Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2014, 03:39:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337846 Posts in 13833 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The hobbies thread. What do folks do other than gaming?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: The hobbies thread. What do folks do other than gaming?  (Read 14673 times)
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 03:24:09 AM »

Sketch, have you tried Frisbee Golf?  If you're accurate with a frisbee, you might enjoy it.  (Also, have you seen the movie That Thing You Do?  Because the main character's nickname is Sketch, and he's a cool guy.)

I actually haven't, for the sole reason that it doesn't look fun at all. =P
But I really should give it a try. It'd be tough to find a frisbee basket, though. There's a good five parks around me, yet none of them have any.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 03:29:20 AM »

Scuba diving when I was overseas, cycling now that I'm back in Canada.

I play drums, though it's hard to find an apartment building willing to put up with them.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 06:05:16 AM »

Mostly sports. I don't really do any artistic activity, due to a complete lack of talent. I play hockey all year, but never on ice, since I can't skate anymore. I play tennis in the summer, and do a lot of biking.

I used to write, until I realized what I was doing was downright terrible, but I still read a lot, even if these days I have to read mostly stuff related to what I study.

I used to do some photography, but I sucked at that too. Oh well.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 06:11:02 AM »

Anime/Manga. Yeah, I watch/read nowhere near the amount I used to, but it still takes up a lot of time.

Sports. Play them and watch them.

Music. Listen to a lot of it and write lyrics every once in a while.

Korean dramas. Been watching the hell out of them ever since the year started.

Watching TV. I watch it a lot, but my two favorite shows are becoming shit (Family Guy and South Park.)

Language learning. Learning Korean this year and I'll start on Japanese next year.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 06:27:55 AM by dalucifer0 » Logged
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 06:40:18 AM »

Reading
I have a ton of books and even more manga. I read pretty much everything from literature to detective novels. However, I'm very picky when it comes to fantasy. Most of the walls in my bedroom are covered with shelves filled with books. It scares people.

Knitting, sewing and other girly/creative things
I like that. In fact, people even pay for the things I make! Last year I started a kind of club for people who are into this as well and like manga/anime/games. We go to Dutch animeconventions and sell our things there. Last time, my fleece hats with cat ears sold out within the first hour :D

Rabbits
Rabbits are great. My Chibi-sama and Senka are so much fun to watch. I know more about rabbits than your avarage vet.

Archery
Okay, I haven't used a bow in a long time, but I wouldn't mind starting again. I was more of a recreational archer and never entered competitions, but I wasn't half bad. I never bought my own bow though. Not that I really needed one. The club had an old Greenhorn recurve bow that was perfect for someone of my level and since nobody else was able to use it, it was practically reserved for me.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 06:59:49 AM »

I read quite a bit.

I also enjoy licking stamps for the post office.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 07:09:46 AM »

Reading, definitely. Most of the stuff I've read recently has been for school but outside of that, I'm a pretty avid reader. My library of novels are kind of spread over two separate continents right now though because I've been moving around.

I write and I rhyme because it's fun. Short stories, poetry and the like. I also sing as a hobby-- I've been taking personal classes to be able to do it professionally. It's connected to my other hobby which is Theater. Acting, improvisation, intervention. Things that will decrease in prevalence when University starts in the Fall, I'm guessing. :-(

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 07:30:46 AM »

I enjoy watching anime, reading novels, like right now, I'm reading the Star Wars The New Jedi Order books, and I also like reading manga. I'm a big music nut; I love all sorts of music, from rock and metal, to hip-hop and video game soundtracks. I'm thinking about taking up learning a musical instrument, perhaps the piano.
Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 07:36:41 AM »

Sketch, have you tried Frisbee Golf?  If you're accurate with a frisbee, you might enjoy it.  (Also, have you seen the movie That Thing You Do?  Because the main character's nickname is Sketch, and he's a cool guy.)

I actually haven't, for the sole reason that it doesn't look fun at all. =P
But I really should give it a try. It'd be tough to find a frisbee basket, though. There's a good five parks around me, yet none of them have any.
Wait, wait.  By frisbee golf do you mean Disc Golf?  As in the sport they play in the PDGA?  I love that shit, man.  I usually play for fun whenever I cross the border to Michigan.  My cousin works at a disc factory.  I wish my forearm throw would be better, though.  I can only sidearm the discs. :(

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 08:17:39 AM »

Reading
Knitting, sewing and other girly/creative things
Rabbits
Archery

Oh, my wife would love you.  She also reads, knits, sews (and does other girly/creative things), and loves rabbits.  We had 3, but... the inevitable thing that happens with pets happened to them, one each year for 3 years. :(

If you're interested in knitting sites online, PM me or something - I'll get some links from her to cool stuff and forward them.  If you're looking to sell more stuff, I have one word for you: amigurumi.  Can be very easy to make, and I bet you'd sell a freaking truckload at cons.

Wait, wait.  By frisbee golf do you mean Disc Golf?  As in the sport they play in the PDGA?  I love that shit, man.  I usually play for fun whenever I cross the border to Michigan.  My cousin works at a disc factory.  I wish my forearm throw would be better, though.  I can only sidearm the discs. :(

Yeah, I'm sure that's the same thing I mean.  I just haven't played enough to use the real name. :)  I have a set of basic discs at home, but haven't had a chance to really use them.

Oh - I forgot a hobby before!  Geocaching.  It's awesome.  Buy a GPS unit, or heck, use your phone if it's got GPS, then download coordinates for free from the web, and you're off treasure-hunting.  (http://www.geocaching.com/ is a great site for it.)  The caches you find vary from tiny containers with just enough room for a piece of paper to sign that you were there to big old buckets you can trade trinkets (and sometimes better stuff) in.  And with summer coming, we're just about to hit the best time of year for it.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 01:05:08 PM »

It's awesome to see so many writers here. I too do a lot of creative writing. I just finished a degree in it and now I'm taking an MA in Writing for Children. I've had a bunch of poetry (adult) published, and I'm currently working on my first children's novel (almost 30,000 words in!) I've got a professional editor/agent ready to look at it when it's done, so I'm pretty psyched!

I also run pretty obsessively. I do 8-10 miles most nights. The most I've ever run is 20 miles, but I'm hoping to run the London marathon next year.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 01:34:46 PM »

Outside of gaming, I mostly tinker around with import cars, or watch a shiatload of Asian cinema. Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, or Filipino dramas/movies... I watch it ALL. :P And now that spring has (FINALLY) come, I can fool around with my car again. :}

I loved sketching too, but I haven't been able to get around to that lately. I really should.

Aside from Asian cinema, import cars, and sketching, I like rollerblading. Fun fun!

Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 07:27:35 PM »

I enjoy forms of angry music and I like cooking.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 07:31:14 PM »

TANGENT: How about this for a frightening thought?  An RPGFan metal band with D-Rider on lead guitar, Losfer on vocals & rhythm guitar, Lard on drums, and me on bass...

Like many of you I also enjoy cooking, reading, and writing as well (heck I write for a little website called RPGFan) but my main things are still cycling, bass, and voices.  

It's cool seeing that so many of you are into participating in sports.  As for me, I don't enjoy watching sports; I'd rather be out in the park or field playing them even though I'm terrible at most.  Of course when it's Olympics, World Cup soccer, and Tour de France I'm glued to the TV. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 07:52:15 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 07:36:32 PM »

Well, I'm probably the only guy here who can do Death growls /and/ falsetto, so count me in.

*Sets his guitar on fire and grinds it on his monitor.  With gusto.  Ballsy gusto.*

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: