Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 05:04:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319265 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The hobbies thread. What do folks do other than gaming?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: The hobbies thread. What do folks do other than gaming?  (Read 14304 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2009, 07:19:17 PM »

when im not playing games i peruse the net for hentai of those video game characters that catch my eye O_o. oh yes i have pics of mitsuru on yukari action! no really i'm serious. how do you think i found my sig pic i certainly didn't draw it ! i watch some anime but not a lot. lets see! i used to play magic when i was younger. i would still play but i ran out of people to play it with. lets see what else...oh some normal shows i like are smallville,supernatural,fringe,the terminator series,and dollhouse. also when those shows are in reruns i'll watch bones or house. i dont know if any of you have heard of it but sometimes i play a game called heroscape with my brothers. it's sorta like a tabletop strategy rpg. seeing as i live in cleveland i follow local sports teams such as the indians and the cavaliers who by the way are gonna win the title this year!i also play softball and basketball. ok enough rambling for me.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2009, 11:16:52 PM »

when im not playing games i peruse the net for hentai of those video game characters that catch my eye O_o.

That doesn't count >8/

Also stop it you'll go blind.

seeing as i live in cleveland

Hey one of my Russian profs is from Cleveland, and I go to the Parma/Beechwood (?) area like yearly.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2009, 08:18:57 PM »

i'm familliar with parma and beachwood,and in actuallity i live in lakewood a suberb just outside of cleveland.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2009, 08:50:42 PM »

Skateboarding should be the first thing I mention, although I haven't done it seriously since I was 21 (I'm 25 now).  I got my first real job at 21, and had been skating a lot when I started (going straight to the skate park after work, still wearing my business casual clothing, much to my friends delight), but that stopped.  As much as I loved skateboarding myself, it is a social activity and people don't stay in one place forever.

Programming is another one.  Other than a two month streak of coding last year, I really haven't had time to dedicate myself to programming since I was in high school.  Having to work is way too distracting.  I've learned C++ well enough to make my own clones of Tetris and Zelda 1 complete with a level editor, and have begun work on more elaborate 2D projects, but until I'm settled into a job that I'm not desperately trying to advance from, I can't pay enough attention to this hobby.  This is the hobby that is always in the back of my head... I'm like Brian in Family Guy trying to write a novel for the past three years.  Seeing the success of the RPGMaker games around here lately makes it worse, as I am capable (on a technical level) of reproducing those efforts from scratch.  $20 per download gives me pipe dreams of being forced to make games for money if I can't find a decent job, but enough about that.

My mom is a music teacher, so I can play a few instruments.  I was a bassist in a metal band last year before I moved away for work, so this is another "back of my mind" hobby.

Can TV be considered a hobby?  I only watch Cartoon Network and Comedy Central, but it doesn't feel like any more of a hobby than eating, pooping, or sleeping.  I just sorta leave the TV on the background.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2009, 09:12:21 PM »

I enjoy playing the piano (in which I play mostly video game themes such as the FF Piano collection lol). I do enjoy programming a bit but since I'm on vacation, I'm relaxing of and will go back to programming after my vacation. I enjoy reading different articles regarding mythologies to ancient history to paranormal/alien stuff. At a certain degree, I study math sometimes (yea, real nerdy lol).

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2009, 08:08:05 PM »

Cool thread, and it seems like y'all actually have a variety of interests besides gaming. I've been trying to branch out myself. Honestly though, until I turned 18 I really ONLY played videogames. :( I think it ruined my eyesight.

Nowadays I'm into a few more things; I love music, and been playing banjo(don't laugh!)  and harmonica for 4 years now, been playing with a local bluegrass/folk group for a year. I also just bought a bass three days ago, after hearing Bela Fleck's amazing bassist Victor Wooten. He is my favorite bass playe now, but Edgar Meyer and Byron House are still awesome in my book. Anyway, It'll be my first attempt at playing a non acoustic instrument. Hope my neighbors don't complain. I also sketch alot, but I'm too lazy/unskilled to finish anything I draw. I read some comics and manga, just finished Scud and started Kare Kano. 

Guess that's it. I think I need to add some sort of physical activity to my list so I can shape up.

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2009, 08:34:49 PM »

Victor Wooten has to be the greatest bassist alive.  The entire Wooten family's f'n amazing.  Regi's one hell of a guitar player. 

Ain't no way I'm laughing at banjo.  Banjo either reminds me of Deliverance (which scared the crap out of me) or it reminds me of that old Nickelodeon cartoon Doug (which totally f'n rocked!) 

So long as you plug headphones into your bass amp (or use something like the Tascam bass trainer; great little tool to help you learn licks off of CDs) you won't bother anyone late at night. 

I approve of this nonsense!
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2009, 11:40:01 PM »

They have a guitar player in the family??? I gotta hear that! And Future Man (Roy) is an amazing percussionist. What I love about Victor though is how versatile he is. He even sounds great on bluegrass records, I'd never heard anybody play rhythms like that on bluegrass songs. 

Btw, thanks for showin' the banjo some respect. I think Clawhammer style is freakin' spooky, and I love to play Music Box from FFV and Epitaph from VI on mine. Over and over. Alot of video game music reeally sounds great on a banjo.

And, hell yeah, Doug! I forgot that existed. Miss that show. And Rocko's Modern Life. And, kinda unrelated, but I wish they'd release Daria on DVD already dangit. 

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2009, 08:18:52 AM »

Yeah, Regi Wooten plays guitar.  I remember when YouTube first hit the internet, one of the first videos I looked for was Regi and Victor doing a thump off/slap battle. 

One of my favorite albums ever is "Be the Change" by Prasanna (an Indian guitarist who's from the same town as my dad) and Victor Wooten and Alphonso Johnson both played bass on it.  It's a sweet fusion of Indian music and jazz. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2009, 09:51:35 AM »

Did you guys see that Steve Martin (the actor) recently released a new banjo album?  I understand it's all original stuff that he's written.  For the benefit of the uninitiated, Steve Martin is an awesome banjo player.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2009, 09:41:10 AM »

I guess I can elaborate as well. I read all the time. Mostly Fantasy or Horror. I'm getting into the "Sword of Truth" series lately and loving it. I've also got a thing for Zombies and have an extensive collection of movies and books on the subject.  I have an unhealthy obsession with "The Simpsons" and quote the show constantly, much to the dismay of family, friends and co-workers. The only thing else I guess would be music. I'm mostly metal but but I can appreciate most anything on some level. Minus, of course, all popular poppy fucking pop-corn shit played on the radio. Getting into the music I like in detail would be far too time consuming and I don't feel like typing that much right now. Oh, I also like to cook a good meal now and then.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: