Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 12:18:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341017 Posts in 13938 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Your Favorite RPGs and Why
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print
Author Topic: Your Favorite RPGs and Why  (Read 27804 times)
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2011, 09:48:25 AM »

Apparently, you're not hip enough to appreciate real art.

Youtube doesn't think I am either. I don't fit the community guidelines to watch this video.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2011, 10:08:41 AM »

I've watched that video before, dunno was she does though. I don't know... art is scary sometimes better not knowing some things and all that.

Tales of Symphonia - Played this a lot during the summer when my grandfather was dying.

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2011, 10:11:05 AM »

For those who can't see it, she reads a shitty poem while struggling to open a can of expired spaghettios. Then she cuts a whole in her pants, fingers herself with a handful of pasta, and discharges on the floor. Lastly, she takes off her shirt, wipes up the mess, and exits to a room full of applause.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2011, 10:17:27 AM »

For those who can't see it, she reads a shitty poem while struggling to open a can of expired spaghettios. Then she cuts a whole in her pants, fingers herself with a handful of pasta, and discharges on the floor. Lastly, she takes off her shirt, wipes up the mess, and exits to a room full of applause.

So it's pretty much the first day of 4th grade?

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Tartarus

I'm resolved and without reservation

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2011, 09:42:39 AM »

Warning:   PS2 JRPGs will dominate this list.

10) Shadow Hearts: From the New World 
9) Dragon Quest VIII 
8) Jade Empire
7) Final Fantasy X   
6) Digital Devil Saga 1&2 
5) Final Fantasy VII 
4) Suikoden V
3) Persona 3 FES 
2) Persona 4.

1) Shadow Hearts 1&2 - Why? Yuri Hyuga.

Honourable mentions:

Chrono Trigger
KotOR
Steambot Chronicles
Odin Sphere
Final Fantasy XII
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: September 07, 2011, 01:34:22 AM »

The best part is the fact that the camera man knows how drugged out the performer is and spends as little time as possible recording her antics over capturing the responses of the crowd. Heck, most of the video after the can-opener shenanigans consists of 'spot the lesbians'.

Also that's hole not whole.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: September 07, 2011, 11:06:53 AM »

Fair enough re: "whole."

Do you think she's on drugs? I don't

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2011, 01:02:34 AM »

Umm....I kinda implied that, yes?

You can see that she cut her hand halfway into the video while fumbling around during her performance and she wasn't exactly fazed by it. The fact that her "poem" ended in a series of mumbled grunts and her 2 minute epic struggle with a can opener, a can, and physics also kinda suggest it as well. Plus she's giving an edgy hipster bullshit performance to a crowd that's probably about 50% high as well (or at least buzzed). And if that's not enough proof than I don't know what is.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: September 08, 2011, 07:14:07 AM »

Eh, that's a lot of assumptions you're making. She could just be amped up enough on performing that she didn't notice the cut. That would also account for her struggle with the can. The grunts you're referring to is actually the poem being recited backwards and she is quite lucid throughout.

I just found an interview with her. Turns out, this was her first public performance. I highly doubt she was on drugs, just really nervous and pumped full of adrenaline.

http://zh-cn.connect.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=469436318497
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 07:31:04 AM by Vanguard » Logged

PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: September 08, 2011, 10:26:09 AM »

The Aristocrats!
Wisamu

初寒

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2011, 06:58:09 AM »

1) Dragon Quest VIII: Like previous DQ titles, this game is drenched in all the colors of nostalgia.  A ravishing traditional story about good and evil,  beautiful music by the legendary Koichi Sugiyama, and a challenging gameplay requiring wit and hours of leveling in dungeons. The game stayed faithful to previous titles while adding to that breathtaking visuals.

2) Final Fantasy VII: My first RPG. A wonderful mix between the political and the magical. Characters have depth and show development throughout the story, giving life to the game in spite of the highly polygonal graphics. A very solid storyline loaded with drama.

3) Star Ocean IV: The gods, the masters of the universe have set forth a quest to destroy it. A very profound plot with many surprises along the way. Like previous titles, it was interesting to see how they managed to mold both futurism and feudalism into one single coherent gaming experience.

4) Chrono Trigger: This game is the epitome of a grand adventure. Unique multi-dimensional characters and an engaging storyline involving time travel and epic world-saving.  Yasunori Mitsuda and Nobuo Uematsu, two famous musicians in the realm of J-RPGs, had managed to score a timeless soundtrack worthy of such masterpiece.

5) Kingdom Hearts: I played this game back when I was 11 and it was just mind-blowing to see my heroes from Disney interacting with those from Final Fantasy. Add to that a very relatable story about friendship, courage, and competitiveness.

The rest would go something like this:

6) Breath of Fire IV
7) Valkyrie Profile II
8) Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
9) Ys I & II: Eternal Story
10) Drakengard
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 01:17:30 PM by Wisamu » Logged

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2011, 01:43:11 PM »

Xenoblade is rapidly becoming one of my favourite RPGs. Its just so immersive, addictive and gorgeous. I am constantly amazed by all the little details in the world I am roaming through and often call out to my husband "Look at this! The scenery is so GORGEOUS!" Its fun too, which is also a plus :)

Past favourites include most of the SMT series - props to Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Persona 3, Persona 4, Nocturne.

I also love Final Fantasy X as well (including Tidus - it makes sense for him to be lost and a bit whiny at times).

Of the hand-helds, Radiant Historia (epic time travelling, alternate timeline hopping and liked the characters and battles), and Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.
bobwps3

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2011, 05:09:12 PM »

I am somewhat biased towards the more new-school cinematic JRPG, (which I think has really fallen out of fashion this generation) but that doesn't mean that I don't have a soft spot for SNES games.  These are my favorites:

PS2: The PS2 didn't win me over completely until I played the Digital Devil Saga games.  Now it's my favorite system of all time.  As with the PS1, there are tons of notable games that I haven't played for it yet.

1) Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2: I've always liked Xenogears and Xenosaga, but this series seems to be a similar style of RPG, only with the best turn based battle system I've ever seen in a non SRPG.  I haven't found an RPG with a story that I've liked more since.  As far as the psychological/religious aspects to the game, they are far more integrated into the game world, and consequentially don't come of as pretentious at all. (at least to me)

2) Persona 4: Another exceptionally great game by Atlus.  I liked the blend of dating sim, rpg and visual novel elements in the game.  The fact that the game lets you control your entire party is a big plus over Persona 3...

3) Final Fantasy XII: My personal favorite combat system in any Final Fantasy game.

4) Xenosaga Series: Say what you want about it, but I really liked this series.  There were some genuinely great characters in these games, such as KOS-MOS, and Shion's brother.

PS1: I got into the PS1 late, since I stubbornly stuck with the N64 exclusively until PS1 emulation became well known.  I haven't had the chance to play any Atlus games for the system, so my list could change substantially.  I regret not getting into the system far earlier, since it has hundreds of great RPGs in it's library.

1) Xenogears: This game truly set the bar for stories in a RPG, for all of its flaws.  I always look for games similar to this (at least in my perception) every generation.  It never felt finished, and the gameplay was just average, but I felt like it set new standards for what games should be allowed to say or do.

2) Final Fantasy VII: Obviously a historically significant Final Fantasy game, it's hard to downplay its signficance on gaming.

3) Final Fantasy VIII: A lot of people didn't like this game, but I loved the combat system and the atmosphere of the game.  The characters were quite an acquired taste, but the art direction of the environments was excellent.

SNES: The game system of my childhood. (also the NES, but that system didn't quite have as great of an RPG library)  I really thought that the SNES took what the NES did well, and improved on it in every way possible.

1) Final Fantasy VI: Probably my favorite Final Fantasy.  Personally my favorite cast, and a massive one too.  Set the formula for Final Fantasy VII. (It seems to me that Final Fantasy VII, for all of its greatness, is very similar to VI) Had a cinematic feel in the game engine, even though it had no FMV cutscenes.

2) Secret of Mana: My favorite RPG combat system of all time.  I'm suprised it hasn't influenced more games to date.

3) Final Fantasy IV: My first mainline final fantasy game. (Yes, I started with Mystic Quest, and I actually liked the game)  There are many boss fights in this game that make me feel like it was just yesterday.  There is something about this game that I can't describe, just a visceral appeal to it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 05:20:12 PM by bobwps3 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: