Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 09:39:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334629 Posts in 13705 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The hobbies thread. What do folks do other than gaming?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: The hobbies thread. What do folks do other than gaming?  (Read 14635 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« on: April 19, 2009, 07:54:37 PM »

It's obvious that gaming is a major hobby for all of us.  But what are some hobbies people enjoy outside of gaming? 

My two main hobbies outside of gaming are music and cycling.  (I'd put voice impersonations in there, but I haven't done much with that outside a few open mics.) 

I love playing bass.  I've been playing it on and off since I was 15 or 16.  I took lessons for 3 years in high school, my playing petered out in college, and I got back into it post-grad school (circa 1) thanks to the influence of a youth volunteer at a learning center I was working at.  I'm nowhere near as good as I'd like to be. 

I've been getting into cycling since June or July last year.  Changed my life.  Ever since I started cycling I've been eating healthier, drinking less, and invested in a gym membership to do supplementary weight training and ride a stationary bike when the weather/seasons are unfavorable.  Thanks to my bicycle influencing a new lifestyle, I've already lost 35 pounds (down from 240 to 205 and looking to eventually get to the 170s).  This summer I'm looking to do a bike tour of Philly with a friend then maybe visit some old college buddies in upstate New York and go cycling with them.  want to get more into doing charity rides and group rides.  I've definitely decided I prefer road biking to mountain biking. 

So, yeah, tell us about some of the hobbies you enjoy pursuing outside of gaming. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 07:24:34 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 08:16:27 PM »

I enjoy creative writing, and I'm thinking that's what I want to do when I finish up college. Seeing the end result of a completed story is such a unique, refreshing feeling that makes the pain and suffering of getting there seem miniscule.  The thing with me, though, is that I'm always a ridiculously tired person and a painfully slow writer, so finding energy to do it regularly is always so much more of a chore than I would like it to be. Still, writing is definitely the main thing in my life right now.

Another hobby of mine is Ultimate Frisbee, which I first got into about two years ago.  I'm not a sports person, but Ultimate is just so fast paced and exciting for me, and it's always been something my friends and I can enjoy together.  It makes me look forward to every summer, when all all my returning college buddies and I can mass together and compete.

Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 08:22:51 PM »

I enjoy cooking. I'm always thinking up new things to try and make, and I'm hard pressed not to spend unnecessary amounts of money in a grocery store. It's kind of a pain cooking in college, especially since I have to share one kitchen with the whole dorm, which is populated by slobs, but I get by somehow.

I'm also actually looking to get into Warhammer 40,000 because I like strategy games (like Risk or Heroscape) and I'd like to have some sort of artistic hobby like painting the miniatures. The problem is how damn expensive this hobby is, and that most of my friends are too poor to play or uninterested in doing so.

I also play ungodly amounts of Scrabble.

Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 08:44:54 PM »

Outside of gaming, I also enjoy to write creatively.  Mainly short stories, but I also write poetry.   In the past, I have actually done some readings (so terrifying, but worth it at the same time when people appreciate your work.) 

I'm a sports girl.  I love to watch sports, pretty much all of them.  I also enjoy playing a game of basketball (I've been playing since I was eight), and I really enjoy giving my guy friends a run for their money when we play. 

Started up yoga when I was in college and still enjoy that.  College also lead to me discovering my love for kickboxing. 

I'm a big movie buff and also have love for my TV.  I actually am currently writing my own tv series.  It's on the list of one of my dream jobs.  There are definitely more hobbies I have, but those will have to do for now.  :-)

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 08:47:32 PM »

I take a stick that's just under six feet long and I hit a piece of cylindrical rubber with it.

Then I punch guys when the whistle blows.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 09:04:55 PM »

Wow, nice to see so many writers here.  I also like to write.  I would like to become a novelist, and have a few ideas that I have half-heartedly worked on but for now I stick to mainly short stories.  Lately I haven't done too much writing due to crazy amounts of school work but I've been looking to participate in some writing contests or such when I have some time.

I guess reading may be considered a hobby.  I try to read as much as I can, which has turned out to be a shit ton lately but most of it is for school.  I used to be heavy into fantasy but lately I've strayed away from it finding it stale.  Maybe I need that break before I can get back into it.

I know nothing beyond technical information but I am pretty into DJing and hope to start soon as I can afford to, it's so damn expensive.  Not party DJing but mixing/beatmaking/turntabling and stuff like that.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 09:10:23 PM »

I write but I suck at it.

My hobbies are mostly growin' mah plants and uh drawing pictures of anthropomorphic anteaters in religious situations.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 09:18:41 PM »

I watch more anime than's probably safe to watch by any sane person, let alone buy. 

I used to be an avid writer but that's mostly gone to the wayside with reading (which I also used to do a lot of, both in primarily the genre of fantasy).  I do plan on getting back into both of the other activities at some point though.  In fact, I'm working on the basic details of a story I've had in the back of my head for a couple years now.  I probably won't take it too seriously until I beat my aliteracy though.  That may happen sooner rather than later if I become an historian in terms of work, but that's tentative at best for a couple years. -____-

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 09:46:05 PM »

Guitar, in mass quantities.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 10:13:22 PM »

I watch movies. Lots and lots of movies (watched 5 just this weekend).

Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 10:23:15 PM »

In grade 10 I unintentionally collected cans of Sprite in my locker.  There was at least one added each day. It was a bitch to clean out.

Now water bottles occupy my locker space.

:D

Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 10:39:27 PM »

In grade 10 I unintentionally collected cans of Sprite in my locker.  There was at least one added each day. It was a bitch to clean out.

Now water bottles occupy my locker space.

:D

For whatever reason, I collected energy drink bottles and cans for about a year back in high school. Probably tenth grade-ish.

I think it's now safe to say that RPGs and liquid containers are directly correlated for that demographic. =P
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 01:47:43 AM »

I take a stick that's just under six feet long and I hit a piece of cylindrical rubber with it.

Six feet?  What are you playing - polo?

I read.  A lot.  I have a library of over 3000 books, and I blew through one that was 800 pages long over the past week, around work and sightseeing stuff.

I love listening to music, but haven't been able to really do any singing (my forte) since I started working in a travelling job.

I used to love racquetball... but haven't played much since college.  Oh, and Ultimate Frisbee is awesome - but I haven't played that in a long time either.  Sketch, have you tried Frisbee Golf?  If you're accurate with a frisbee, you might enjoy it.  (Also, have you seen the movie That Thing You Do?  Because the main character's nickname is Sketch, and he's a cool guy.)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 02:04:14 AM »

Six feet?  What are you playing - polo?

I read.  A lot.  I have a library of over 3000 books, and I blew through one that was 800 pages long over the past week, around work and sightseeing stuff.

Sounds a lot like Hockey.  The good 'ol hockey game.  The best game you can name, it's the good 'ol Hockey game.

Also, I envy anyone that can read that much.  I own zero books and only read when its mandatory for school.  I would want to read but I don't really have patience. :/   It sucks.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 02:58:36 AM »

I work out, and am currently learning Taekwondo and Thai Boxing.

I also like to read (mostly foreign novels) and write.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: