Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 02:01:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332815 Posts in 13637 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The hobbies thread. What do folks do other than gaming?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: The hobbies thread. What do folks do other than gaming?  (Read 14613 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 08:01:58 PM »

I use Photoshop like a pro and do anything that pertains to Photoshopping (drawing, colouring, editing, making a new iPhone theme/wallpapers, fucking around 4chan style).

Occasional music edits/mixing, and obtaining as much as I can.

Working out.

Oddly enough, I love cleaning.  My mum is a bit of a pack rat, and I've expressed myself to be anything but.\

Movies.

I love figuring people out; what their humour is, how the talk, what they like.  I take pride in trying to learn about a little bit of everything, so I can somehow relate to anyone I meet.

Surfing the internet (the world's a big place, nice to know what's going on)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 01:41:36 AM »

I had hobbies before I turned into a student. It has been five years since that happened, and my hobbies have mostly gone down the drain in that time. I've had the energy for them sometimes, but when I haven't been in school (which was usually summers) I never had much energy to pursue them. But guess, what! I'm graduating in less than two weeks, and I'll have time for my hobbies again! w00t!

So outside of video games here is what I like to do:

Reading has been one of my favorite hobbies since I was young, and the only thing that compares to curling up late at night to play a good video game is curling up to read a good book. Unfortunately, as an English major I've had to do tons of reading for the past three and a half years and hardly any of it was recreational. I'm burned out with reading and I don't think I'll pick up another book for a while because I just stress out whenever I think about reading anything. Even graphic novels and manga have suffered from this; I just can't do it.

Hiking is probably my favorite outdoor hobby, and camping coincides with this one. I haven't had the energy for the last few years and I live in one of the best states for hiking in the country! I think I'll make a trip to Zion National Park and hike the Narrows later this summer. I made it down last year and did the hike to Angel's Landing and it was so intense/gorgeous/fun, so I need to go back. Maybe a trip to Arches National Monument should be in the works too. My dog, Pepper, is my intrepid companion on most easy, but longer hikes.

I really also like fishing. River fishing to be exact. I hate fishing on lakes, and I don't really think I'd much enjoy the ocean either. It is always fun to get out there and go barefoot into a freezing cold river on a hot summer day and catch fish. I know of some awesome spots here in Utah too, and I always catch my limit. Yes, I do eat the fish I catch (unless they're small, best to throw those little guys back). One day I hope to go to Alaska on a fishing excursion just to catch one or two big salmon.

When I was a teenager, I liked skateboarding. I never owned one, and I was never good, but seeing so many people at my school riding longboards I got envious and bought one. I haven't rode mine nearly enough, but it is pretty sweet bombing hills and cruising down the Provo Canyon trail. Nice easy rides are fun too.

Finally, you can chalk me up as a fan of creative writing too. I used to post some of my stuff on the boards a long time ago, but when I decided to emphasize in literary studies, my writing time took the biggest hit of all my hobbies. I haven't produced a single story in almost two and a half years. But some of my friends from school are starting a writer's group since we'll all be graduating and I'll be a member. I think they only asked me to join because of my proofreading skills though :/

My goal is to get back into shape once school is finished. So running and working out will hopefully join my hobbies list before long.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 02:26:29 AM »

Working out. Probably close to 2+ hours a day.

Watching movies. Being a film student, I like to think of this as doing my homework.

Writing. Usually poetry and short stories, but I've written a few plays and am working on a few larger projects. Haven't been published in anything past student magazines, but I'm working on it.

I like going to concerts, but haven't had any opportunities to this semester. Going to see David Cook next month, if that counts (hey, I think he's the best thing to come out of American Idol, if nothing else). Only other thing I have lined up this year is lollapalooza, but that's a ways away.

Also, currently trying to learn C++. I have no resources for this besides the internet, so it's been tough going. I lump this in with my hobbies because "trying to learn something new and ultimately failing" is a favorite past time of mine.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:34:10 AM by everluck » Logged

[/url]
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 02:59:50 AM »

everluck: I suck at it but I might be able to help you with the C++ stuff. Also about.com used to have some decentish tutorials depending on how much of a beginner you are and LazyFoo has good... SDL things.

My problem with programming is that I don't have a good handle on things like class design and uh, general... program *structuring* issues which I haven't had much look finding any information on. I think I'm taking a class on that next semester but there's like a 50% chance the class doesn't actually address what it's supposed to in favor of more Java or something.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 06:23:20 AM »

TANGENT: How about this for a frightening thought?  An RPGFan metal band with D-Rider on lead guitar, Losfer on vocals & rhythm guitar, Lard on drums, and me on bass... 

Hell, I'm in if you are. :D

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2009, 09:57:06 AM »

I usually sit around writing yaoi fan fiction about Losfer and D-Rider.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2009, 10:15:47 AM »

Is it based on PSO?

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 11:48:44 AM »

I garden. A lot. It is really not just a hobby. It is what I DO. I know when some people hear the word "garden" they think of veggies, but they are only a small part of it. I enjoy the design/layout, the constructing of stone walks and walls, and tinkering with perennial combination's. Over the course of 10 years I have created my own personal sanctuary, and am quite proud of it. It is ongoing, though, which I love.

I read a lot. Mostly high fantasy, but some sci-fi and mystery stories too.

I like taking pictures. Mostly nature influenced, but all with the goal of being meaningful and artistic. Moments in time captured forever. I take my picture taking a bit too seriously...

I love movies, and would love to get to the theater WAY more than 3-4 times a year, but life has a way of getting in the way.
Even my home viewing is a lot less than I would like. Maybe one a week with episodes of BSG in between.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 12:18:43 PM »

Reading has been one of my favorite hobbies since I was young, and the only thing that compares to curling up late at night to play a good video game is curling up to read a good book. Unfortunately, as an English major I've had to do tons of reading for the past three and a half years and hardly any of it was recreational. I'm burned out with reading and I don't think I'll pick up another book for a while because I just stress out whenever I think about reading anything. Even graphic novels and manga have suffered from this; I just can't do it.

Oh do I know the pains of being an English major and how it ruins your zest for reading.  After I got out of school, I couldn't go near a book for about a year and a half.  I finally started reading again, but man it took some time before I even wanted to go near a book.  Reading every night in college for hours on end will do that to ya.  So I feel your pain. 

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 12:50:10 PM »

Oddly enough, I love cleaning.  My mum is a bit of a pack rat, and I've expressed myself to be anything but.

Ooh, yeah. Me too. Cleaning, organizing, getting things to look in order. It's a good way to relieve stress and tension too. I'm all about room cleaning when I'm trying to procrastinate schoolwork. :P

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 04:11:13 PM »

everluck: I suck at it but I might be able to help you with the C++ stuff. Also about.com used to have some decentish tutorials depending on how much of a beginner you are and LazyFoo has good... SDL things.
That's rad, thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

[/url]
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2009, 04:25:08 PM »

I usually sit around writing yaoi fan fiction about Losfer and D-Rider.

What can I say, I'm so tsundere.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2009, 08:45:54 PM »

Oh do I know the pains of being an English major and how it ruins your zest for reading.  After I got out of school, I couldn't go near a book for about a year and a half.  I finally started reading again, but man it took some time before I even wanted to go near a book.  Reading every night in college for hours on end will do that to ya.  So I feel your pain. 

Most of my aliteracy stems from my master's in history and the insane amounts of material I had to read in the course of those 7ish years.  Burnout is inevitable after such a thing, I think. 

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2009, 09:17:41 PM »

In my spare time, I procreate.

And then try to be a good dad too. :P

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2009, 09:56:06 PM »

Spend way too much time in front of my computer. :P

Outside of that, I don't really have much. I read, but not as much as I should. And I swim for exercise purposes about once a week.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: