic System: I like that everyone is essentially a blue mage in this game. Some may not like blue mages but I've liked them in every RPG I've played
  • The unique stats for each party member. Nobody is a carbon copy of the other character and each have their strengths and weaknesses
  • Massive World Map and overall geography
  • Attention to detail: Armor and weapons shown in battle
  • Concept of Seru
  • Story that blends traditional RPG elements with the unique
  • Character design
  • Sound Effects/Soundtrack that uses a heavy amount of bass, percussion, and wind instruments/Japanese VA
  • Mini-Games and Secrets
  • 3D Realistic In-Battle Graphics combined with the cutesy sprite characters outside of battle
  • Absence of tedious puzzles, challenge centered around bosses/enemies
  • Remedies for all things that people could have an issue with: Incense-buy this to get rid of random battles entirely for a set period of time; Good Luck Bell - reduce the random encounter rate; Auto - speeds up battles; Door of Wind - Zip over to a town you've already been to instantly without having to travel the world map; Door of Light - Exit dungeons instantly when in a tight spot, also removes need to backtrack after area is cleared

2) Final Fantasy X
  • Involving Story (I can forgive the hammy voice acting)
  • Battle System (wish this was utilized in more FF games)
  • Sphere Grid (although everyone has basically the same stats once the grid is completed the characters are unique for standard playthroughs, allows for so many options of customization)
  • Soundtrack
  • Detailed World that made me care about the citizens
  • Full control over aeons
  • Kimahri Ronso :P (Let's hear it for the blue mages! Woohoo!)

3) Final Fantasy VII
  • Got me into the RPG genre, lots of nostalgia for this game
  • Engaging story
  • Soundtrack
  • Mini-games/Secrets

4) Demon's Souls
  • Atmosphere
  • Gameplay
  • Challenge

5) The Witcher
  • Gameplay
  • Quirky Atmosphere

6) Alundra
  • Heavily action oriented
  • Good emphasis on puzzle elements that made sense

7)Wild Arms
  • Action RPG element that utilized 'tools'
  • Memorable characters
  • Interactive gameplay
  • Old-school RPG feeling without the frustration
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:53:29 AM by Sise-Neg » Logged

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2011, 12:53:51 AM »

shin megami tensei - Devil Summoner (Sega Saturn)
This is one of the 1st non English Jrpg's I finished. So the main reason is success of completing it and getting better at reading Japanese text. The story is great, the battle system was excellent for it's time.

shin megami tensei - Devil Summoner Soul Hackers (Sega Saturn)
Like devil summoner except plays allot better, the story was awesome imho, I believe some group is doing a translation for the PS version? If you can get around the Japanese txt, this is one of the best smt's imho, outstanding for it's time

FF7 -(PS)
Brilliant story where i actually seemed to care about the characters. Character building was spot on, a true masterpiece

Skies Of Arcadia - (Dreamcast)
The story and battle system, all round great rpg for the DC. A true sense of exploration

Shining Force 3 - 1,2,3 (Sega Saturn)
A continuing story that actually worked well. Pity I finished this before a translation emerged. Great story, great strategic play, visually impressive for the SS

Elder scrolls Oblivion - (360)
Thought I wasn't enjoying it til I hit 40hrs, This game is full of bugs but sucks you in. The only elder scrolls i've played, really impressive wrpg. Bought the ps3 GOTY for a 2nd playthrough, got the dreaded Vampire bug and lost my Shivering isles save, Bitter bout that :) This is a make your own story imho, leveling being the only uninteresting aspect.

Legend of Mana - (snes)
One of my favorites because i think it was the 1st JRPG I played, excellent tutorial for the beginner.

Persona 1,2 ep/is,3 and 4 (ps/ps2)
I'm putting these together, all great stories with great gameplay.

Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne - (PS2)
Gameplay, story, devil summoning and a challenge to play. A sense of returning to the style of SMT imho

DDS1/DDS2 - (PS2)
Same reason as other smt's, a bit of a cakewalk but fun to play, Story is a huge part of my appreciation with this one

Ok, There are just so many more apart from the obvious ones, These are just the ones i've had 2nd or 3rd playthroughs

And im a noob

Zyco
Hope I'm not the old guy!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2011, 09:13:30 AM »

I have been playing RPGs a long time (im 37) and started on my old Commodore 64 went to Genesis, PC, PSone, Xbox, PS3, DS, PSP... What is funny and probably not all that much different from everyone else here is that most of my favorites are the oldest ones and everything gets compared to them - but I dare not try to play my old favorites again so I dont ruin this false image on how great it is.  I did this last year when I for some dumb reason went back to Everquest 1 which I played from release in 1999-2005, when I went back last year it destrpyed all these good memories I had because the game looked like crap and was so archaic! Anyway, here is my list and many I will never try to play again and I am remembering 20+ year old gameplays.

Wasteland C64 - man did I love this game. The setting, the story and weapons and armor just sucked me in as a kid and I played the hell out of this game. If you didnt know Wasteland morphed into Fallout series pretty much.

Pool of Radiance, Curse of Azure Bonds C64 SSI Gold boxes - I had them all and loved them all. Pool of Radiance is where I learned to grind Fire Giants to level up my party and somehow found an uber weapon by splitting my arrows down. Eventually it turned into a "Bag" which was a bow and it did insane OP damage.

Dark Sun PC - There were 2 of them and I love the Dark Sun world and had a great time playing thru these games even if they werent as good as the older Pool of Radiance type games.

Icewind Dale PC - I really liked this game and liked it more than Baldurs Gate, just seemed to get the D&D rules more correctly and I just found it more fun. I am not a big Bioware fan (probably one of the few)

Final Fantasy VII PSOne - One of the first JRPGs I owned and I am not an anime fan =, I just dont like the art style and all that so I avoided most for a long time.  I was shocked at how good this game was and I played the hell out of it.

Planescape Torment PC - I am still mad I lost this game and box, I loved the Planescape D&D world and this game really did a good job in createing it. The writing and story was fantastic.. I never finished this and as I said lost it.. Everquest and MMOs took over my life for the next 10 years.

I have started to play alot of RPGs again and I am even back playing some older ones I have never played, I can add a ton more to this list but ill keep it old games.. even tho the best RPG I have played in the past few years is Demons Souls - I loved and played the hell out of that game and cant wait for the next one.

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2011, 04:30:18 PM »

Hey, Ramza, since your top spot is Xenogears III and I gotta say I LOVED the first one I'd like to ask for your opinion.
You see, I have both II and III but I found the beginning of II kind of boring and I was especially put away by the new voice of KOS-MOS, not to mention a good number of people say II doesn't live up to the expectations of I.

Can I play III without playing II and get full enjoyment of it ? Especially after such a long time.
I mean the story of I was complicated enough for someone to forget most of it after a brief period of time. If I jump straight into III I'm afraid I'll forget even more.

lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2011, 05:15:23 PM »

Ever 17 is a great game, but it's definitely not a rpg ;)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2011, 05:34:20 PM »

I don't like videogames.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2011, 05:38:31 PM »

I don't like videogames.

I don't like guys or girls they are both icky. My next relationship will be with a robot. One who knows how to please a women.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2011, 05:45:55 PM »

In regards to spouses, I've realized my dog is the only thing that loves me unconditionally.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2011, 05:58:40 PM »

In regards to spouses, I've realized my dog is the only thing that loves me unconditionally.

My fingers are the only things that love me unconditionally.

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2011, 07:32:24 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: