Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 02:44:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332855 Posts in 13639 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The hobbies thread. What do folks do other than gaming?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: The hobbies thread. What do folks do other than gaming?  (Read 14614 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2009, 12:45:56 AM »

Hiking is probably my favorite outdoor hobby, and camping coincides with this one.

Seriously, Jimmy - check out geocaching.  If you already love hiking, it just adds another fun element to your hikes and can help you decide where to go.  (That last one's always the hardest part for me.)  Also, there are a TON of caches in Utah.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2009, 01:47:28 AM »

That does sound kind of fun, and it looks like there are quite a few within fifteen miles of my house. Maybe I could try it out one of these days.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2009, 02:24:29 AM »

Oh, my wife would love you.  She also reads, knits, sews (and does other girly/creative things), and loves rabbits.  We had 3, but... the inevitable thing that happens with pets happened to them, one each year for 3 years. :(

If you're interested in knitting sites online, PM me or something - I'll get some links from her to cool stuff and forward them.  If you're looking to sell more stuff, I have one word for you: amigurumi.  Can be very easy to make, and I bet you'd sell a freaking truckload at cons.

I know a bit about amigurumi, but we have a amigurumi-girl and I try not to invade the others' territories. It's best for us and our sales.

And bunnies dying... I know all about it. My little albinos always tried to go in the most tragic way possible. The first white one had an heart attack while I was giving her a bath (she had problems with her digestive system; there was always a lot of diarhee). The second one died of pheumonia just a little while after I had gotten her (cousin didn't want her anymore, so I took care of her). It died in my arms. And the third one... she was always very strong, survived a bunch of shit like years of neglect, myxomatose and other nasty things. She was ancient in rabbit terms. This winter she got thinner and thinner, even though she was still eating insane amounts of food. I went to the vet, but he's an idiot and thought it was a hairball, even though this was a shorthaired rabbit and food went in and out just fine. When I realized what it really was, it was already too late. E. cuniculi is a bitch. :(

The non-white ones died in less tragic ways, but stilll...

I always get new ones, though. I always have two rabbits and if one dies the other would feel lonely. And since I get them from shelters (or relatives who don't want their pet anymore) I always end up with the misfits.

Oddly enough, I love cleaning.  My mum is a bit of a pack rat, and I've expressed myself to be anything but.

I'm a bit of both. I have way too much stuff (mostly books) for my small room, but I like to keep everything organized. Once every month I sort all the books and give the shelves an extra good cleaning.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2009, 04:28:39 PM »

Tomara, are albino rabbits more prone to problems/early death? Seems that most of the ones that come back into the shop with problems are albino.

/tangent

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2009, 04:48:15 PM »

I think that's very likely. Albino's have traits like bad eyesight and the like, I wouldn't be surprised if they were weaker in general. My mixed breeds all lived longer and healthier lifes than my two polish rabbits and the other albino.

When I took the last one to the vet to have an abcess removed, one of the assistants noted they rarely saw albino's anymore, as if they were becoming unpopular. Health problems could be a reason for that.

The dwarf gene probably doesn't do much good either...

But they're still awesome. I love those red eyes.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 04:58:42 PM by Tomara » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2009, 05:12:06 PM »

Terribly sorry to hear about your rabbits :(

So I think it's pretty clear now that my other hobby is 'plants.' currently trying to grow some pachypodiums from seed, because my parents got me them for easter. Anyway, they, uh... two have actually germinated. Germinated a few days ago, really. Two or three days is pretty quick germination time. I'll need to try the presoak method with some mimosas and joshua tree seeds I have this year, if they're still viable.

And as I said my other hobby is drawing Andrei Rublėv as an anteater, because there's something deeply and profoundly wrong with me.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4889/anteaterrublyov.png

I also like to draw fruit wearing human clothes.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5817/pitayaman.png

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2009, 06:29:46 PM »

OK, sorry I dragged us down into the rabbit hole.  I think any of us who have had rabbits have sad bunny dying stories.  If you've got them, you kind of understand, because aside from being really darned cute and makin' babies, kicking buckets seems to be a top activity for rabbits.  Also, it seems like so many of us who've had more than one got them from other people who didn't want them.[/depressing time]

Anywho, that first drawing is actually pretty great, MGF!  The other one's not so high-quality, but it cracks me up, which is good enough for me. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2009, 07:16:22 PM »

I also have rabbit stories. Not about personal rabbits, but they're sort of... well, as a matter of taste, I'm not getting into them, because I'd be throwing some pretty heavy accusations at someone I don't know very well, based solely on group suspicion.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Tsi Aileron

113308759 TsiAileron@hotmail.com Tsi+Aileron TsiAileron
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2009, 12:16:21 AM »

Guitar, in mass quantities.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I do all the time these days.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2009, 12:45:49 AM »

With all the rabbit lovers here I'm afraid I'll be lynched for my frequent vivisection of rabbits over the last three years.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2009, 03:11:51 AM »

If you had good reasons and the animals didn't suffer...

What bothers me more is that people buy pets without knowing much about them. Many people think rabbits don't need much space, because the ones in pet stores are so small, but rabbits love running and jumping. Others think rabbits are like living toys and that they'll sit on your lap whenever you want, when in fact most rabbits don't like being held. And then there are many who fail to realize most pets, rabbits included, ask for long term commitment. Little Timmy might be 8 years old now and love his little furball, but the rabbit will still be there when he hits puberty and finds new interests.

I got my first rabbit for my sixth birthday and my second one a few months after that. It was my cousin's, but it was hard for her to take care of it, because it was agressive. The rabbit was lonely, bored and had a strong personality to boot. She calmed down soon after she moved in with my rabbit, but never stopped disliking people, because of bad experiences she had early on. But she did like me and she was very smart. When I opened her cage and then the door to the stairs, she knew I was going upstairs and that she could come. She'd run ahead of me and wait by my door. She died when I was fifteen. She wasn't what most people look for in a rabbit, but she was a great pet and was with me for most of my childhood.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2009, 08:28:11 AM »

Actually Tomara you just sort of reminded me of something weird I noticed when, uh, reading about exotic cats being kept as pets just to see if anyone had ever had success raising manuls in captivity (Odd interest of a friend. Don't ask).

I think people just have really skewed concepts about pet ownership in general. Most of the stuff mentioned on said exotic cat pages, which was marked as being really special considerations and bold, thrice underlined bulletpoints just struck me as stuff that should be common knowledge. I'm wouldn't expect it to be easy to raise an exotic cat, of course, but it seems like things like "Animal-proof your house to prevent cat from eating your oleanders, hot electrical wires, and bleach" or "Your cat might pee on things and bite you" or "Know about the animal's personality, dietary needs, space requirements, etc. before buying" are kind of, uh... duh?

I guess improperly socialized rats are also a huge problem. I know nothing about rats, but apparently people just sort of leave them in their cages and ignore them, which is bad.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2009, 09:53:11 AM »

When I was still in high school, someone from my year bought a rat during lunchbreak and brought it to school. I was surprised the petstore sold it to her like that. I mean, she was walking around with it as if it was some mascot animal from a cartoon or comicbook.

Perhaps that is what people expect, a fluffy sidekick that will only act in ways that are convenient for the owner, right from the start. That's not how it works. If you want a good pet, you have to train it. You have the be strict, but at the same time you need to try to understand why the animal does the things it does.

My rabbits become more and more interesting as I learned more about their behaviour. For instance, Senka wiggles her tail a lot. People often thinks she does that because she is happy, but what she's actually trying to say is "leave me alone, you're annoying." Beppie, my little albino, had the habit of biting everything she was unfamiliar with, including people. This was often seen as aggression, but she was only trying to see what kind of material she was dealing with, she was curious. Chibi used to bite whoever tried to give him food. He was not trying to be mean, he was bored and wanted to challenge the owner. This behaviour disappeared almost as soon as he got more living space, a partner and some toys.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 09:54:56 AM by Tomara » Logged
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2009, 11:35:41 AM »

You have the be strict, but at the same time you need to try to understand why the animal does the things it does.

Yes, just like with my 20 children, or five trophy wifes.

(j/k of course)

So, since my other hobby is plants, last year I tried to grow bananas. I never potted them out and tried overwintering in the garage (the foliage died back of course. You don't water the, when you do this) but I think they still go too much light and ended up rotting. The corms feel mushy. I'm going to plant them out this weekend, maybe. We'll see how they do.

And today, I discovered that certain species of palms hardy to around zone 6 can, if given protection, can be grown outdoors as far north as zone 6. I think I just got an awesome idea :]

o/` I do not dream o/`

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2009, 03:53:04 PM »

With all the rabbit lovers here I'm afraid I'll be lynched for my frequent vivisection of rabbits over the last three years.

To add to the flames, I fucking love rabbit stew.  :P

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: